NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 09-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #101
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Been seeing some CT/Security Clearance questions pop up again.

Bumping for visibility.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:07 PM   #102
peanutbutter

peanutbutter is on a distinguished road

is it possible for someone with a moral waiver to get a DAR approved for a CT or IS rating?
peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:05 AM   #103
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutbutter View Post
is it possible for someone with a moral waiver to get a DAR approved for a CT or IS rating?
Anything that shows poor moral judgement will normally disqualify you from access to classified material, especially at the TS//SCI level. So most likely CT or IS is not a path that will be open to you if you're enlisting with a moral waiver.

/r
CTT1
Old 09-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #104
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

I've mentioned it a few times in other threads, but I personally work with people who have prior criminal records ranging from DUI and teenage shoplifting convictions, to one guy on my crew with a felony receiving stolen property arrest (Plead out as a misdemeanor)... and all have Secret to TS/SCI clearances. It seems to come down to frequency and time since offense. One screw-up in your teens... with several years of productive behavior since... doesn't seem to be a disqualifier when determining clearance eligibility.

I myself have my teenage delinquency blemish... my investigator for my SSBI spent more time asking about my prior advisory work in the movie industry than he did about my record.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:47 PM   #105
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
I've mentioned it a few times in other threads, but I personally work with people who have prior criminal records ranging from DUI and teenage shoplifting convictions, to one guy on my crew with a felony receiving stolen property arrest (Plead out as a misdemeanor)... and all have Secret to TS/SCI clearances. It seems to come down to frequency and time since offense. One screw-up in your teens... with several years of productive behavior since... doesn't seem to be a disqualifier when determining clearance eligibility.

I myself have my teenage delinquency blemish... my investigator for my SSBI spent more time asking about my prior advisory work in the movie industry than he did about my record.

I would take that with a grain of salt, Hass.
Keep in mind that by needing a moral waiver, that means this individual would have been ineligible for military service without that waiver. That's something that DONCAF is going to see.

Getting a SECRET clearance might be doable, but in most cases TS//SCI is a much more difficult thing to get when you have a record. Like you said, it does depend on the specific offense, where, and when it was committed. But by all accounts having a police record, especially one requiring a waiver, is not a favorable thing when applying for clearance, let alone when going into the SIGINT realm.

Is it possible, sure. But it all depends on what it was and if DONCAF feels that it shows moral turpitude.

/r
CTT1
Old 09-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #106
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

I only speak with confidence on the guy with the felony arrest/misd. theft conviction because I helped him complete his e-QIP, and later saw his granted TS/SCI when we both had our access checked through JPAS. I needed a moral waiver to join as well... didn't disqualify me. Now, we both joined into a Program that initially required a Secret, and was upgraded down the line... would it have been a different story had we been trying for a community with a TS needed right out the gate? Quite possibly...

Also, in my case it had been close to a decade since being a dumb teenager... in my buddy's case, close to 15 years... so the situation will obviously be different for the 18 year-old trying to get a clearance with a record from 2-3 years prior.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #107
peanutbutter

peanutbutter is on a distinguished road

would it make a difference if i was never charged with anything? when i was a teen, i paid a restitution fee and the place never charged me and dont have anything on my record
peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #108
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutbutter View Post
would it make a difference if i was never charged with anything? when i was a teen, i paid a restitution fee and the place never charged me and dont have anything on my record
If you don't have anything on your record then yes you would still have a chance at going CT/IS. Everything is on a case by case basis thought. Just be upfront with everything that you're asked and see how it goes!

