NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Mikeym718

Mikeym718 is on a distinguished road
Default Graduated 4/12

Hey for those looking for advice from multiple people here is my point of view. Boot camp is easy especially if you're in decent shape. I went there able to do maybe 40-45 push ups 80-100 sit ups and my run sucked. My first PFA I failed my run with a 14:30 and I needed 13:30. I was NEVER a runner. By my 2nd PFA I ran 12:57 because I learned that running is all mental and by my 3rd PFA I ran 12:36. I can do 90-100 Push ups and about the same in sit ups because the sit ups never challenged me and I didn't care to better them. The push ups didn't challenge me, but I challenged myself and I was able to benefit from it. Like others have said boot camp is easy just keep military barring and attention to detail and you will do fine. The one thing people don't mention which makes me think that it may be unique to me is that the only hard thing about bootcamp is the time at least in my opinion. I seriously felt like I was in jail for 2 months and 2 months felt like a LONG time to me. Being away for that long disconnected from family and the world takes its tow on you. At least it did for me. I wasn't expecting 2 months to be that long, but it was the longest time of my life. I'm still here in Great Lakes as I am an ET through AECF. Good luck to you all and just follow the advice that others have told you. Also don't stand up at the moment of truth. If you lied to get in then you might as well keep going with it and do not go to medical unless you really need medical attention as in life or death. We had a guy medically discharged 3 days before battlestations and he could've passed everything even with a messed up knee. Just listen to our advice and your RDC's and you will do fine.
Mikeym718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
depsailorgroff

depsailorgroff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeym718 View Post
Hey for those looking for advice from multiple people here is my point of view. Boot camp is easy especially if you're in decent shape. I went there able to do maybe 40-45 push ups 80-100 sit ups and my run sucked. My first PFA I failed my run with a 14:30 and I needed 13:30. I was NEVER a runner. By my 2nd PFA I ran 12:57 because I learned that running is all mental and by my 3rd PFA I ran 12:36. I can do 90-100 Push ups and about the same in sit ups because the sit ups never challenged me and I didn't care to better them. The push ups didn't challenge me, but I challenged myself and I was able to benefit from it. Like others have said boot camp is easy just keep military barring and attention to detail and you will do fine. The one thing people don't mention which makes me think that it may be unique to me is that the only hard thing about bootcamp is the time at least in my opinion. I seriously felt like I was in jail for 2 months and 2 months felt like a LONG time to me. Being away for that long disconnected from family and the world takes its tow on you. At least it did for me. I wasn't expecting 2 months to be that long, but it was the longest time of my life. I'm still here in Great Lakes as I am an ET through AECF. Good luck to you all and just follow the advice that others have told you. Also don't stand up at the moment of truth. If you lied to get in then you might as well keep going with it and do not go to medical unless you really need medical attention as in life or death. We had a guy medically discharged 3 days before battlestations and he could've passed everything even with a messed up knee. Just listen to our advice and your RDC's and you will do fine.
Thanks for the advice, I am glad you made it through with no problems. Congratulations to you! Best of luck to you!
depsailorgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
sailorpee

sailorpee is on a distinguished road

Can you maybe give me some advice on what to bring as far as stationary? Do I bring stamps and stationary or do they give them to us?
sailorpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
depsailorgroff

depsailorgroff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorpee View Post
Can you maybe give me some advice on what to bring as far as stationary? Do I bring stamps and stationary or do they give them to us?
I think you may be able to buy them there but just in case id bring some with you.
depsailorgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
Agrias
**Active Duty**

Agrias is on a distinguished road

Do you see people that's not really in shape that can't do that many pushups for example? How did those guys turn out?
Agrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
drcsyntax

drcsyntax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrias View Post
Do you see people that's not really in shape that can't do that many pushups for example? How did those guys turn out?
Probably ASMO and possible discharge if they can't improve.

