NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Gunner's Mate B320

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-09-2016, 11:06 PM   #1
Gunnersate1995

Gunnersate1995 is on a distinguished road
Default A School Length

I keep seeing different numbers for how many weeks A school is for GM. Everywhere online and in the paper I got from MEPS, it says 27 weeks but some people are saying it's 12 weeks.
Gunnersate1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:19 AM   #2
noahvacha

noahvacha is on a distinguished road

i feel the same way i cant find the actual time of a school
noahvacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

The official answer is 27 weeks. The actual time may be different due to holds, class up time, self paced portions, any failures, holidays, and other factors.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:21 AM   #4
Just4Kixs

Just4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud of

I'm a GM. Graduated this year.

ATT is 4 weeks. A school is about 12-13 weeks. This isn't including time being placed on holds. My overall time in TSC GL was 5 months.

When I graduated though, my graduating class was the 2nd-to-last class to be in the old curriculum. You will be in the new curriculum. And that, I am unsure is how long. It should be shorter somewhat since they are taking away some topics like security and such.
Just4Kixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:24 AM   #5
erinlynn6

erinlynn6 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone gotten an answer to the length of training under the new curriculum. The rate sheet for GM still says 27 weeks but most people say 16-17 for ATT and A school combined. One theory I read was total training (including boot camp) made the length of training approximately 27 weeks.
erinlynn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:36 PM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinlynn6 View Post
Has anyone gotten an answer to the length of training under the new curriculum. The rate sheet for GM still says 27 weeks but most people say 16-17 for ATT and A school combined. One theory I read was total training (including boot camp) made the length of training approximately 27 weeks.
I wouldn't be focusing too much on those numbers.
Once he arrives at school there is going to be some time between then and when he actually starts training anyway. You don't just show up and get into class the next day.

So some parts of the year it'll go faster than others. I'm pretty sure some of it is also CBT now (Computer Based Training) which can vary your timeline a bit based on how fast the Sailor completes those.

He'll leave RTC and head over to the A-school side and get indoc'd over there. He'll get a barracks room, get assigned a duty section, probably do some "hey you're out of boot camp now, here's how to function as an adult" classes, some financial classes on how to manage money now that he's getting a real paycheck, etc. From then until when he starts class he'll most likely be doing work and standing watches around the base. Should have plenty of downtime as well after getting adjusted and situated.

If you have some specific questions I can message a few of my buddies over there. They're also 1st Class PO's and are in charge of the guys coming over from RTC.

/r
CTT1