NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Professional Apprenticeship Career Track Program (PACT) > PACT Seaman (SN)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
zackthespartan

zackthespartan is on a distinguished road
Default need some insight about Seaman PACT

I've been in the navy a little over 9 months. I was originally in the nuke program but was released from it about 6 months into the program because I couldn't meet the rigorous academic standards. I was then rerated as an Air Traffic Controller but during my flight physical, my pre-existing eye condition (strabismus) was determined to make me unsuited for this rating. Because this is my second "school drop", I've now been reassigned to the Seaman PACT program per Navy regulations.

What is the program like?
I got a 93 on my ASVAB and my conduct record is fairly clean (not a troublemaker, etc). How much will that effect when and what rate I can strike for? Will it also affect what my typical duties aboard my ship will be as I attempt to learn a rating "hands on"?
zackthespartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

A few questions that may help me understand,,,are you still an E3? What rating were you in nuke school, MM, EM, ET? Did you finish the A school at Goose Creek? If so are you already a petty officer 3rd class? Have you attended any A school for Air Traffic Controller? Knowing these may help me find the answers you seek.
As far as Undesignated...generally you need to be there 2 years before you can strike for a new rate, but recommendations from the Chief can move things along faster. What you will be doing..the needs of the navy, even if that means chipping paint.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
basil

basil is on a distinguished road
Default undes seaman

You don't have to be in 2 years. It goes like this...

You have to be at your command for a year before you can strike a rate, and the list of available rates aren't what you qualify for its what is available to you at that moment, therefor if you don't see a rate you want to strike into you can wait awhile and see if it pops up.
The other way is if you are an E3, and note that petty officers can't be undes, its only e1-e3, if you were ever a petty officer and become undes then you have been stricken rank too...anyway, the other way is take the 3rd class exam, this applies to rates that don't require an A school.

You can cross rate into undes airman or fireman if no seaman rates strike your interest.

You can wait as long as you want before you choose a rate you want, but keep in mind you're losing time you could be making rank.

You can request an A school but again thats after a year with your current command. They don't care if it's 11 months, it has to be a full year.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote