NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTT = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN TECHNICAL

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 10-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation
Default CTT Schooling ~ How long does it take?

CTT's have two different types, they are 4 year (operators) or 6 years (technical). The 6 year CTT's go through a lot more schools, starting with basic electronics. While 4 year CTT's go through bits & pieces, not all of the school. What does that mean? Just keep reading and you'll understand....
  • CTR, CTN, CTT (4 years) go directly to Corry Station. The CTM & CTT go to Naval Air Technical Training Center (NATTC), which is located on Naval Air Station (NAS) Pensacola to learn basic electronics.

FOR 6 year CTT's and CTM's ONLY:
  • When you get the Pensacola from boot camp, you will be arriving to Pensacola by plane. You will be picked up at the airport by the military bus and transported. When you land, just check-in at the Airport Information counter or USO office (2nd floor) for pick up times.
  • The bus will bring you through the front gate at NAS Pensacola and bring you to Bldg #600. This is the main building that will assign you your barrack.
  • ALL CTT 6 years and CTM STUDENTS MUST CHECK IN HERE...

2. The 6 year CTT's and CTM's will attend NATTC to learn basic electronics. This school is about 1 month long. Once done, you will move to Corry Station which is about 5 miles from NAS Pensacola.

3. At Corry, both the CTT 4 and 6 year sailor will attend Entry Level ELINT (ELE) school. ELectronic signals INTelligence (ELINT) refers to intelligence-gathering by use of electronic sensors. Its primary focus lies on non-communications (Voice) signals intelligence called COmmunications INTelligence (COMINT). ELE is the "A" school for both 4 and 6 year CTT's. It is about 2 months long.
(btw: the CTR's do the COMINT stuff)

4. The 6yr CTT's will then go to Maintenance school to learn how to repair the AN/SLQ-32 (V2). I can't really can't go into what it does.

Originally the AN/SLQ-32 wasn't that good, which was sadly proven in May 1987, when the USS STARK (FFG 31) was attacked in the Persian Gulf by two Exocet missiles fired from an Iraqi Mirage fighter. After the USS STARK incident, an urgent requirement was established to provide an up-to-date system. Now the system is awesome. The maintenance course is 21 weeks.

Here is a link to the unclassified info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/SLQ-..._Warfare_Suite

Here is a picture of the SLQ-32:

5. The 6 year CTT will then go to the Ship Self Defense System (SSDS) and the MK53 Decoy Launching System (DLS) This is the Chaff launcher that just sprays the skys with tiny pieces of metal. These small metals pieces will make the enemy missile think it's actually slamming into a ship. It fools it. This school is 1 week long.

The MK53 Decoy Launching System (DLS) is an automated, fast response, decoy dispensing system. It is designed to provide for a range of active and passive RF and IR decoys used to counter current and future subsonic and supersonic anti-ship missiles (ASM).

The DLS can be interfaced with and controlled by an Electronic Warfare System (EWS) such as the AN/SLQ-32 (V) Shipboard Electronic Countermeasure System or an integrated combat system.

The function of the DLS is to deploy decoys to defeat Anti-ship Missile (ASM) attacks.

Here is pictures of the chaff and DLS launchers. There is usually 6 positions on the ship .

6. Then both the 4 and 6 year CTT's will go to Shipboard OPS. This is how to actually operate the AN/SLQ-32. To maintain/repair the system you 6 year CTT's also need to know how to operate it, just like the 4 year guys.
For the 4 year CTT's, you will notice that you only go to Entry Level ELINT and Shipboard OPS (this section), then your off to the fleet...
Shipboard OPS is 2 months long.

7. Lastly, the 6 year CTT's could go to even more specialize training on the AN/SLQ-32. You will notice that all 6 year CTT's go to the V2 class on AN/SQL-32. Depending on which ship you get, you might need either the V3, V4, or V5 version of the SLQ-32. This extra training (you only get one) is 1 month long.

As originally designed, the SLQ-32 (slick-32) was produced in three variants, the (V)1, (V)2 and (V)3. Later in its service life, two additional versions were built, the (V)4 and (V)5.

SLQ-32(V)1 – A simple threat warning receiver, it was capable of receiving high-band radar signals of the type commonly carried on missiles and aircraft. The (V)1 was installed on auxiliary ships and small combatants such as frigates. This variant of the system is now gone, all ships have either been decommissioned or the equipment has been upgraded.
SLQ-32(V)2 – Initially the most common variant, the (V)2 added the ability to receive surveillance and targeting radars. This provided a passive targeting capability for Harpoon missile-equipped ships. The (V)2 was installed on frigates, destroyers, and 270-foot (82 m) Coast Guard Cutters.
SLQ-32(V)3 – Expanding on the (V)2’s capabilities, the (V)3 added active radar-jamming capability. The (V)3 was installed on various combatants such as cruisers, battleships, large amphibious ships and high-value replenishment vessels.
SLQ-32(V)4 – Designed for installation on aircraft carriers, the (V)4 consisted of two (V)3 systems, one for each side of the ship, tied to a common computer and display console. Additional line replaceable units and software were added to support the wide separation of the two antenna/electronics enclosures.
SLQ-32(V)5 – The (V)5 was built as a response to the Stark incident in 1987. The (V)5 incorporated a compact version of the (V)3 system intended to give active jamming capability to the Perry class FFG’s, which were too small to carry a full (V)3.

Here is some more info:

There are six (6) LORAL HYCOR MK 137 SUPER RAPID BLOOMING OFF BOARD CHAFF DISPENSER : Six chaff dispensers are scattered around the carrier to provide protection against RF homing missiles. Each dispenser consists of six tubes filled with six packets of chaff deployed by the defensive systems operator.
  • PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-Missiles
  • RANGE: 500 m
  • RATE OF FIRE: Up to 6 packets per volley
  • PAYLOAD: Six packets of chaff per tube for a total of 36 per launcher
  • BONUS: Subtract -5 to strike from the missile attack roll for every chaff/flare burst (-2 for intelligent missiles)

SLQ-32(V)4 ELECTRONIC WARFARE SUITE: Providing broadband protection, the SQL-32 will inhibit enemy radars from detecting carrier, identifies threats, and diverts missiles from hitting their target. The system produces very high effective radiative power on inbound targets minimizing their burn through range until they can no longer adjust their flight path to hit the ship. However vehicles with ECCM systems will have an easier time to located the system through passive direction finding techniques.
  • PRIMARY PURPOSE: Electronic Warfare
  • SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-missile
  • RANGE: 100 km
  • BONUS SENSOR INSTRUMENTS: Subtract -10% from read sensory instruments for every 10 kilometers within 100 kilometers effective range of the system (eg at 60 kilometers subtract -40%). ECCM systems are +25%.
  • BONUS MISSILES: RF homing missiles are -5 to strike; however anti-radiation missiles are +5 to strike

An integral component and an effective asset in the Navy's Ship Self Defense System (SSDS), the AN/SLQ-32A Electronic Warfare System comprises three modular versions with increasing levels of complexity deployed in five variants:
  • AN/SLQ-32(V)1 provides Electronic Support (ES) for one RF band, providing warning, identification, and direction-finding of incoming anti-ship missile (ASM) terminal guidance radars
  • AN/SLQ-32(V)2 provides ES for increased RF coverage adding early warning, identification, and direction-finding against the targeting radars associated with these ASMs
  • AN/SLQ-32(V)3 adds Electronic Attack [EA] jamming capability against the targeting and ASM terminal guidance radars.
  • AN/SLQ-32(V)4 installed on aircraft carriers (CV/CVNs)
  • AN/SLQ-32(V)5 adds EA to the AN/SLQ-32A(V)2 for Oliver Hazard Perry FFG Class ships

Last edited by Craig; 06-21-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
acharbi

acharbi is on a distinguished road
Default Great!