Our OP mentions sticking with lies. If you did hide something, make it your life from now on, it IS your life from now on. Never bring it up again, with anyone, ever.
drcsyntax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
johnplisac32
**Active Duty**

johnplisac32 is on a distinguished road

Congrats and thanks for the info
Old 04-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
aplebotomz

aplebotomz is on a distinguished road

Congrats on graduating BC!!!!!! What week in bootcamp do they split you into FC or ET? Have you done your security clearance interview yet? I leave for BC soon and I have yet to do my interview. How is ET school so far? Do you wish you would have gotten FC instead?
aplebotomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
Bakery234

Bakery234 is on a distinguished road

Congrats man. I'm 20 years old, in somewhat good shape. Working on push ups and cutting down my run time. However, I do have a couple of questions. Did you need waivers? What were your p-days like? How about the moment of truth? Hardest and easiest parts for you? Sorry for the barrage, but I'm excited and nervous at the same time and I didn't even DEP yet lol
Bakery234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
Tootsieroll7

Tootsieroll7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplebotomz View Post
Congrats on graduating BC!!!!!! What week in bootcamp do they split you into FC or ET? Have you done your security clearance interview yet? I leave for BC soon and I have yet to do my interview. How is ET school so far? Do you wish you would have gotten FC instead?
Congrats and thank you for the info. I'd like to know more process about this as well.
Tootsieroll7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
drcsyntax

drcsyntax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsieroll7 View Post
Congrats and thank you for the info. I'd like to know more process about this as well.
I know for my rate (SECF) I won't actually find out my true rate until BESS, not bootcamp. I don't know if it's the same process, but if you're in a program that splits into little ones, you probably won't know which one until you go through your first little qualifying school. (SECF breaks into ET, STS, and FT)
drcsyntax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
Mikeym718

As far as being out of shape. Unfortunately there is like an unwritten rule of lying in the Navy in regards to pushups. Many couldn't even do more than 10, but they made it. If you can do your run you will pass because you will "do" 60 push ups come PFA. Everybody "does" 60 push ups and 60 sit ups. I think it's BS, but what can I do.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Mikeym718

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplebotomz View Post
You find out about week 5 when they have you check your temporary orders.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
Agrias
**Active Duty**

Quote:
As far as being out of shape. Unfortunately there is like an unwritten rule of lying in the Navy in regards to pushups. Many couldn't even do more than 10, but they made it. If you can do your run you will pass because you will "do" 60 push ups come PFA. Everybody "does" 60 push ups and 60 sit ups. I think it's BS, but what can I do.
if that's the case i can't say i'll complain. i'll need to work on running regardless, that's where i seem to be weakest at, besides the fact that i can't swim that is.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
Mikeym718

Yeah you will do fine. My honest opinion though. Push yourself and try your best and better your push ps. Don't be the guy laying on the floor causing your shipmates to do more because you can't. Always put in your all and you will be surprised at how much you can do by the end of boot camp. As I said I went from 35-40 to 80-95. The run is easy and I learned the hard way. Just don't stop lol it's that easy. You can basically jog it at a fast jog pace and pass. I never "Ran" in my life and I passed my 2nd and last PFA. By the way good luck with AECF. The schooling is like 6-7 months but your put on hold all the time so it becomes like a year and a half.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #16
Agrias
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Yeah you will do fine. My honest opinion though. Push yourself and try your best and better your push ps. Don't be the guy laying on the floor causing your shipmates to do more because you can't. Always put in your all and you will be surprised at how much you can do by the end of boot camp. As I said I went from 35-40 to 80-95. The run is easy and I learned the hard way. Just don't stop lol it's that easy. You can basically jog it at a fast jog pace and pass. I never "Ran" in my life and I passed my 2nd and last PFA. By the way good luck with AECF. The schooling is like 6-7 months but your put on hold all the time so it becomes like a year and a half.
what do you do in between the holds? do you just sit there and wait?
Old 04-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #17
Mikeym718

I was lucky and classed up in 1 day. The first week regardless was "Indoc" and it sucks. They just feed you boring information about not raping, sexual harassing one another, and covers topics such as abuse. Mostly all common sense stuff, but I guess its not so common since they have to do it for a week from 0600-1600. The first 2 days I believe we got out at 1800. After that you can do as you please pretty much unless it's your duty day. In regards to being on hold. You basically wake up at 0800 clean for an hour or so then hang out in the lounge of your building doing nothing. You can use your laptop or gaming devices if you like so it's not bad at all. It's pretty chill, but don't count on classing up in a day if your AECF.