NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #1
austin_andres

austin_andres is on a distinguished road

Hello, I'm currently in the process of joining the navy and I would like to be an AWO Aircrewman. Due to some circumstances I would have a choice of shipping soon and going in as FTS or waiting a long time and going AD. Would i be able to go FTS AWO? Which is a better lifestyle, AD or FTS? I go to meps on Monday so any additional information would be much appreciated.
austin_andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:53 AM   #2
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_andres View Post
Hello, I'm currently in the process of joining the navy and I would like to be an AWO Aircrewman. Due to some circumstances I would have a choice of shipping soon and going in as FTS or waiting a long time and going AD. Would i be able to go FTS AWO? Which is a better lifestyle, AD or FTS? I go to meps on Monday so any additional information would be much appreciated.
The only FTS Aircrew orders are AWF Loadmasters and Flight Attendants on C-130's, C-40's, and C-12's... AWO is only initially available for AD, however you can transition to SelRes after your first enlistment if there's available orders in either of the two reserve maritime patrol squadrons.

My advice if you want AWO is to stick it out for the AD slot and use the time to physically prepare yourself for Aircrew Candidate School.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:54 PM   #3
papaseals

papaseals is on a distinguished road
Default Medical question

This is an awesome thread. Lots of info...

I read on another site that hay fever will disqualify you. Is this a diagnoses question or do they test for it? I imagine everyone gets some form of runny nose when exposed to high levels of pollen and its interesting that this would disqualify you. I understand some people have a more severe reaction to pollen so what is the extent they will allow it.

Thanks.
papaseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaseals View Post
This is an awesome thread. Lots of info...

I read on another site that hay fever will disqualify you. Is this a diagnoses question or do they test for it? I imagine everyone gets some form of runny nose when exposed to high levels of pollen and its interesting that this would disqualify you. I understand some people have a more severe reaction to pollen so what is the extent they will allow it.

Thanks.
For the Naval Aerospace Medical Institute (NAMI), Hay Fever or Rhinitis is mostly on a case-by-case basis.

What the flight doc is going to base that on is how often do you have symptoms, how much does it complicate things, and what the actual state of your sinuses are (IE do you have polyps, cysts, something like that).

Typically seasonal allergies are not considered disqualifying, however sinus issues that are consistent or have a large impact would be considered disqualifying.

The reason for this is barotrauma. If your sinuses are all blocked up then your they're going to have a significantly harder time equalizing as you change altitude. Military aircraft change altitude MUCH faster than a civilian aircraft in some cases, so if you're sinuses aren't working correctly then it could case some major issues. Things like blowing your ear drums out or having extreme ear pain, nose bleeds, hearing loss, etc. If you were to experience those in flight it could jeopardize you, your crew, and the mission as a whole (IE they might have to land just for you).

/r
CTT1

Source: NAMI Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide
Old 08-02-2016, 12:52 AM   #5
blacktemplar

blacktemplar is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to stop by and say I'm jealous of all the aircrew types.
If I stay enlisted after I get outta Japan and cross rate to CTX, I'd love to join you all.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:37 PM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktemplar View Post
Just wanted to stop by and say I'm jealous of all the aircrew types.
If I stay enlisted after I get outta Japan and cross rate to CTX, I'd love to join you all.
Unfortunately, for the most part flying CT's will be a thing of the past in the next few years. There will be a very small handful of billets left over, although they will typically be for guys who've already got their wings.

If you're looking for some fun though, UAVs might be possible for the right people/backgrounds, also Spec War is available for 2nd tour (2nd tour as a CT) guys.

/r
CTT1
Old 08-02-2016, 11:09 PM   #7
blacktemplar

blacktemplar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
Unfortunately, for the most part flying CT's will be a thing of the past in the next few years. There will be a very small handful of billets left over, although they will typically be for guys who've already got their wings.

If you're looking for some fun though, UAVs might be possible for the right people/backgrounds, also Spec War is available for 2nd tour (2nd tour as a CT) guys.

