NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Hospital Corpsmen G000, L500

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #1
digitalxhottie

digitalxhottie is on a distinguished road
Talking Day-2-Day/ Traumatic?

I have always been interested in the field but I have a strange question. If I choose HM, how often if at all would I be put in a position where I have to see people with broken bones? I dont know what the day-to-day tasks are, other than seeing them take vitals and such. Im not afraid of blood, but I hate seeing people in a ton of pain. Im okay with helping in the labor and delivery because that stuff doesnt scare me either.

Im sorry if I sound crazy trying to get into a field that has opportunities for me to see things that I may not want to see. LoL
Old 07-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough

Depends on the command for sure, like every job. They see it all. My brother is an HM2(FMF) and I have heard plenty of stories from him and his buddies.

If there's any part of you that's not %100 in it I might look into something else.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
classified9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Completely depends on where you end up. You could end up doing emergency room work or maybe in the pharmacy or dental.

No matter where you end up they're going to train you for the job you're expected to do. They aren't just going to throw you in there and expect you to perform without being taught first.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:12 PM   #4
digitalxhottie

so how long is A-School then if HM's do it all? LoL
Old 07-19-2015, 09:31 PM   #5
Raca1234
**Active Duty**

Raca1234 is on a distinguished road

I'm in A-school right now, I actually graduate Tuesday, and I've been here since April 3d. If that gives you any idea
Raca1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #6
PropertyofBuMed
**Active Duty**

PropertyofBuMed has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalxhottie View Post
so how long is A-School then if HM's do it all? LoL
1. We learn only the foundation knowledge in a school.. our rate is very very ojt heavy and produces a broader array of skillsets then arguably any other rate

2. Idcs truly do it all. And that nec is a 400 day school followed by clinicals and is hands down one of the hardest programs an enlisted individual in the navy can participate in in terms of academics right up with nuke school.

3. Yes you see blood bones vomit and death.. but youll get used to it.. trust me... the navy has techniques to fix sqeamishness
PropertyofBuMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #7
digitalxhottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropertyofBuMed View Post
1. We learn only the foundation knowledge in a school.. our rate is very very ojt heavy and produces a broader array of skillsets then arguably any other rate

2. Idcs truly do it all. And that nec is a 400 day school followed by clinicals and is hands down one of the hardest programs an enlisted individual in the navy can participate in in terms of academics right up with nuke school.

3. Yes you see blood bones vomit and death.. but youll get used to it.. trust me... the navy has techniques to fix sqeamishness
Thank you for all the info What is an IDC? and what does the Navy do to fix the sqeamishness?
Old 07-30-2015, 08:37 PM   #8
PropertyofBuMed
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalxhottie View Post
Thank you for all the info What is an IDC? and what does the Navy do to fix the sqeamishness?
Idc are the highest level of corpsman. They diagnose and treat patients without medical supervision of a doctor or nurse. Qualified applicants e5 or higher apply and can be selected for the program. As for fixing squeamishness ill let that ne a suprise lol
Old 07-31-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

As far as "fixing the squeamishness" it cant be "fixed" but it gets better over time. Some get used to it fast, others don't. I may not be a HM, but I am a vet tech and I have seen some of the kids that intern with us faint, vomit and basically turn green...my own boys had to get used to it rather fast as we raise livestock and we home butcher...you might find it isn't so much what you see, but the smells...just know it does get easier over time.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #10
digitalxhottie

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
As far as "fixing the squeamishness" it cant be "fixed" but it gets better over time. Some get used to it fast, others don't. I may not be a HM, but I am a vet tech and I have seen some of the kids that intern with us faint, vomit and basically turn green...my own boys had to get used to it rather fast as we raise livestock and we home butcher...you might find it isn't so much what you see, but the smells...just know it does get easier over time.
Thank you so much for the advice! I have always wanted to be an RN and I feel that I think Ill do well, but I dont do well with knowing bones are out of place LoL But I think Ill get used to it.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:01 AM   #11
PropertyofBuMed
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
Vicks vapor rub is good for smells.. as far as fixing goes alot of hm instructors and idcs would disagree. Im highly reluctant to talk about it simply because the navy is looking real hard at some of the practices employed in the organization. The line between training and hazing is getting very thin and i aint tryñ be a part of that struggle right ñow. Eg is repeatedly exposing someone with a tendency to vag out during needle sticks to venipuncture appropriate? How about giving the guy that hates feces every c diff pt on the floor? Some things are effective but also bring into play moral and legal implications that are above my paygrade. I will say hm is a great rate.. and if you really are too squeamish for pt care and you voice that opposition theres departments you can cruise in that dont involve blood. I.e. patient admin.