NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation
Default What is the 900's division in boot camp?

At Navy boot camp, a special recruit division is responsible for performing musical pieces and drill routines at each boot camp graduation. Selection for this unit, the 900 Division, usually takes place within a week of the recruit's arrival at the Great Lakes Naval Station for basic training. While recruits must have some musical or drill experience, the final decision is made by the Recruit Division Commanders. Once assigned to the division, recruits go through the same training as other divisions in addition to performance duties.

Read more: The Requirements for the Navy RTC 900 Division http://www.ehow.com/list_7326104_req...#ixzz1cZd29W32

Musical Experience
  • Recruits with musical experience, particularly experience in marching bands, are often selected for the 900 Division. Instruments used in the band include the trumpet, trombone, tuba, drums and cymbals. Recruits must audition before they can move over to the 900 Division. There are practices every day and generally one performance per week, either at a graduation or some other event off base.

Drill and Ceremony Experience
  • Recruits who were in JROTC and ROTC are more likely to be selected for the 900 Division. These former cadets have experience marching in close formation. They also know how to handle rifles and all the appropriate movements for drill routines. These routines require time to learn, so recruits with previous training are preferred. Like the 900 division band, the drill team performs at graduation ceremonies and off-base events.

Academic Requirements
  • Members of the 900 Division must keep up with all the training requirements that are expected of recruits in other divisions. These include a series of academic tests that are taken throughout boot camps. The tests cover the Navy's core values, sexual harassment policies and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. There are practical tests that must be passed including knot tying, Morse code and radio communication procedures. Finally, the recruits must successfully negotiate the Battle Stations simulation, which lasts for 12 hours on a life-size mock destroyer. Recruits must pass through a series of scenarios, including sealing pipe breaches and evacuating casualties.

Physical Requirements
  • Recruits in the 900 Division have less time for physical training, but must maintain the same peak physical condition as other divisions. Daily exercises include runs and calisthenics, such as jumping jacks and lunges, and sometimes obstacle courses. Throughout boot camp, Division 900 recruits must also take the Physical Fitness Assessment, which consists of push-ups, crunches and a 1.5 mile run. Recruits who have trouble meeting academic or physical requirements may be moved to another division.

Read more: The Requirements for the Navy RTC 900 Division http://www.ehow.com/list_7326104_req...#ixzz1cZdI854k

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

If you make a 900 division, you are genereally choosen the same time as everyone else that is being assigned their ships and divisions...

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
ashohlee

ashohlee is on a distinguished road

Are there any other "special" divisions?? Or is it just random on which division you get put into?
ashohlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
sweetmtn

From what i understand, there is an 800 division...but that is for SEALS and SWCC

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #5
Craig
Administrator

I guess you could say Ship 5 (Seperations) or Ship 6 (Medical Hold) are a special division, but I wouldn't want to go there....

Old 11-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
ashohlee

oooohh... No, I wouldn't want to go there either! Thanks for the answers, guys.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
ctraggie

ctraggie is on a distinguished road

Are there any benefits to joining a 900 division? I play a mean trombone, but if it's too hard to balance that and normal boot camp I would have to reconsider joining the band.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
ashohlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctraggie View Post
Are there any benefits to joining a 900 division? I play a mean trombone, but if it's too hard to balance that and normal boot camp I would have to reconsider joining the band.
I was considering volunteering as well, but was not sure if it would be worth it. I did percussion (Bass drum, woot woot) in marching band in middle school...
Old 11-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
sweetmtn

You dont get the choice to volunteer for a 900 division, you are picked out by standards they look for that come on your paperwork and how you present yourself when you arrive...you are looked over VERY close as you come off the bus! The RDC's are watching as you arrive, you wont see them, but they are watching you!

Old 11-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #10
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashohlee View Post
I was considering volunteering as well, but was not sure if it would be worth it. I did percussion (Bass drum, woot woot) in marching band in middle school...
I truly never recommend 900 division for deppers, but it's my own personal view. With 900 division, not only do you have to do the same boot camp requirements as everyone else, you also have to do the 900 division stuff.

For some reason, alot of deppers think that by doing 900 division you don't work harder in boot camp. That is totally wrong. You work alot harder. Out of all the years I've been helping deppers, the only thing I found good about 900 division is that you will preform at the PIR (boot camp graduation) for the divisions that graduate 2 weeks ahead of your own. Sometimes this will enable your parents to see what you look like eariler if someone at those graduations take a picture of you. When my nephew graduated (PIR), I took 90 pictures of the 900 division sailors. Then posted them on NavyForMoms. Those ladies were so happy to see their sailors 2 weeks before their own graduation....

So, there is nothing wrong with 900 division, but for me, it's not my cup-of-tea. I like things easy and smooth....

Old 11-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
sweetmtn

I dont know about that Craig...Justin didnt say it was any harder, yes they had practise everyday, but if you are a very squared away and know your stuff before you get there, it isnt really a problem...

Old 01-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
soeacho

soeacho is on a distinguished road

so my recruiter said that i have a good chance at 900 div because of my high ASVAB score.....
soeacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soeacho View Post
so my recruiter said that i have a good chance at 900 div because of my high ASVAB score.....
I don't think you would, unless you know how to play in the band. I don't think they base it on your ASVAB scores. However, usually high ASVAB score mean being a nerd (I'm not slamming, just saying). The nerds are usually band member.

Do you do any of the stuff listed above at the beginning of this thread?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
QMGSmom

QMGSmom is on a distinguished road
Default 800 division

My son just got to BC on 1-18 and his contract was already EOD,,, that is 800 division correct??? Anything different about that division during BC?
QMGSmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
sweetmtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMGSmom View Post
My son just got to BC on 1-18 and his contract was already EOD,,, that is 800 division correct??? Anything different about that division during BC?
It seems that those with a SEALS, SWCC, EOD and other extreme rates are in this division as they require more training and water training.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
vabchsue

vabchsue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMGSmom View Post
EOD is not the 800 division. EOD is a rating - Explosive Ordnance Disposal. Good luck to your son at GL.
vabchsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #17
Craig
Administrator

I think to clarify what others are saying, EOD is a rating (job). That rating, along with AW's, and SEALS, will be in the same division in boot camp. Which is the 800 division.