NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Professional Apprenticeship Career Track Program (PACT) > PACT Airman (AN)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
Navy1013
**Active Duty**

Navy1013 will become famous soon enough
Default A-PACT

Is there anyone in the fleet can help explain the process of the A-PACT (AN). Someone on here has had to start as AN. I'm kinda lost, I don't have a clue about what is happening or what's going to happen. I can't find hardly anything on here or online. I don't know what to tell my wife, other than I'm shipping out Jan. 6th 2015.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
MickeyMcD

MickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to behold

You'll be doing all of the nitty, gritty work in squadrons (ex: chip paint, paint over chipped spot, etc). If you're going in as an E-1, it'll be two years before you're even eligible to get a rating. An E-3 could potentially get one in six months (how often this occurs, I can't say) On the flip side, however, you do get to see what all the different aviation ratings actually do so that you know what you might want to try and strike for. There are several other threads on this forum that cover the PACT programs in a bit more detail.
Graduated RTC: 20150529 194/13
Old 08-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
Navy1013
**Active Duty**

I had no desire to go into the Aviation field, but without walking out and possibly not joining (time restraints) I had to chose this. I did research on everything but PACT programs and Aviation. I didn't research Aviation because I was told a lot of the rates are overmanned or where it needs to be so the chance of getting Aviation was slim.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

As an A-PACT you will be limited to striking for Aviation rates. You can try to put in a DAR for a different job before you ship, but that is not guaranteed.

Also, read these two posts:
http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5936
http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4781

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
Old 08-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
Navy1013
**Active Duty**

I'm putting a DAR in for GM, HM, MA. I know they are not guaranteed, but its worth a shot.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
Navy1013
**Active Duty**

If the DAR does not get approved the I will make the best of the situation.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:50 AM   #7
Navy1013
**Active Duty**

If you are A-PACT can you fill out a "Dream Sheet" of the place you want to go like Jacksonville, Norfolk, etc.... or do you just go where ever the Navy sends you and you have no say so??????
Old 08-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #8
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Everyone fills out a dream sheet, but the reality is for your first assignment it doesn't mean much. For your later assignments, you have a little more influence over where you go.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #9
Temen
**Active Duty**

Temen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMcD View Post
You'll be doing all of the nitty, gritty work in squadrons (ex: chip paint, paint over chipped spot, etc). If you're going in as an E-1, it'll be two years before you're even eligible to get a rating. An E-3 could potentially get one in six months (how often this occurs, I can't say) On the flip side, however, you do get to see what all the different aviation ratings actually do so that you know what you might want to try and strike for. There are several other threads on this forum that cover the PACT programs in a bit more detail.
As an Undesignated Airman, you will be going to the Line Shack right away. Guess what though? 90% of E-3 and below go to the Line Shack right away.
In the Aviation community (at least in every F-18 squadron I have worked with) they send their Airman to the Line Shack to learn the aircraft before they are expected to start fixing it. This will hopefully teach you basic skills like running support equipment (mobile generators, hydraulic pumps, jacks, tractors), tow aircraft and equipment, all required hand signals (we do work in very noisy places), confidence and responsibility (you will be in charge of ensuring a pilot's safe and successful launch and recovery, also every day you must inspect the whole jet for any issues that need reported).
So for dirty work, yes there will be plenty; but almost airman does it. At least you won't be painting jets or boats! The only real concern is how long you will be "stuck" in the line shack until you are able to get a rating. This will mostly depend on how long it will take until you are eligible to take the advancement exam and which ratings are open at the time.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #10
Navy1013
**Active Duty**

Will I be able to stirke for AO? How would I be able to "see" what they do if I'm in the Line Shack working with F-18's
Old 08-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #11
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy1013 View Post
Will I be able to stirke for AO? How would I be able to "see" what they do if I'm in the Line Shack working with F-18's
You're not going to spend every waking second there. Part of taking PACT into your own hands (and a lot of other things, frankly) is going to be about spending your off time chasing what you need. And even if you don't actively follow them around, you'll see other ratings' daily lives just by being nearby.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #12
Navy1013
**Active Duty**

That will be my biggest problem, being married with 2 kids and trying to get through the PACT program. Trying to balance spending time off to see other rates and seeing my family will be rough.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #13
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Having a guaranteed rating would keep you away from home just as much as PACT will. Like I said, *everyone* needs to put in some off time to get stuff done sometimes. Not to mention underways and deployments.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #14
Temen
**Active Duty**

Quote:
You will see plenty of AOs while in the Line Shack. They are usually loading and unloading as PCs (Line Shack qualification) prepare the aircrafts.
Also, there may be some downtime or not enough work to go around at times, so you can ask your LPO/Supervisor if you can go work with other shops.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:18 AM   #15
Navy1013
**Active Duty**

So I would possibly be working with AO's in the line shack?
Old 08-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #16
Navy_blu3

Navy_blu3 is on a distinguished road

Im in a similar situation.I was going for MA but had to settle for this pact program.Now its a mystery if im ever going to get that rate. Im going in as an E-3 but up till this point it looks like im trapped in Aviation
Old 08-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #17
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_blu3 View Post
Im in a similar situation.I was going for MA but had to settle for this pact program.Now its a mystery if im ever going to get that rate. Im going in as an E-3 but up till this point it looks like im trapped in Aviation
As an MA you were more than likely going to doing gate guard duty anyway. There could be some opportunity to move into security forces from the aviation side though. For instance, I'm a CT but I also did VBSS on the ship. It was a collateral duty but I still had no issues getting to strap up and kick some ass.

/r
CTT1
Old 08-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #18
Temen
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_blu3 View Post
Request to go TAD to security/ASF if your command will let you. This will allow you to work with the MAs and see if that's a rating you'd enjoy. Then hope for the best and cross-rate.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #19
Navy1013
**Active Duty**

What is TAD
Old 08-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #20
LT Guppy

Temporary additional duty

Old 08-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #21
Navy1013
**Active Duty**

I will have to check into that when I get to my command
Old 08-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #22
Navy_blu3

Navy_blu3 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #23
Navy1013
**Active Duty**

Im back from boot. Any questions??
Old 03-13-2015, 03:07 PM   #24
LT Guppy

Quote:
Im back from boot. Any questions??
Please start a new thread rather than bumping an old one.

Closed Thread