NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 06-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
jonc2006

jonc2006 is on a distinguished road
Default Getting nervous around RDCs

Is it normal for people to get nervous around these guys when they get up in your face? I'm worried that when the time comes around for them to ask me something I am going to freeze up and get the answer wrong even though I know it.
jonc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
Agrias
**Active Duty**

Agrias is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc2006 View Post
Is it normal for people to get nervous around these guys when they get up in your face? I'm worried that when the time comes around for them to ask me something I am going to freeze up and get the answer wrong even though I know it.
Most people would get nervous if someone was screaming in your face. Just don't draw attention to yourself and don't do anything wrong/stupid and you'll be fine. I got through the whole thing without them ever getting in my face.
Agrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You might, and you definitely won't be the only one. It happens. Take a second, take a breath, sort out your words, and say whatever you need to say properly. The reason why they like to make recruits nervous is to see if they can keep military bearing under pressure.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
YcleptNano

YcleptNano is on a distinguished road

It's normal for like the first two weeks. It's all a mind game. As long as you do as they say and don't overthink it, you'll be fine.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

I never recall an RDC or FQA yelling at a Recruit to answer a question faster... deep breath, thousand-yard stare, and answer slowly and methodically.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Just remember that the worst thing they can do to you is it you for a bit, and that makes you stronger. Like they said, relax and take your time. Their job is to get in your head and get you flustered, if you show them that you are they will have you marked.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:15 AM   #7
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Definitely normal, but once you get over that, you'll find most of them are great people who really do care about you succeeding.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:50 AM   #8
jonc2006

jonc2006 is on a distinguished road

I just absolutely hate the spotlight, that's my main problem. I mean, it's like I know most of the material I'm going to be quizzed on but when it comes down to me having to recite that stuff in front of everybody else and the RDCs, I'm worried the fear of screwing up is going to cause me to screw up.
jonc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:31 AM   #9
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you do screw up a good few times while you're there, so you can learn that it's not that scary. Getting over fear of failure will help you in all kinds of ways besides this. And at RTC, like FutureND said, the worst that'll happen to you is a bit of exercise. So go out there and take chances, make mistakes, and get messy!

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #10
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I just absolutely hate the spotlight, that's my main problem. I mean, it's like I know most of the material I'm going to be quizzed on but when it comes down to me having to recite that stuff in front of everybody else and the RDCs, I'm worried the fear of screwing up is going to cause me to screw up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
I hope you do screw up a good few times while you're there, so you can learn that it's not that scary. Getting over fear of failure will help you in all kinds of ways besides this. And at RTC, like FutureND said, the worst that'll happen to you is a bit of exercise. So go out there and take chances, make mistakes, and get messy!
That's exactly why you need to fail in RDC. It's safe. No one is going to get hurt or killed. You're going to do a couple push ups and learn to push through your mistakes without freezing, so if you do ever find yourself in a high stress situation in the middle of the ocean you can remain cool and do your job without freezing up.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote