NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Boatswains Mate B400, K000

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-15-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation
Default More BM rating info stuff...

Boatswain's Mate (BM)

Boatswain's Mates train and supervise personnel in all activities relating to marlinspike, deck, and boat seamanship, and oversee the maintenance of the ship's external structure and deck equipment. They act as petty officers in charge of small craft and may perform duties as master-at-arms, serve in or take charge of gun crews, and damage control parties.

Boatswain's Mates (BM) train, direct, and supervise personnel in ship's maintenance duties in all activities relating to marlinespike, deck, boat seamanship, painting, upkeep of ship's external structure, rigging, deck equipment, and boats. BM's also operate and maintain equipment used in loading and unloading cargo, ammunition, fuel, and general stores.
This is an enlistment program option which enables men and women to enlist without a specific rating. Such "seamen" are called Boatswain's Mates, and remain so, unless/until they "strike" (apply) for a Navy rating (job) at a later point in their career. Most recruits who enlist under this option due so because the rating of choice is not available at the time of their enlistment.

The duties performed by Seamen (Boatswain's Mates) include:
  • serving as helmsmen and lookouts;
  • repairing, maintaining and stowing equipment in preparation for underway operations;
  • working in non-engineering divisions of the ship or station;
  • standing security watches while in port and under way;
  • operating sound-powered telephone systems;
  • doing temporary duty for 90-120 days with food services divisions or compartment cleaning;
  • serving as a member of damage control, emergency and security alert teams;
  • participating in naval ceremonies;
  • taking part in underway replenishment (transferring supplies from ship to ship at sea);
  • working with qualified personnel to gain job training and experience.
Working Environment
After successful completion of this training, Seamen are usually assigned to shipboard duties where the Navy needs them the most. Seamen can request and may receive on-the-job training in a rating that they are interested in, qualified for and is available at their first command by completing correspondence courses and personal advancement requirements. They must also be recommended by their commanding officer for the Navy rating they desire.
A-School (Job School) Information
After completion of recruit training, enlistees in the Seaman Apprenticeship Training Program attend a three-week course on basic theory in shipboard operations and evolution's. This is not considered an "A-School." Seamen may also attend Navy schools to learn about general damage control, shipboard fire fighting, preventive maintenance of special equipment, and the use of special tools used in the rating they are working in or seeking.
Security Clearance Requirement: None
Other Requirements
None

Sea/Shore Rotation for This Rating
  • First Sea Tour: 60 months
  • First Shore Tour: 36 months
  • Second Sea Tour: 54 months
  • Second Shore Tour: 36 months
  • Third Sea Tour: 36 months
  • Third Shore Tour: 36 months
  • Fourth Sea Tour: 36 months
  • Forth Shore Tour: 36 months
Note: Sea tours and shore tours for sailors that have completed four sea tours will be 36 months at sea followed by 36 months ashore until retirement.

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
JerseyRob

JerseyRob is on a distinguished road

Is it just me or does this seem to be a very unpopular rate?

I know there is a more mundane side to this rate as well, painting, cleaning etc. but, I have read that along with everything BM's can also serve as coxswain, operating small craft, they can be Search and Rescure swimmers, and can serve on Flight Deck Crews for Helo Ops. That all sounds great to me, maybe I am being naive, do BM's actually do all of this?

Is it worth it go to MEPS and ask if BM is available, as opposed to "Most recruits who enlist under this option due so because the rating of choice is not available at the time of their enlistment"?
JerseyRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Unpopular doesn't mean undesirable. An experienced BM has a huge set of practical sailing skills, and is probably the only rating capable of operating a ship with actual sails these days. They're the closest to sailing's ancient heritage. And if you love hard work and practicality, you can go far here.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
JerseyRob

JerseyRob is on a distinguished road

I totally agree definitletly not undesirable! I am more interested in going BM but my recruiter wants me to go AECF. I cant think of two rates more different from eachother.

Thanks for the advice.
JerseyRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
Adit

Adit is on a distinguished road

We're one of the most important ratings in the Navy, we are by far the most traditional and the oldest rating. We do everything from paint the ship to drive it. If you want a true, hands on all around Navy experience then this is the rating for you. Yes, it's a lot of hard, sometimes BS work but we do a lot of critical evolutions.
Adit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRob View Post
I have read that along with everything BM's can also serve as coxswain, operating small craft, they can be Search and Rescure swimmers, and can serve on Flight Deck Crews for Helo Ops. That all sounds great to me, maybe I am being naive, do BM's actually do all of this?
Yes, BM's absolutely get to do this stuff. Just remember you gotta be the one to push for it though. Nobody is going to hand out a qual-book for Coxswain; you have to go get it yourself.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #7
cousteau

cousteau is on a distinguished road

Anybody knows on how A school for BM works? and how long it took to complete training (including the weekends and stuff, on top of the 26 days they post on the rating sheet)?
cousteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
rosch

rosch has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousteau View Post
Anybody knows on how A school for BM works? and how long it took to complete training (including the weekends and stuff, on top of the 26 days they post on the rating sheet)?
Not sure if you have seen this or not, but here is the info I have found for BM's
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bm_06_11.pdf (27.7 KB, 19 views)
rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #9
navyQuestion

navyQuestion is on a distinguished road
Default Question - small-boat operations

For each type of ship, How often do BMs get on a small-boat?
For example, how often are RHIB evolutions done on a ship?
Do/can QMs serve as small-boat crew and coxswain?
navyQuestion is offline   Reply With Quote