/r
CTT1
Doesn't there have to be some sort of new blood with the P8s? I understand the numbers will dwindle though.
V/r
YNSN
Old 08-04-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktemplar View Post
Doesn't there have to be some sort of new blood with the P8s? I understand the numbers will dwindle though.
V/r
YNSN
I can't elaborate on here but the short answer is no.

A lot of the transition plans involving the EP-3 and it's personnel are still classified. But suffice to say it will be much different than what it is today, both manning and platform wise.

I got to attend a town-hall kind of meeting with all the head-honchos that are planning this whole thing though and I feel much more comfortable with what they want to do and how they want to do it. Although we as CT's will be doing the same thing, it will be very different at the same time.

There's your smoke and mirrors for the afternoon, courtesy of your friendly neighborhood spook!

/r
CTT1
Old 08-11-2016, 05:15 PM   #9
tasteytots

tasteytots is on a distinguished road

I have lurked a couple times previously on this forum page to better inform myself about AIRC. I am currently shipping out to RTC on the 23rd and can not wait to get started.

It is nice to see that a lot of people are willing to jump on the ball and share as much information as they can to us new people entering the Navy and AIRC program.

With that said, I have seen that AIRC as AWS can go into Helos but seem to be going to the MH-53 like I have seen Haasino mention in previous comments. Though can an AIRC/AWS get placed on to a MH-60 or some other sort of helo? I spent some time at the airshow, speaking with a few Marine Aircrew and they shared that if I wanted to end up trying to get onto a helo/ rotary wing that I should let them know at some point in time at NACCS? I know things are at the needs of the navy, and with the switching to P-8s I hear most new AIRC are going AWO.

Completing NACCS and to be able to receive a rating within AW would be amazing no matter what it is given to me. Being apart of the aviation community with the Navy is what I have wanted since I can remember.
tasteytots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:55 PM   #10
Cechols2010

Cechols2010 is on a distinguished road
Default Navy questiom

Im an e-1 in a-pact who leaves for rtc next week I want to become aircrew is this possible im eligible for advanement to e-2 in rtc and if so how do I go about becoming aircrew Ill take any rating in aircrew
Cechols2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:57 PM   #11
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_andres View Post
I start candidate school tomorrow. But over half my class will be on security hold after completion of candidate school, does anyone have any information on security holds?
Most training schools after NACCS require a Secret security clearance or higher, so people who's clearances haven't cleared yet are usually held at NACCS. It's a better deal, in my opinion... when I was at NACCS, you didn't need a liberty buddy and were treated like more of an adult than the NATTC side of base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cechols2010 View Post
Im an e-1 in a-pact who leaves for rtc next week I want to become aircrew is this possible im eligible for advanement to e-2 in rtc and if so how do I go about becoming aircrew Ill take any rating in aircrew
So... this is not the answer you're going to want to hear, but I believe it's better to hear the truth even when it's bad news. Your chances of going Aircrew is very, very slim right now. Contrary to what some of the outdated job sheets show, you cannot volunteer for Aircrew duties from a non AW[x] rating... the notable exception being for CT types like CTT1 Griffin (Though that's closing with the sunset of Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron One) and CS' on Air Force One.

You can study the Enlisted Community Managers page for more info... the short version is that AWO is closed to anyone but other Aircrew rates like AWF and AWV converting in... AWF is only open to E-5's in aviation maintenance rating for the E-6B Mercury and C-2 Greyhound... and AWV is not open for convert-in opportunities at all. The only possible option would be to go into the Naval Special Warfare program and try to Rescue Swimmer on the MH-60R or MH-60S helo's.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:56 PM   #12
bwall0430

bwall0430 is on a distinguished road
Default aircrew rate info

I'm graduating NACCS soon and was curious about the active duty side of AWF as well as AWS dry. These are the two common billets being given out right now. Where can you get stationed as an AWF and is it a decent gig?
bwall0430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:53 AM   #13
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall0430 View Post
I'm graduating NACCS soon and was curious about the active duty side of AWF as well as AWS dry. These are the two common billets being given out right now. Where can you get stationed as an AWF and is it a decent gig?
I'm assuming you're asking about the FE track, and not the FTS route.

I'm not an FE myself so I can't speak to everything for them, but they do work long hours and are pretty involved with maintenance; much more so than the rest of us. That being said though, you're flying a lot more you're in the cockpit 90% of the time, and you get a great rapport with your pilots.

Since P-3s and my beloved EP-3 are destined to go away, most FEs that aren't in the community already can most likely expect to head to platforms like the C2 and I also think they might be taking a few people down at Tinker AFB for the E-6B. Additionally, AWFs that aren't FEs will serve as Loadmasters in VR squadrons.

Either way, you're flying. And flying is pretty dope.

Fly Navy!

/r
CTT1

*EDIT*
Just took a look at the AWF community sheet; it indeed looks like most of their new folks are headed for E-6B and C-2 platforms.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:44 PM   #14
bwall0430

bwall0430 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post

I'm not an FE myself so I can't speak to everything for them, but they do work long hours and are pretty involved with maintenance; much more so than the rest of us. That being said though, you're flying a lot more you're in the cockpit 90% of the time, and you get a great rapport with your pilots.

Since P-3s and my beloved EP-3 are destined to go away, most FEs that aren't in the community already can most likely expect to head to platforms like the C2 and I also think they might be taking a few people down at Tinker AFB for the E-6B. Additionally, AWFs that aren't FEs will serve as Loadmasters in VR squadrons.

Fly Navy!

/r
CTT1

*EDIT*
Just took a look at the AWF community sheet; it indeed looks like most of their new folks are headed for E-6B and C-2 platforms.
Thank you so much for the reply, not a whole lot of info on these two rates that's available haha. How about the dry AWS side? I understand you're flying on 53's and only out in Norfolk. What exactly do they do? Also, aren't the c-2's getting phased out? That's what we were told at least
bwall0430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:21 PM   #15
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall0430 View Post
Thank you so much for the reply, not a whole lot of info on these two rates that's available haha. How about the dry AWS side? I understand you're flying on 53's and only out in Norfolk. What exactly do they do? Also, aren't the c-2's getting phased out? That's what we were told at least
C-2s are planning on getting phased out for V-22s. The Navy is buying about 4 a year and they're looking at making the full transition around 2021. Personally I think transferring the COD mission to V-22 is insanely dumb, so I'd expect they're going to run into plenty of issues along the way that might delay that timeline. So yes it's in the works, but it's not happening for a while.

53's I can't really speak to that much since I've never worked with them. I know they do a ton of mine clearing work though.

/r
CTT1
Old 04-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #16
BobL

BobL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNavy View Post

Fly Navy!

/r
CTT1

*EDIT*
My daughter graduated NACCS 11-22-17 and I believe her entire class went AWF. She is currently at FRS in Norfolk. She is training for C-2's.
BobL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:17 PM   #17
FutureAWOOOO

FutureAWOOOO is on a distinguished road
Default Prep for NACCS

Hello all, this is my first post on this site so I do apologize if I do anything wrong. Anyway, I’m scheduled to ship out to RTC 20200825, of course followed by NACCS. I’m already training my butt off as I’m not in ideal physical shape and I was wondering what else I could do to be ready for the challenges ahead. I am much more worried about the challenges in NACCS as that is known for being so demanding. If anyone has information about that, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
FutureAWOOOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #18
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureAWOOOO View Post
Hello all, this is my first post on this site so I do apologize if I do anything wrong. Anyway, I’m scheduled to ship out to RTC 20200825, of course followed by NACCS. I’m already training my butt off as I’m not in ideal physical shape and I was wondering what else I could do to be ready for the challenges ahead. I am much more worried about the challenges in NACCS as that is known for being so demanding. If anyone has information about that, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
First let me say welcome aboard...there are a couple here in that rate, they will get back to you soon if they are not deployed.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote