NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #1
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverdee90 View Post
Ok Haasino quick question, is there a limit to how long they are on hold for PT? Or how many chances they get? My son has passed everything except the stinking push-ups needs to start Candidate school... Any tips for passing them? This momma is feeling sad, he is working his butt off and wants this so bad, would hate to see him have to rerate
It kind of varies based on how many candidates are there and how badly they need people... generally it's a week or two, and then you'd have a Progress Review Board where they decide whether to give you another week, or drop you. Factors like motivation and progress (Like if he can do ten more now than he could a week ago) play a big part in their decision.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Hass, this might be outside your area of expertise but I figured I'd try since you said you have a few friends that do the mine hunting thing (AWR?).

I was talking to a mineman a few weeks ago and I asked him where females typically get sent because they aren't allowed on Mine Countermeasure ships. He said that it's pretty common for them to end up with squadrons working with the mine hunting helos. I was wondering if you knew what that duty would entail? If it was riding along on the helo during flight or simply helping disarm/destroy the mines that were picked up when they landed?
BloodyPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #3
J.Morales

J.Morales is on a distinguished road

CTF-84 @ Virginia Beach
J.Morales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:26 AM   #4
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyPheonix View Post
Hey Hass, this might be outside your area of expertise but I figured I'd try since you said you have a few friends that do the mine hunting thing (AWR?).

I was talking to a mineman a few weeks ago and I asked him where females typically get sent because they aren't allowed on Mine Countermeasure ships. He said that it's pretty common for them to end up with squadrons working with the mine hunting helos. I was wondering if you knew what that duty would entail? If it was riding along on the helo during flight or simply helping disarm/destroy the mines that were picked up when they landed?
I'm not sure exactly what their duties would be, but the only ones flying in HM squadrons will be the pilots and AWS'... she'll most likely be servicing the mine countermeasure equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Morales View Post
CTF-84 @ Virginia Beach
Hmm... I've got a few guesses, but nothing I want to discuss on open forum. Most likely your role is going to be "analyst"...

Old 11-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

NavyGirl2015 is on a distinguished road

Just got my orders for my FRS! I got p-3s so I'm going to Jacksonville.
NavyGirl2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGirl2015 View Post
Just got my orders for my FRS! I got p-3s so I'm going to Jacksonville.
Right on! We'll probably cross paths at some point in Whidbey.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

That makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking. Thanks.
BloodyPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #8
Diverdee90

Diverdee90 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
It kind of varies based on how many candidates are there and how badly they need people... generally it's a week or two, and then you'd have a Progress Review Board where they decide whether to give you another week, or drop you. Factors like motivation and progress (Like if he can do ten more now than he could a week ago) play a big part in their decision.

Forgot to update you, my son passed the push ups the week after Thanksgiving so now waiting for Holiday shut down then should start Candidate school.... Yay cant wait
Diverdee90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:09 PM   #9
Diverdee90

Default AWV

So my son graduated from Candidate school last week and he thinks he is getting AWV, can you explain a little more of this rate to me. He was hoping for AWS I think. AWV was his second choice. Thanks
Old 01-26-2016, 09:40 PM   #10
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverdee90 View Post
So my son graduated from Candidate school last week and he thinks he is getting AWV, can you explain a little more of this rate to me. He was hoping for AWS I think. AWV was his second choice. Thanks
Per Naval Personnel Command:

Aircrewman Avionics (AWV): In-Flight technician/trouble shooter on board P-3C, EP-3 and E-6B aircraft. Maintains and trouble shoots all avionics equipment while in flight. Operates communication systems and electronic warfare equipment onboard E-6B and EP-3 aircraft. Operates UAS and UAS payloads. Operates and maintains tactical support center systems at shore installations and tactical mobile systems in expeditionary MTOC units.

That being said, it really comes down to where he ends up getting stationed. AWV's working on E-6B's, for example, will do a totally different job than the guys I fly with. But that little blurb covers the basics of what's possible for them and what platforms you're gonna find them on.

I'm sure AWO2 will also have some input.

/r
CTT1
Old 01-27-2016, 07:38 AM   #11
Haasino
**Active Duty**

The NPC blurb CTT1 posted pretty much sums it up... though the UAS (drone) and TSC/MTOC part is incorrect; those are both AWO shore duty billets now. The E-6B is the only platform intended to be around past 2020, and there's currently a push to get AWF's and AWV's into the TACAMO squadrons out in Oklahoma, so his best chance it to get orders there. Otherwise, he might get orders to VQ-1 as an IFT or Electronic Warfare Operator... or he may be in one of the last classes of P-3 IFT to come out of Fleet Replacement training. Hopefully he doesn't get the latter, because that would mean he'll be lucky to make 2 years in his squadron before going back to learn a new job.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:46 PM   #12
Diverdee90

Getting used to this Navy thing where things are always changing... My son did not get AWV he is AWF, started INDOC yesterday and then just waiting to class up... I'm assuming from Hassino's reply he will probably end up in Oklahoma? Just curious.... He is excited for AWF, it was his first choice he said, sorry for my post before that he would be AWV....
Old 02-24-2016, 06:46 AM   #13
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Most likely a TACAMO flight engineer in Oklahoma, or a Greyhound loadmaster out of Norfolk or San Diego... possibly a P-3/EP-3 flight engineer, but hopefully not as the sunset of the P-3 Orion is visible on the horizon at this point.