NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
FutureSailor316

FutureSailor316 is on a distinguished road
Default Initial PT Test at RTC

I am curious as to what the pass/fail percentage is for the initial pt test at RTC? Do you typically run outside or inside?
FutureSailor316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

A lot of people fail the first PT test.
You're not allowed to PT until you are medically cleared (basically the first week), that coupled with the lack of sleep, stress, and sickness really dampens your scores.

I believe all RTC runs are inside.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
BubbaGumps64

BubbaGumps64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
A lot of people fail the first PT test.
You're not allowed to PT until you are medically cleared (basically the first week), that coupled with the lack of sleep, stress, and sickness really dampens your scores.

I believe all RTC runs are inside.
Yes, you run inside Freedom Hall.
BubbaGumps64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
savphoto

savphoto is on a distinguished road

All PT is done indoors until your last victory sort of run where you get to run around the whole base. My division didn't get to do the victory run because the base was snowed in. Quite a few people fail their initial PRT. If you are not an active runner, or have not ran in a while, that mile and a half run might be a little of a challenge. I remember my initial run was barely passing in order to advance to E2.
savphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
Temen
**Active Duty**

Temen will become famous soon enough

A lot of people will fail the initial PFA. I want to say close to half of my division did, but don't worry by time the final PFA came around no one failed it in my division.
Temen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
FutureSailor316

I love to run so that should not be a problem. I can do around 75 curl ups in 2 minutes. Doing the 100 push up challenge now so I can get good at those. I am in week 2 of the 100 push up challenge.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
FutureSailor316

How often do you push ups in basic? Everyday? 6 days a week?
Old 12-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Push ups are a common IT exercise, so you will likely be doing them frequently outside normal PT.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
FutureSailor316

I see. Push ups is an area I currently struggle in but am working very hard at. I have already progressed quite a bit since I started doing them about a month a go. I have just now started a structured push up plan and am currently in week 2 of that. I just want to excel at both the academic and physical aspects of being in the Navy.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
Diesirae27

Diesirae27 is on a distinguished road

Remember to exhale on exertion. If you haven't already looked up proper form, there are vids via youtube. What does your pushup plans consist of? There are different ways do do push-ups. You are only as strong as your stabilization muscles. Therefore, using different forms of push-ups and other exercises will help you be safer, better and faster while training.

I had a bad habit of holding by breath on exertion which starves the body of much needed oxygen and increases the likelihood of a hernia during certain exercises.
Diesirae27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
FutureSailor316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesirae27 View Post
Remember to exhale on exertion. If you haven't already looked up proper form, there are vids via youtube. What does your pushup plans consist of? There are different ways do do push-ups. You are only as strong as your stabilization muscles. Therefore, using different forms of push-ups and other exercises will help you be safer, better and faster while training.

I had a bad habit of holding by breath on exertion which starves the body of much needed oxygen and increases the likelihood of a hernia during certain exercises.
My push up program is the One Hundred Push Up Challenge. I do this on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Basically I do body weight on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (push ups, curl ups, planks, flutter kicks, bicycle crunches, russian twists, leg raises, etc). On Tuesday and Thursday I do a kettlebell HIIT workout. I am not a huge fan of weight lifting. I run whenever weather permits.