This is fantastic information; thank you! I am shipping to RTC on 20130529 with my rate being AEF CTT. I am pretty excited for what I do know, but I appreciate the in-depth specifics.

How did/do you like Pensacola?
acharbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #3
elite636

elite636 is on a distinguished road

This was extremely helpful, thanks! I'm shipping out Jan next year and am trying to find out as much as I can about my rate. Your post gave me a lot of good info to start off with.
elite636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
acharbi

acharbi is on a distinguished road

Elite636, I have been in Pensacola for nearly 4 months now. I graduated A school and am on to shipboard ops. PM me if you have any questions.
acharbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
elite636

acharbi,
I sent you a pm.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:09 AM   #6
elite636

Is all the schooling done in Pensacola or do we have to go elsewhere?
Old 02-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #7
Zachdaniel

Zachdaniel is on a distinguished road

Do CTT's go through ATT?
Zachdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
Kevreev

Kevreev is on a distinguished road

Zachdaniel, only 6 year contracts go through ATT. Upon graduation of bootcamp you will report to CID Unit Corry Station. There you will take ELE and possibly Shipboard Ops depending on when you get your orders and what billet your orders are for. If you are a 6 year contract, you will leave Corry after completion of Ship Ops and go to NATTC Pensacola and take ATT. After ATT, 6y contracts will then go back to Corry Station and complete Maintenance. With holding included it takes 4 year contracts 3-6 months to complete training and it takes 6 year contracts approximately 15-18 months to complete training. Hope this helps and smooth sailing.
Kevreev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #9
bronxCTM

bronxCTM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevreev View Post
Zachdaniel, only 6 year contracts go through ATT. Upon graduation of bootcamp you will report to CID Unit Corry Station. There you will take ELE and possibly Shipboard Ops depending on when you get your orders and what billet your orders are for. If you are a 6 year contract, you will leave Corry after completion of Ship Ops and go to NATTC Pensacola and take ATT. After ATT, 6y contracts will then go back to Corry Station and complete Maintenance. With holding included it takes 4 year contracts 3-6 months to complete training and it takes 6 year contracts approximately 15-18 months to complete training. Hope this helps and smooth sailing.
Yep this is correct. The class in our classroom for day classes is a CTT class--like 3 of them are already third class petty officers.

CompTIA A+ Certified: May 29, 2012
CompTIA Network+ Certified: June 5, 2013
bronxCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #10
Breakdancer/EOD

Breakdancer/EOD is on a distinguished road
Default after boot camp

How long of a break do you have to get to corry station? I have a car i might be keeping and was wondering if I was able to drive from little rock to pensacola after my boot camp graduation

Breakdancer/EOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #11
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakdancer/EOD View Post
How long of a break do you have to get to corry station? I have a car i might be keeping and was wondering if I was able to drive from little rock to pensacola after my boot camp graduation
Even if you're waiting to class up, you're still *there*
People typically aren't authorized leave until after a school. Once you phase up, you'll be able to go out of town on weekends, but there is still a 300 mile limit without special permission.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #12
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakdancer/EOD View Post
Navy doesn't get leave after bootcamp. You'll be sent to the airport with a plane ticket to your A school right after graduation - generally around 0100 Saturday morning, although your flight might not leave for hours after that.

I've seen sailors in hold get authorized leave to go home for a few days - after they've done their phasework, and only if they've still got time until they class up, but remember you won't have much leave saved up (you earn about 5 days in bootcamp).
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #13
Coreymaher

Coreymaher is on a distinguished road

Question though, I signed up for CTT Technic as a reservists for 8 years. How do I know which school I will go to?
Coreymaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #14
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Corey,

When you say technical, are you just saying you signed as a CTT or as a CTT tech?

There is a difference between an operator CTT and a tech CTT. We do the same jobs, but one goes through electronics training so they can perform maintenance on the gear and the other doesn't (just operates).

Operators go to Corry for somewhere around 6-8 months whereas tech's will be there about a year plus.
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote