NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-27-2017, 03:10 PM   #1
Nuke

Nuke is on a distinguished road
Default Pregnant as a nuke

So I'm wondering as a female nuke, what is it like to be pregnant through the pipeline???
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Not a nuke, so I don't know specifics of that pipeline, but in general, if you're pregnant and your due date is sooner than your graduation date from a class, expect to be dropped.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Just know that if you get dropped from a rate that paid a signing bonus, you would be required to pay that bonus back...seen it happen! I know of a couple of females in critical rates that got pregnant that were discharged and one that was given the opportunity to take a lesser rate that was land based...

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:45 PM   #4
scott.henry

scott.henry is on a distinguished road

If you become pregnant while you are a student at NFAS/NPS, you will continue training until you give birth. You will then take your maternity leave and be rolled into the class that is at the closest point to where you left off in training. You will, most likely, repeat some coursework because you will roll in a week or 2 prior to where you rolled out of your previous class. Prototype will be a bit different because you will be receiving occupational radiation exposure while in training and there are limits on how much a pregnant woman is allowed to receive (there are limits for everyone, but limits for pregnant women are a bit more restrictive). The bigger concern is the physical environment of the propulsion plant itself. Climbing up and down ladders in the plant is far more dangerous and risky than the radiation exposure so they will just eliminate the risk altogether by restricting you from going into the propulsion plant. What will likely happen is that as soon as you declare that you are pregnant (meaning you went to Medical and got a positive pregnancy test) they will pull your TLD and you will be placed in a medical hold status and probably perform some kind of administrative duties until the completion of your maternity leave, at which point you will resume training with the next class closest to where you left off.
I went through training with a couple of women that were pregnant at various points in training. Also, when I was an instructor at NPS there were usually a handful of females that were pregnant while going through training at any given time. Usually the only thing that pregnancy does is delay your training timeline. There is always the possibility that you will be dropped from the program, but that usually involves circumstances where you will be unable to care for your child if you continue your training and eventually serve in the Fleet. If you are dropped from the program, any bonus money you received may (and by may I mean probably will) be recouped by Uncle Sam.

"If you can't write it down, you don't understand it."
-ADM H.G. Rickover
scott.henry is offline   Reply With Quote