/r
CTT1
Old 09-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #109
Breakdancer/EOD

Breakdancer/EOD is on a distinguished road
Default Aircrew Ctt

I recently graduated from A school and i was told that there were no more billets for aircrew when I applied. How do I know if my instructor put in the billet. I never got an answer, i just got order to go to norfolk (attached to the George Bush)

Breakdancer/EOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #110
CivisTerram

CivisTerram is on a distinguished road

I've got a related question for a spook. I've heard that debt in collections can screw one's chances of getting a TS clearance. I had a college debt go into
collections, about a thousand bucks, and set up a payment plan. Still in good
standing with the agency. Would this be an issue?
CivisTerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #111
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakdancer/EOD View Post
I recently graduated from A school and i was told that there were no more billets for aircrew when I applied. How do I know if my instructor put in the billet. I never got an answer, i just got order to go to norfolk (attached to the George Bush)
Your instructor doesn't "put in" a billet. It's either there or it isn't. The only one who decides that is the rating adviser up in Millington. So if your instructor made the call and there weren't any, then there weren't any at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivisTerram View Post
I've got a related question for a spook. I've heard that debt in collections can screw one's chances of getting a TS clearance. I had a college debt go into
collections, about a thousand bucks, and set up a payment plan. Still in good
standing with the agency. Would this be an issue?
Debt can definitely cause issues during your investigation; however, college debt is understandable and if you have a payment plan in place and are in good standing then it shouldn't cause you any issues. They're more worried about say if you owed $20,000 on a house or car or something like that. College debt is super common though.

/r
CTT1
Old 10-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #112
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Bump
Old 10-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #113
USNAVYCASTRO

USNAVYCASTRO is on a distinguished road

Hey CTT1 I posted this in another thread. But I'll post here cause I don't think anyone noticed :p
regarding the security clearances for CTI/CTT/CTN my mother and older sister are not US Citizens, they are residents. I know they are planning on taking the citizenship test, so should I wait to join aCT rating until they are citizens? Is it possible to join a different rate and then when they become citizens swap to a CT rating?
USNAVYCASTRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:37 PM   #114
Maverick07

Maverick07 will become famous soon enough

Just finished reading this thread and gathered a lot of valuable information. Excited to be a future CTN, but I have 5 months til I ship. I have years of experience using Windows and Microsoft Office programs, but none in programming or networking. Any CTN's have a networking tutorial book that they would recommend? Would like to build a foundation to give me a leg up when I get to A school, because programming and networking is going to be challenging. Thanks for any advice. I appreciate it.
Maverick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #115
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNAVYCASTRO View Post
Hey CTT1 I posted this in another thread. But I'll post here cause I don't think anyone noticed :p
regarding the security clearances for CTI/CTT/CTN my mother and older sister are not US Citizens, they are residents. I know they are planning on taking the citizenship test, so should I wait to join aCT rating until they are citizens? Is it possible to join a different rate and then when they become citizens swap to a CT rating?
Castro,
As long as YOU are a citizen, that's what counts. Your family being residents is going to be a crap ton of paperwork no matter when they become citizens (since they were born in another country). Just be upfront on your paperwork and get everything the investigator will need and you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick07 View Post
Just finished reading this thread and gathered a lot of valuable information. Excited to be a future CTN, but I have 5 months til I ship. I have years of experience using Windows and Microsoft Office programs, but none in programming or networking. Any CTN's have a networking tutorial book that they would recommend? Would like to build a foundation to give me a leg up when I get to A school, because programming and networking is going to be challenging. Thanks for any advice. I appreciate it.
I'll touch base on the 2 big things you mentioned:
Networking: Study material as if you were going to take your CCNA. That cert is going to cover a TON of what you're going to pick up in the cyber realm. Having at least a working understanding of the concepts in CCNA will make life a lot easier. If I had to pick the most important thing though, I would say LEARN TO SUBNET. You should be able to subnet using only a pen and paper and be able to tell me Network Address, Gateway, First Usable address, Broadcast Address, and what the next network address after that would be. If you can do that before A-school, you're going to have a significantly easier time there.

Programming: Don't stress too much on this one. If you want to be a programmer then there might be some opportunities at whatever site you land at. But they aren't going to start drilling you on Perl scripts or anything in A-school haha So don't stress about knowing how to code.

Let me know if you have more questions! I'm currently part of the cyber world myself, so I have a very close relationship with CTNs.

/r
CTT1
Old 10-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #116
Navyftw93

Navyftw93 is on a distinguished road

So i'm leaving in just a week for boot, going IS. Do you have any wisdom to shine on the IS rating? (:
Old 10-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #117
NavySpouse

NavySpouse is on a distinguished road

I am wondering if/why does the Navy consider Persian Farsi an Arabic dialect? They are two separate languages. Is there a way to change the language after boot camp and prior to A school?

Last edited by NavySpouse; 10-09-2014 at 07:52 PM.
NavySpouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #118
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

your spouse should be finding out that information. If it was any other job would you be calling their boss?

The languages are based on their test scores.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #119
NavySpouse

Good point, I'm overreacting, but was really looking forward to the one. It's hard to just feel like I'm along for the ride and be okay with it, but it's something to work towards. It's hard to be in the blind though, even if I have questions for her, I can't get any answered from her for like two weeks, but I guess that's kind of the point of boot camp to prepare us for it.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #120
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

It can be frustrating at times (I've been a navy spouse longer than I've been a sailor). But it's something you and she will have to figure out.
You may want to join a military spouse group, because you really aren't alone. MilitarySOS is a pretty good group; it can take some getting used to, but there is a lot of good information.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #121
Willow

Willow is on a distinguished road

I have a question regarding my contract. My rate is CTN and I'm going in as an E-2. I have an A & C school in my contract. One of my enlistment guarantees is "Training in the Advanced Electronics Field (AEF)... and advancement to paygrade (E-4) per MILPERSMAN Articles 1160-040 and 1510-030." My recruiter just told me I would automatically get E-4 after completion of A-School, but after reading 1510-030 there seems to be a few catches.

On Page 8:" ... c. Personnel are authorized guaranteed advancement to E-4
after successfully completing “A” school or advanced training
required to attain rating designation and after serving 6 months
TIR as an E-3
. The following must also be completed or obtained
prior to advancement to E-4:
(1) All requirements completed for advancement in rate;
(2) Performance appraisal review;
(3) Command officer’s recommendation. "

If I'm reading this right I won't get E-4 immediately upon completion of A-school, since I'll be an E-2 during A-school and won't have fulfilled the necessary 6 months TIR as an E-3.

Was my recruiter right about getting E-4 immediately upon completion of A-school or is my reading of MILPERSMAN correct? Also, is it normal to get Command officer's recommendation if you get good grades and graduate?

I forget which MILPERSMAN article it was in, but I read that A-school for CTN's is in and of itself considered advanced training, and as such rewards an NEC to it's graduates. Does this mean that CTN's with a C-school would get two NECs somehow? Or just the initial one, perhaps?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #122
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
I have a question regarding my contract. My rate is CTN and I'm going in as an E-2. I have an A & C school in my contract. One of my enlistment guarantees is "Training in the Advanced Electronics Field (AEF)... and advancement to paygrade (E-4) per MILPERSMAN Articles 1160-040 and 1510-030." My recruiter just told me I would automatically get E-4 after completion of A-School, but after reading 1510-030 there seems to be a few catches.

On Page 8:" ... c. Personnel are authorized guaranteed advancement to E-4
after successfully completing “A” school or advanced training
required to attain rating designation and after serving 6 months
TIR as an E-3
. The following must also be completed or obtained
prior to advancement to E-4:
(1) All requirements completed for advancement in rate;
(2) Performance appraisal review;
(3) Command officer’s recommendation. "

If I'm reading this right I won't get E-4 immediately upon completion of A-school, since I'll be an E-2 during A-school and won't have fulfilled the necessary 6 months TIR as an E-3.

Was my recruiter right about getting E-4 immediately upon completion of A-school or is my reading of MILPERSMAN correct? Also, is it normal to get Command officer's recommendation if you get good grades and graduate?

I forget which MILPERSMAN article it was in, but I read that A-school for CTN's is in and of itself considered advanced training, and as such rewards an NEC to it's graduates. Does this mean that CTN's with a C-school would get two NECs somehow? Or just the initial one, perhaps?

Thanks for any help you can give!
So a couple things here...

Your recruiter is both right and wrong at the same time. Yes you will be a push-button 3rd class, but you WILL have to have TIR to get promoted. That's standard for any automatic E4 in the Navy regardless if you're a CTN, Nuke, whatever. The part about the CO's recommendation, you don't need to worry about that part. The command will get all the needed paperwork together, as this is a normal occurrence and there are gonna be plenty of other people in your same position. Once you get the TIR out of the way, it's a pretty simple process to get your crow.

Before CTN A-school was JCAC, it was a series of Network Analysis courses (BDNA, IDNA, ADNA). Those I believe did grant an NEC for some reason, but now that all those courses fall under JCAC, I don't believe you'll be getting an NEC just for A-school. C-school though, yes.

/r
CTT1
Old 10-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #123
Willow

Willow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
So a couple things here...

Your recruiter is both right and wrong at the same time. Yes you will be a push-button 3rd class, but you WILL have to have TIR to get promoted. That's standard for any automatic E4 in the Navy regardless if you're a CTN, Nuke, whatever. The part about the CO's recommendation, you don't need to worry about that part. The command will get all the needed paperwork together, as this is a normal occurrence and there are gonna be plenty of other people in your same position. Once you get the TIR out of the way, it's a pretty simple process to get your crow.

Before CTN A-school was JCAC, it was a series of Network Analysis courses (BDNA, IDNA, ADNA). Those I believe did grant an NEC for some reason, but now that all those courses fall under JCAC, I don't believe you'll be getting an NEC just for A-school. C-school though, yes.

/r
CTT1
Ahh, gotcha. Just to clarify though - that TIR will have to be as an E-3, not E-2?
Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #124
NavySpouse

What can be expected as far as sea/shore duty and/or deployments. Typically how long would we be apart in the CTI rating and assumedly where are stations for middle eastern languages. How much work does the Navy CTI do with the other branches as well. Will you work with Army and Airforce or almost exclusively Navy
Old 10-13-2014, 03:52 AM   #125
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySpouse View Post
What can be expected as far as sea/shore duty and/or deployments. Typically how long would we be apart in the CTI rating and assumedly where are stations for middle eastern languages. How much work does the Navy CTI do with the other branches as well. Will you work with Army and Airforce or almost exclusively Navy
CTIs don't have a sea/shore rotation, just an in CONUS/out CONUS one. Sand languages go to Georgia. There are opportunities for aircrew (need to be in good shape, pass aircrew and SERE school), dirsup (short term assignment to ships, not ships company), and subs (males only), but it'll come down to needs of the navy. Those kinds of assignments are mostly navy, but shore duty is mostly joint.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #126
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Recently got this question in my inbox:

I went to the recruiter today and i am dead set on CTM but they said i need to be a little more open for them to send me to MEPS... I want to be in the CT field and i want to do hands on work... What does the CTT Rate do and what can you tell me?

Thank you
Alaina

======================================
As a T brancher, you're definitely going to be getting to do hands on work. If getting into the circuits and chasing wire's (as well as operating the Electronic Warfare suite) is something that you'd be interested in, then I would consider the AEF route in the CTT rate. AEF is for the 6yr contracts for Sailors that undergo additional months of technical training to be able to troubleshoot the internal electronics of our systems.

Even as just an operator tough, I was constantly working on everything from the circuit cards to our chaff launching system, to the antennas. So either way you go, you're going to be hands on with your equipment.

Overall, as a CTT in the AEF pipeline, you would be doing just as much tech work as a a CTM, just on a different system. The bonus of being a T branch tech though is that you get to actually operate the system you're working on. You'll not only be able to repair the equipment, but you'll also be involved in combat operations for the ship. CTM's don't really role in operating the equipment they repair or manning a combat related station.

/r
CTT1
Old 10-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #127
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Bump
Old 10-31-2014, 03:03 PM   #128
Jdubbs

Jdubbs is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for this thread.. I leave for Boot January 6th as a CTN. Doing all the research i possibly can because even my recruiter couldn't tell me much about my Rate. You're tidbit on CTNs is the most i've found, and now i'm even more excited to start my career and life in the Navy
Jdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #129
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubbs View Post
Thank you very much for this thread.. I leave for Boot January 6th as a CTN. Doing all the research i possibly can because even my recruiter couldn't tell me much about my Rate. You're tidbit on CTNs is the most i've found, and now i'm even more excited to start my career and life in the Navy
It's an awesome rate. The only draw back is that you don't travel as much as the other CT types, but you're quite literally going to be making a difference in National Security from day one. Its a massive responsibility.

