NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #1
FCbeans

FCbeans will become famous soon enough
Talking Dental in Bootcamp

Hello all,
I ship out in 13 days, and today I went to the dentist for a cleaning. Turns out I have two cavities and a spot, all on my rear molars. One cavity could possibly need to have a root canal if not taken care of within 8-10 weeks. Should I have the work done ASAP or wait until bootcamp? I've heard that severe dental work could have you sent home. I also have my wisdom teeth so I'll probably get those pulled (so I've heard). Money isn't an issue I have great dental insurance it would only cost a co pay for the appointment. Thanks for your input!!
FCbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
HM DEEZLE

Location: NC babbbbbyyyyy ... where we're good for nothing except SWEET TEA, BBQ, and BASKETBALL
HM DEEZLE is a splendid one to beholdHM DEEZLE is a splendid one to beholdHM DEEZLE is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSailorEJD View Post
Hello all,
I ship out in 13 days, and today I went to the dentist for a cleaning. Turns out I have two cavities and a spot, all on my rear molars. One cavity could possibly need to have a root canal if not taken care of within 8-10 weeks. Should I have the work done ASAP or wait until bootcamp? I've heard that severe dental work could have you sent home. I also have my wisdom teeth so I'll probably get those pulled (so I've heard). Money isn't an issue I have great dental insurance it would only cost a co pay for the appointment. Thanks for your input!!
Wait until you go to bootcamp. You will get all of that taken care of with no problems. And yes you will get your wisdom teeth pulled. Hooyah SIQ (not really. SIQ sucks)

Depped: 20140729

Ship: 20150317

Last edited by HM DEEZLE; 05-20-2015 at 02:47 AM.
HM DEEZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:37 PM   #3
FCbeans

FCbeans will become famous soon enough

Awesome thanks for the info. I'll be able to deal with getting it done in one sitting which is what it'll be I'm sure. Just didn't want to screw myself over with a procedure I could have done now, but it'll save me a hundred bucks in co pays! Thanks again
FCbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:35 PM   #4
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Yea definitely wait until basic. If it's bad enough, they'll do it there. If not, you'll do it in A school or at your first command. SIQ is beautiful when at basic. Those were the two best days while there lol

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:56 AM   #5
HM DEEZLE

Location: NC babbbbbyyyyy ... where we're good for nothing except SWEET TEA, BBQ, and BASKETBALL
HM DEEZLE is a splendid one to beholdHM DEEZLE is a splendid one to beholdHM DEEZLE is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzerAsp View Post
Yea definitely wait until basic. If it's bad enough, they'll do it there. If not, you'll do it in A school or at your first command. SIQ is beautiful when at basic. Those were the two best days while there lol
Lol the first SIQ day was great after that I just laid there wondering what my brothers and sisters were doing all day... That sucked. At I missed a epic ITE session though.

Depped: 20140729

Ship: 20150317
HM DEEZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

You leave in such a short time it is not worth doing it now. As for ANY type of medical/dental procedure, you would then need a waiver...and you don't have time for that now. Cleanings don't count...but a major thing like a possible root canal would be...let the navy do the work

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #7
rouhanashi

rouhanashi is on a distinguished road

I missed all of my inspections except for the first half of the first one because of dental. I got 5 teeth pulled, who knows how many fillings, at least 2 caps, and a root canal I had to wait a very painful week on. You'll be fine lol
Graduation Date: 20150904
rouhanashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
Navywife160

Navywife160 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM DEEZLE View Post
Wait until you go to bootcamp. You will get all of that taken care of with no problems. And yes you will get your wisdom teeth pulled. Hooyah SIQ (not really. SIQ sucks)
Do they put them completely under anesthesia. My husbands never had anesthesia or has ever been on pain meds. Just worried about him having a reaction.
Navywife160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #9
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

NavyGirl2015 is on a distinguished road

From my knowledge, the just get numbing shots.
NavyGirl2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:36 PM   #10
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGirl2015 View Post
From my knowledge, the just get numbing shots.
Yep, just numbing. It's not that bad...

