NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Hospital Corpsmen G000, L500

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-28-2016, 11:28 AM   #1
FutureSailor011

FutureSailor011 is on a distinguished road
Default The Pathways for HM - Which can I do?

Hello, my name is John.

I'm currently in the DEP Program and am shipping out to BMT in just a few weeks. My rate is HM.

I've done a lot of research on HM, but it seems I always come out of an article with more questions than answers. So, please help me out.

Of the paths that I'm aware of (which are, excluding "C" school, IDC, FMF, and Diver), I want to do them all- IDC, FMF, and Diver.

I'm aware that to qualify for IDC you must be at least E5 (Petty Officer Second Class), and that for Diver you can be between E2 and E6. FMF is a billet that you can choose at "A" school or be assigned later in your career (and that the ribbon/ medal thing is almost a necessity for evaluations).

My question is, can I do all three (not at once, of course)?

As IDC I can help my shipmates without having to go through someone (a medical officer) every time they need Motrin or water.
As FMF I can support the Marines and toughen myself up.
As a Diver, I can be a safety net for my shipmates.

Also, what other paths are available to me as Enlisted (I'm not really interested in a specialty like dentist or surgeon or the other vast majority of "C" Schools I've read about despite their translation into a civilian career)?

Side-note #1: I know you can get different kinds of certifications, such as EMT. What certifications are available to me while serving, how-and how early-can I get them?
Side-note #2: If time and the Navy permits it, I'd like to one day be an officer. What kind of job training opportunities do they have?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

So, my CMC at my last command was an HM. He had 6 warfare pins....
(FMF, ESWS, Expeditionary, Diver, Jumper, Dolphins) He was also an IDC. He's served withe the Navy, Marines, and Army (all as a sailor - he didn't cross branches). He's also an instructor.
... just to give you an idea of what's possible...

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #3
walla125
**Active Duty**

walla125 is a splendid one to beholdwalla125 is a splendid one to beholdwalla125 is a splendid one to behold

I am now a CMC but spent my career as an HM. I was an IDC and spent most of my time with the Marines but also did stints with a BMU, on a DDG, LSD and also was an HM A school instructor ( just before the move to San Antonio). As an HM, or for any rate, the sky's the limit. The only thing holding you back from what you want to do is you. If you have specific questions please feel free to private message me but, it sounds like you have done your research.

Best,
CMDCM(SW/AF/FMF) W.
walla125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:28 PM   #4
FutureSailor011

FutureSailor011 is on a distinguished road

Thank you both for you responses, they've helped.