NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > IT = INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (IT, ITS)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
navybound7

navybound7 has a spectacular aura about
Default Security Clearance

I am currently in the DEP, going into the reserves as an "IT" and ship to Great Lakes at the end of August. I read some places that IT requires Secret, other places that say "Top Secret", and other places that say "Secret with SCI/Background Investigation". which is it, and what is entailed with each of them. not that it matters just trying to figure out what all I have to go through.
navybound7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by navybound7 View Post
I am currently in the DEP, going into the reserves as an "IT" and ship to Great Lakes at the end of August. I read some places that IT requires Secret, other places that say "Top Secret", and other places that say "Secret with SCI/Background Investigation". which is it, and what is entailed with each of them. not that it matters just trying to figure out what all I have to go through.
It's top secret.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
greenh0rn

greenh0rn is on a distinguished road

I signed for IT and am also curious about this. I think I read somewhere that a TS isn't necessarily required and that it'll depend on your assignment.

If we're getting TS right off the bat, does the investigation start while we're in DEP or after we leave for RTC?
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
Spook

Spook will become famous soon enough

I got top secret as an IT. As for the investigation, after you leave meps i believe is when they start that. My Recruiter notified me that i passed about 2 weeks later.
Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #5
Race

Race is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone, im currently on Corry Station which is where IT school is, when you first get here you will only get a secret, you could get a top secret afterwards, it depends where you get stationed.
Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
navybound7

navybound7 has a spectacular aura about

Thank you for the info race.
navybound7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:06 AM   #7
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race View Post
Hey everyone, im currently on Corry Station which is where IT school is, when you first get here you will only get a secret, you could get a top secret afterwards, it depends where you get stationed.
Unless you're a CT of any kind. As a CT, you'll need a TS//SCI before you're allowed in the SCIF (where you'll be for class). IT A-schoolers aren't in a SCIF for class and thusly aren't required to have TS//SCI.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #8
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
I got top secret as an IT. As for the investigation, after you leave meps i believe is when they start that. My Recruiter notified me that i passed about 2 weeks later.
You passed for Secret. (most people do before the leave for boot)

You won't be granted TS or SCI until your job actually requires you to have it (ie you're at your command or a C-school that requires it). As an IT you might need it to work with crypto for the comms circuits. But you'll get into that once you get to your duty station.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote