NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTN = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN NETWORKS

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-15-2017, 12:32 AM   #1
usmc39

usmc39 is on a distinguished road
Default USMC to Navy CTN

Hey guys,

I am new here but I registered in hopes of getting some answers from Navy personnel besides those that work with me. I've talked to recruiters as well but they only deal with members who got out and want to reenlist.

So I am a Marine who's going to be in for about 7 1/2 years by end of contract and I wanted to transition to the Navy as a CTN. I am a comm guy right now and have some certifications and experience in networks.

I've read MCO's (Marine Corps Order's) in regards to getting out to transition but if I am not accepted to a commissioning program, I am not able to transition between services with time on contract left. If I were to get out, what are my chances of being able to enlist in the Navy and pursue CTN as a career?
usmc39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome, Devildog!

I can't write my entire response right this second, but I can get to it tonight and help you out.

V/r
CTT1
Old 02-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
usmc39

Thank you! I appreciate letting me know that you can help.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc39 View Post
Hey guys,

I am new here but I registered in hopes of getting some answers from Navy personnel besides those that work with me. I've talked to recruiters as well but they only deal with members who got out and want to reenlist.

So I am a Marine who's going to be in for about 7 1/2 years by end of contract and I wanted to transition to the Navy as a CTN. I am a comm guy right now and have some certifications and experience in networks.

I've read MCO's (Marine Corps Order's) in regards to getting out to transition but if I am not accepted to a commissioning program, I am not able to transition between services with time on contract left. If I were to get out, what are my chances of being able to enlist in the Navy and pursue CTN as a career?
Alright brother, thanks for the patience.

I actually was active, had to go reserves during the draw down, and now am back active. I was also the LPO (NCOIC basically) of a cyber shop and did the cyber mission for several years. So I got you on both fronts!

Coming back active duty as a prior service is like pulling teeth. I had to do it once upon a time and it just happened to work for me since I knew the right people. Crossing into a new service though, at least on the Navy side, means you wouldn't go through the regular recruiters (as far as I know), you'd go through the prior service guy. There's usually one per area/MEPS/district whatever. Coming back though is a pretty pain staking processes and it may limit your options as to what rates you'll be allowed to come into. So you can always try that route, but understand that it comes with a grain of salt and could be a very long road (if it works at all).

Your 2nd option is to go Navy Reserves. The Reserves will take guys all freakin day since they need the bodies. CTN also is decently open on the reserve side the last I saw it. So you'd probably have a much better shot going that route. You'd still go through JCAC and would almost certainly be doing some kind of mission work on drill weekends. So you'd get the training still as well as having opportunities to use it (just not every day of the week).

A third option I might consider if I were you would be the Army. Just this month they opened up a ton of positions to civilians to cross over into the cyber field since they're hurting that bad on bodies. I'm not terribly familiar with their processes, but I would strongly encourage you to go talk to one of their recruiter folks and see if they can offer you something. Also, punk them a little bit; just for shits and gigs and because you're a Marine haha

/r
CTT1
Old 02-16-2017, 12:55 AM   #5
usmc39

So for the first option, that is what scares me the most because of the necessity of income will force me to find a civilian job and lose some time or produce more administrative issues to come back into service.

The second option sounds good but I would like to stay Active Duty or at least transition to the Active Duty but then I don't know the chances of that happening as well.

The best option right now is the Army even though it won't be like the Navy job but it will keep me in the service and the communication field. Hopefully I can pursue cyber security later on but thanks for the help. I actually talked to Army personnel about a transition and it can happen without lose in service time. Thanks again!
Old 02-17-2017, 06:40 PM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc39 View Post
So for the first option, that is what scares me the most because of the necessity of income will force me to find a civilian job and lose some time or produce more administrative issues to come back into service.

The second option sounds good but I would like to stay Active Duty or at least transition to the Active Duty but then I don't know the chances of that happening as well.

The best option right now is the Army even though it won't be like the Navy job but it will keep me in the service and the communication field. Hopefully I can pursue cyber security later on but thanks for the help. I actually talked to Army personnel about a transition and it can happen without lose in service time. Thanks again!
You'd be looking at 17C I believe for the Army. That's probably what's gonna get you onto the OCO/DCO track the fastest.

Tags
ctn, usmc