NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
blueice6102

blueice6102 is on a distinguished road
Default CTR vs IS

What is the difference? They seem very similar to me. Which is better?
blueice6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:10 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

ISs are "powerpoint ninjas". They take data analyzed and processed by the other CTs and organize it to present to the higher ups.

CTRs are signals analysts. They can do a lot of different jobs depending on the platform they're assigned to. Most of the ones I know write reports.

Which one is better depends on what kind of work you want to do, but they're both pretty versatile jobs.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
blueice6102

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
ISs are "powerpoint ninjas". They take data analyzed and processed by the other CTs and organize it to present to the higher ups.

CTRs are signals analysts. They can do a lot of different jobs depending on the platform they're assigned to. Most of the ones I know write reports.

Which one is better depends on what kind of work you want to do, but they're both pretty versatile jobs.
Thanks. Which one leads to a better job after the Navy? Is one more desk based than the other?
Old 01-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #4
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Neither lead to a specific job outside, but both set you up for government positions with a slightly different focus.

IS has a traditional sea/shore rotation, where CTR has an INCONUS/OUTCONUS rotation which makes them more shore heavy. However, CTR is more technical and therefore has a wider range of applications (for instance, they can go Aircrew and I know several who have deployed on IAs).
Old 01-09-2016, 08:01 PM   #5
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

IS traditionally will be more desk based than CTRs.

CTRs can go aboard ships, subs, and aircraft where IS's are much more limited.

/r
CTT1
Old 01-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #6
blueice6102

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
IS traditionally will be more desk based than CTRs.

CTRs can go aboard ships, subs, and aircraft where IS's are much more limited.

/r
CTT1
Thanks.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:17 PM   #7
blueice6102

Quote:
Neither lead to a specific job outside, but both set you up for government positions with a slightly different focus.

IS has a traditional sea/shore rotation, where CTR has an INCONUS/OUTCONUS rotation which makes them more shore heavy. However, CTR is more technical and therefore has a wider range of applications (for instance, they can go Aircrew and I know several who have deployed on IAs).
What is an "IA"?
Old 01-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #8
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueice6102 View Post
What is an "IA"?
Individual Augmentee. Where you go somewhere by yourself to augment (support) another unit.
Most well known were IA tours supporting the Army in Iraq and Afghanistan. But they can be literally anywhere in the world (including places in the US)

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:52 PM   #9
JayMaple

JayMaple is on a distinguished road

ha PR is the best so be a PR
JayMaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #10
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold

CTR!!!! Maybe I'm biased Cus that's what I am, but I'm a big fan of CTRs.

Most ISs pick up third class after TIR And completion of A school while CTRs don't have this luxury. But this also means CTRs only have 4y contracts while ISs have 6y contracts. This doesn't mean ISs always pass up CTRs though. you can get advanced quicker if you work hard no matter what. Other things to mention is CTRs get schooling at Pensacola Florida while ISs have schooling up in Virginia. I've been to both areas and like Pensacola more personally.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #11
blueice6102

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGuard07 View Post
CTR!!!! Maybe I'm biased Cus that's what I am, but I'm a big fan of CTRs.

Most ISs pick up third class after TIR And completion of A school while CTRs don't have this luxury. But this also means CTRs only have 4y contracts while ISs have 6y contracts. This doesn't mean ISs always pass up CTRs though. you can get advanced quicker if you work hard no matter what. Other things to mention is CTRs get schooling at Pensacola Florida while ISs have schooling up in Virginia. I've been to both areas and like Pensacola more personally.
Whats TIR? Time iin rate? I think I would like a 6 year contract. I live right by the IS school in Virginia. I think I am starting to prefer CTR/IS to the Admin rates of YN/AZ/PS.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:06 PM   #12
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGuard07 View Post
Most ISs pick up third class after TIR And completion of A school while CTRs don't have this luxury.
But Rs have 100% advancement to 3rd class, so it isn't like it really takes much longer. It's just testing vs submitting a chit.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #13
blueice6102

Quote:
But Rs have 100% advancement to 3rd class, so it isn't like it really takes much longer. It's just testing vs submitting a chit.
Interesting. Thanks for all your insight.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #14
SBE6287

SBE6287 is on a distinguished road

So I was in CTR A school and was dropped because I wasn't handling how technically advanced it is. CTR was the alternative rate my recruiter came with because I originally wanted IS but it wasn't available unless I did Reserve and I wanted active duty. How advanced is IS?
SBE6287 is offline   Reply With Quote