NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Special Warfare > EOD = EXPLOSIVE ORDNANCE DISPOSAL TECHNICIAN

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #1
blange94

blange94 is on a distinguished road
Default EOD Tech

I'm currently losing weight to make standards but I'm researching all the rates so I know what I'm walking into when I go to MEPS. EOD tech has caught my attention. But I cant seem to find what kind of security clearance it requires. Any one know? Thanks!
blange94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

To join is a Secret... while in training, you'll have to upgrade to Top Secret/SCI with Presidential Support access.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:02 AM   #3
blange94

What all in involved in that? What do they look into?
Old 05-21-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blange94 View Post
What all in involved in that? What do they look into?
Secret involves a National Agency Check... they look at FBI, State, and all local PD and sheriff's dept. records for everywhere you've lived or worked... they check credit, and they check Social Security records for all past employment to verify you didn't try to hide a job from them.

Top Secret involves a Single Scope Background Investigation... same paperwork, but you go back 10 years instead of 7 years in several sections. You will also have a federal investigator from the Office of Personnel Management assigned to interview you in-person and go over every question you filled out to make absolutely sure you're answer is truthful... they'll then send investigators out of talk to friends, family, employers, teachers, neighbors, and at least 2 "developed sources" who are people you didn't list but are obtained from other references.

Sensitive Compartmented Information and POTUS Support are basically just checks in the box when they do your Top Secret. POTUS Support may require a polygraph examination... or it may not.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #5
blange94

I dont have anything to hide, but I know some people that would screw me over if they got interviewed. Can I get DQ'ed for that?
Old 05-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
I'm currently losing weight to make standards but I'm researching all the rates so I know what I'm walking into when I go to MEPS. EOD tech has caught my attention. But I cant seem to find what kind of security clearance it requires. Any one know? Thanks!
If you are losing weight just to make standards and aren't in top shape, I would worry about that more than the clearance. Most spec op guys are already in top shape for years before going into boot camp.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
I dont have anything to hide, but I know some people that would screw me over if they got interviewed. Can I get DQ'ed for that?
Completely depends on what they have to say. Generally, investigators have an "ex-girlfriend clause" that prohibits them from reporting unsubstantiated testimony from only one source. So, if one person says you do all the meth in the world and train al Qaeda in your attic... but nobody else corroborates that, it's not factored against you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
If you are losing weight just to make standards and aren't in top shape, I would worry about that more than the clearance. Most spec op guys are already in top shape for years before going into boot camp.
^ I'd agree with this... all NSW programs are extremely physically intense... I work with Aircrewmen who dropped from SO, SWCC, EOD, etc. and they're in very good shape... yet they weren't fit enough to make it through training.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
kforbs126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
Completely depends on what they have to say. Generally, investigators have an "ex-girlfriend clause" that prohibits them from reporting unsubstantiated testimony from only one source. So, if one person says you do all the meth in the world and train al Qaeda in your attic... but nobody else corroborates that, it's not factored against you.

^ I'd agree with this... all NSW programs are extremely physically intense... I work with Aircrewmen who dropped from SO, SWCC, EOD, etc. and they're in very good shape... yet they weren't fit enough to make it through training.
PT is a bitch, 4 to 5 mile runs 3 days a week. It's been an eye opener for me.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post

That's a good thing.
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #10
jt

jt is on a distinguished road

If you're losing weight just to meet the requirements, you have a lot of training ahead of you. EOD isn't as competitive as the SO/SB rates, but no one can just walk into it and get contracted. Plus, getting the contract is the easy part. Then you actually have to get ready for the training.
jt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #11
blange94

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
PT is a bitch, 4 to 5 mile runs 3 days a week. It's been an eye opener for me.
Looks like I'll be choosing a different rate and volunteer a few years down the road. I can barely do a mile now, let alone severl. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #12
kforbs126

Quote:
Looks like I'll be choosing a different rate and volunteer a few years down the road. I can barely do a mile now, let alone severl. Thanks for the help guys.
I'm not an EOD I'm just support at a spec ops command. This is typical for the support people. The Spec Op guys do way more than that.