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:11 PM   #11
Navywife160

Thanks
Old 11-15-2015, 09:29 PM   #12
YN2(AW)Williams
**ActiveDuty**

YN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the best fun in boot was watching your shipmates coming back from medical/dental high as a kite from the meds and trying not to screw up around the RDCs. We had one guy that was pretty much a constant verbal stream of what was going through his head, which pretty much amounted to "Oh F, F F F F F F F I made eye contact with chief...is he going to drop me now? My face feels funny. That female needs to wash her hair. Am I drooling?" etc etc
YN2(AW)Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:39 PM   #13
Navywife160

[QUOTE=PringleMan;56696]Some of the best fun in boot was watching your shipmates coming back from medical/dental high as a kite from the meds and trying not to screw up around the RDCs. We had one guy that was pretty much a constant verbal stream of what was going through his head, which pretty much amounted to "Oh F, F F F F F F F I made eye contact with chief...is he going to drop me now? My face feels funny. That female needs to wash her hair. Am I drooling?" etc
Old 11-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #14
DPearson
**Active Duty**

DPearson is on a distinguished road

Alot of my division, me included, didnt need to have our wisdom teeth pulled. Lucky us. One guy did get something like 7 root canals though...
DPearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:44 AM   #15
Raca1234
**Active Duty**

Raca1234 is on a distinguished road

I was the only one in my div that didn't get their wisdom teeth taken out, but they told me they would have to spend more time than a typical removal so they had me wait. Still haven't gotten them out...
Raca1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #16
biruis

biruis is on a distinguished road

Boot camp dental rocks! Super quick and painless. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:28 AM   #17
RSmith

RSmith is on a distinguished road

My son left for boot camp Dec 2, 2015. He has all four of his wisdom teeth, but they don't bother him. Do you think they'll pull them ? And at what point do they pull them, beginning or end of boot camp ? Thanks :-)
RSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #18
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSmith View Post
My son left for boot camp Dec 2, 2015. He has all four of his wisdom teeth, but they don't bother him. Do you think they'll pull them ? And at what point do they pull them, beginning or end of boot camp ? Thanks :-)
If they felt the need to pull his wisdom teeth, they would have done it early so as not to interfere with training. So since he has been there now for a week or so, if the navy felt the need, he is probably already having them out or will shortly.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:24 PM   #19
blueice6102

blueice6102 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouhanashi View Post
I missed all of my inspections except for the first half of the first one because of dental. I got 5 teeth pulled, who knows how many fillings, at least 2 caps, and a root canal I had to wait a very painful week on. You'll be fine lol
So when you get teeth pulled, do you get dentures/veeners/implants? Or do you just walk around without teeth?
blueice6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #20
blueice6102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Yep, just numbing. It's not that bad...
No laughing gas or anesthesia? I figure I will need something like 8 root canals & 6 teeth pulled. I'm not a huge fan of dentist pain.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:22 AM   #21
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueice6102 View Post
No laughing gas or anesthesia? I figure I will need something like 8 root canals & 6 teeth pulled. I'm not a huge fan of dentist pain.
It depends on each persons specific dental needs. But they generally just do the shots.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #22
blueice6102

Quote:
It depends on each persons specific dental needs. But they generally just do the shots.
So theres a small chance I may get more than the shots, but dont count on it. I will try & get as much dental work done now. Thank you.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:38 AM   #23
LT Guppy

Keep in mind, if any of your dental work includes anesthesia it becomes a surgery and you have to report it to meps

Old 12-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #24
blueice6102

Quote:
Keep in mind, if any of your dental work includes anesthesia it becomes a surgery and you have to report it to meps
thank you.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:50 AM   #25
gopacgo12

gopacgo12 is on a distinguished road

Can you get kicked out of boot camp if you need a lot of dental work?
gopacgo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:01 AM   #26
LT Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopacgo12 View Post
Can you get kicked out of boot camp if you need a lot of dental work?
This question has been answered many times.

It is very unlikely that, if you passed meps, you will be separated for dental.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:46 PM   #27
JayMaple

JayMaple is on a distinguished road

they will fix it and pull wisdom teeth. also it does not hurt for the most part. teeth is not a big problem.
JayMaple is offline   Reply With Quote