/r
CTT1
Old 11-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #130
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Bump after some CT related posts

If you have specific CT questions, place them here!

/r
CTT1
Old 11-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #131
ejrwelch
**Active Duty**

ejrwelch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySpouse View Post
Good point, I'm overreacting, but was really looking forward to the one. It's hard to just feel like I'm along for the ride and be okay with it, but it's something to work towards. It's hard to be in the blind though, even if I have questions for her, I can't get any answered from her for like two weeks, but I guess that's kind of the point of boot camp to prepare us for it.
So as some one in the Persian-Farsi course right now they do not consider it Arabic... at all. They do group it in the sand language group with MSA arabic and the 3 main dialects, Dari, Urdu, Pashto, and Hebrew. All that it means is Ga. PF is not a bad deal. I enjoy it a lot and we have one of the nicer group of teachers. Anywho. When your sailor arrives here they can request to change while in indoc and if available they can change. We had a span go to korean and an arabic go to spanish and others have changed serveral times. It all comes down to scores. Any more questions that I am able to answer for you I will. Soon to be out of monterey though, thank god!
ejrwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:55 AM   #132
JoeSpook

JoeSpook is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejrwelch View Post
When your sailor arrives here they can request to change while in indoc and if available they can change. We had a span go to korean and an arabic go to spanish and others have changed serveral times. It all comes down to scores.
That... that's wicked cool. My wife and I are weighing out all of our options, and we've agreed that we're totally cool with the needs of the Navy. However, we realize that while I'm good with Asian languages and have lots of Asian friends who teach me things here and there, being stationed in [REDACTED 1] makes seeing both of our families slightly more, uh, freakishly expensive. Outlandishly expensive, really, and I don't think I've ever used the term "outlandish" in a more appropriate sense.

[REDACTED 2] is closest to my family, which would make visits infinitely more possible, but everything I've heard about being stationed in [REDACTED 2] is "well, it is what you make it." I'm not good with Arabic-oriented languages, but I can learn. My wife and I have lived in a very tiny 3-room apartment with no sink (long story) for 2 years, so we're gonna have a good time anywhere, but still...

Not really a huge fan of Spanish, and I'm not big on vodka so Russian also feels pretty "meh" to me. To those ends, being stationed in [REDACTED 3] doesn't accomplish much. It's near some of my wife's family that she doesn't really know, so it gets a point for functionality, but altogether I'm mostly torn between [REDACTED 1] and [REDACTED 2] to raise a family in.

It's quite relieving to know that if we come to a decision, there's a tiny tiny tiny chance that we could request a change.

Any idea what scores typically get a switch approved?

Best,
j

DEP: 20140630
CTI: 20140709
Ship: 20141201

Last edited by JoeSpook; 11-05-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: formatting herp derps, REDACTing.
JoeSpook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:48 AM   #133
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Joe,

I would hit up Jzhaun, as he is our resident CTI. I work with CTI types, but I don't know enough about your A-school to answer that as well as he could.

====================================

I also recieved the following message in my inbox and am replying here;

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktemplar
Hi man,

I'm having trouble decipher the main differences between these three rates.

Also CTIs start as E1, as in unlike lets say Nuke or AECF dont get an auto rank, right?

-Tommy

The rates you mentioned were CTT, CTI, and IS. So I'll hit them in that order.

CTT: T-branchers are the Navy's Electronic Warfare experts. On ships we are responsible for Anti-Ship Missile Defense (ASMD), as well as Electronic Intelligence (ELINT). We use and maintain our equipment to monitor radar signals from ships, aircraft, shore sites, and missiles, and in some cases deny the use of these systems to our enemy. Shore side you would be working at a NIOC doing the same thing minus the ASMD part. As a whole, CTT's can get stationed on ships, ashore, on subs, and attached as Aircrew.

CTI: I-branchers are the Navy's language experts. They cover all different kinds of languages from Russian and Chinese to Spanish and Arabic. There are entire ranges of lesser spoken languages in there as well. CTI's spend most of their career at a NIOC and alternate CONUS//OCONUS duty stations. Your designated language will dictate where you get stationed (certain languages go certain places obviously).

IS: IS's work with what we call "All-Source" intelligence. Where the CT community are the technical experts, IS's are responsible for the bigger picture to include trends, historical relevance, and geo-political landscape. IS's spend quite a bit of time preparing briefs for senior personnel and going over the myriad of reports from other organizations. They are also responsible for Human Intelligence (HUMINT). IS's are stationed on larger ships typically and on shore sites around the world.

On the topic of auto-rank, that all just depends on how long you're in training for. The whole reason they bump people up like that is because they spend so long in training. If they didn't they would significantly be behind their peers career wise. So it's kind of a way to balance the playing field career wise. Different rates and specialties are in training for different time periods, so it just depends what specific program you land in.

/r
CTT1
Old 11-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #134
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSpook View Post
That... that's wicked cool. My wife and I are weighing out all of our options, and we've agreed that we're totally cool with the needs of the Navy. However, we realize that while I'm good with Asian languages and have lots of Asian friends who teach me things here and there, being stationed in HI makes seeing both of our families slightly more, uh, freakishly expensive. Outlandishly expensive, really, and I don't think I've ever used the term "outlandish" in a more appropriate sense.

GA is closest to my family, which would make visits infinitely more possible, but everything I've heard about being stationed in GA is "well, it is what you make it." I'm not good with Arabic-oriented languages, but I can learn. My wife and I have lived in a very tiny 3-room apartment with no sink (long story) for 2 years, so we're gonna have a good time anywhere, but still...

Not really a huge fan of Spanish, and I'm not big on vodka so Russian also feels pretty "meh" to me. To those ends, being stationed in TX doesn't accomplish much. It's near some of her family that she doesn't really know, so it gets a point for functionality, but altogether I'm torn between HI and GA to raise a family in.

It's quite relieving to know that if we come to a decision, there's a tiny tiny tiny chance that we could request a change.

Any idea what scores typically get a switch approved?
It's not going to be about your scores. I mean, if you have a 100 and want Arabic that's probably not happening, but as long as you're within the range they don'tt care. What it's about is luck. Basically it's the same as a Dar - somebody didn't show up and now there's a slot. It's only going to work for languages that they're currently filling classes for, which are usually but not always the same languages they offer you at boot camp.

As far as languages go - Russian guys go to Maryland first tour. Sand languages tend to be more of a gamble (less people pass) but also make more money. I would always recommend to go with the language you like best though, because in my experience, most people who aren't interested in their language for its own sake don't pass.

Ps-person asking about ranking up as a cti: we get e2 at the end of boot camp and e4 at the end of a school.

Last edited by jzhaun; 11-03-2014 at 10:57 PM.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #135
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

While it may be obvious in most cases, lets stay away from mentioning what specific assets are being deployed where.

/r
CTT1
Old 11-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #136
HSBSailor

HSBSailor is on a distinguished road
Default CTI enlistment bonus

What is the current 11/3/2014 status of the CTI enlistment bonus? Not the school loan program but the EB per the 1/24/2014 message promulgating the CTI-ATF bonus paid upon DLI A/F school completion? Thanks!
HSBSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #137
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSBSailor View Post
What is the current 11/3/2014 status of the CTI enlistment bonus? Not the school loan program but the EB per the 1/24/2014 message promulgating the CTI-ATF bonus paid upon DLI A/F school completion? Thanks!
As far as I know CTI bonuses are based on whatever language you are assigned and they fluctuate frequently.

Jzhaun is our local CTI and could shed a bit more light on it for you.

/r
CTT1
Old 11-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #138
blacktemplar

blacktemplar is on a distinguished road

Edit: answered question, I should actually finish reading a thread before asking a question, an novel idea.
blacktemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #139
TBBURKE

TBBURKE is on a distinguished road

I was offered 10k or LRP upon signing my CTI contract in April.
TBBURKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #140
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktemplar View Post
Edit: answered question, I should actually finish reading a thread before asking a question, an novel idea.
Haha no worries. I've done that here as well.

/r
CTT1
Old 11-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #141
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Bumping up. Seen a few CT related questions pop up recently.

/r
CTT1
Old 11-13-2014, 01:35 AM   #142
Maverick07

Maverick07 will become famous soon enough

Will holding certifications in computer networks and security from companies like Cisco and CompTIA help in advancement or command placement? I've been studying Network+ and Security+ for the past 2 months, but will not pay the $264 for a certification test if it holds no bearing in the Navy. I explored the Navy Cool website, which list all the civilian credentials/certifications related to the CTN rating. The Navy also gives out exam vouchers to pay for these certifications.
Maverick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #143
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick07 View Post
Will holding certifications in computer networks and security from companies like Cisco and CompTIA help in advancement or command placement? I've been studying Network+ and Security+ for the past 2 months, but will not pay the $264 for a certification test if it holds no bearing in the Navy. I explored the Navy Cool website, which list all the civilian credentials/certifications related to the CTN rating. The Navy also gives out exam vouchers to pay for these certifications.
As far as command placement, it won't have any bearing.

As far as advancement though, it will give you a huge leg up on your competition. It won't grant you additional points or anything, but you'll be ahead of the curve knowledge wise for sure.

/r
CTT1
Old 12-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #144
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Seen a few CT questions lately. Bumping this thread if there are any more!

/r
CTT1
Old 12-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #145
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

I received this question via PM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubbs
Hi, CTT1

While I was reading through your post, I found a link you put up for the CTN's working with SpecOps and such. But when I clicked on it, there was nothing but coding on the page. Do you know of any other places I could find that information? I would love to know more about it.
CT's going into the Spec Ops world do so under a program called TIO (Tactical Information Operations). You're not going to find much information out there about TIO due to the obvious classified nature of the job.

In a nut-shell though, SEALs are the ones trained to go in and get the bad guys, while there will almost always be at least 1 CT with them to handle all the secret squirrel intelligence stuff. The operator side of TIO goes out on the missions with them, while back at base there's also CT analysts waiting to pour over the intel that comes back. So there is a CT involved with both phases of the mission.

TIO is typically something you would start looking at after you've been in the fleet for a few years. It's very rare they would pick someone up right out of A-school. You need to be in Spec Ops shape and have some experience doing your job. A seasoned 2nd Class Petty Officer in prime shape would be an ideal candidate, although a motivated candidate could possibly get picked up sooner. You can either talk to your detailer about applying, or depending where you're stationed, a TIO recruiter might come by looking for interested candidates. Either way, you're going to need to be the one who's tracking people down for information and to apply.

Below is a link with a brief description of TIO
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...s/1306-984.pdf

/r
CTT1
Old 12-10-2014, 02:17 PM   #146
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Bumping, as we're having CT related questions again

/r
CTT1
Old 12-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #147
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold

Do you have any info you could share about 451 for CTRs?
Old 12-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #148
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGuard07 View Post
Do you have any info you could share about 451 for CTRs?
Could you elaborate a little more on this for me? I'm pretty sure you're asking about NEC 9147, but just wanted to make sure.

/r
CTT1
Old 12-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #149
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold

Yeah I'm new at this and im trying to know what I canand can not say publicly. ( I rather be told what I can say, then what I can't say after it's been said) But my class right now is 450, and they say if you do good enough you get a chance to be picked up for 451. I'm not sure if it's the same as the NEC or not.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #150
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGuard07 View Post
Yeah I'm new at this and im trying to know what I canand can not say publicly. ( I rather be told what I can say, then what I can't say after it's been said) But my class right now is 450, and they say if you do good enough you get a chance to be picked up for 451. I'm not sure if it's the same as the NEC or not.
That's probably the code for the class itself. If you can find out the actual NEC then I could fill you in on what I know.

/r
CTT1

Tags
cryptologic, ctm, ctn, ctr, ctt