NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
RockyFin

RockyFin is on a distinguished road
Default Enter Boot camp at an older age

I had a few thoughts running through my head and i just wanted to ask this question. What was Bootcamp like for recruits over the age of 25. I know im going to be treated just like everyone else that will be there. Just want to hear others experence
RockyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Check out this thread:

http://www.navydep.com/forums/showth...hlight=grandpa

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
notjustaUSNwife

notjustaUSNwife is on a distinguished road

This is the thing that makes me the most nervous. I'm 25. I'm just concerned about how I'll react to some of the younger people. I've been in the gym and out running 5-6 days a week and studying my butt off. This means a lot to me being older. I want this to be my career so I'm determined to try 10 times harder and be more serious than I ever was in college.
notjustaUSNwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustaUSNwife View Post
This is the thing that makes me the most nervous. I'm 25. I'm just concerned about how I'll react to some of the younger people. I've been in the gym and out running 5-6 days a week and studying my butt off. This means a lot to me being older. I want this to be my career so I'm determined to try 10 times harder and be more serious than I ever was in college.
You're gonna be one of the few who has no problem with the PFA, and will probably have an overall easier time at RTC due to your maturity and experience. Yes, it will get boring and frustrating paying for younger recruits mistakes, but you just have to roll with it and do what you can to mentor your fellow recruits after hours.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
D.Brothers

D.Brothers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustaUSNwife View Post
I am right there with you. Although I'm 23, so I'm a little younger but i have always been more mature than my peers.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Diesirae27

Diesirae27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
Well...guess I'll be Grandpa too! My little sister (18 years old) is at BC now. She has written me to say that the older wiser recruits get placed into leadership roles.
Diesirae27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
HMYert

HMYert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesirae27 View Post
Well...guess I'll be Grandpa too! My little sister (18 years old) is at BC now. She has written me to say that the older wiser recruits get placed into leadership roles.
Diesirae27, when do you ship?
HMYert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Mackin1231

Mackin1231 is on a distinguished road

Ill be 25 when I go. I know it'll be annoying being around some many younger people but I am ready to do my time and get it over with.
Mackin1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
Angst

Angst is on a distinguished road

I was 32. The worst part was the stress on your knees from doing fun shit like air chairs, constantly sitting on the deck or standing at attention for hours, folding your clothes on the deck.

The lack of any caffeine mixed with very little sleep is rough to adjust to at first.

You'll likely want to punch a mouthy teenager in the face at some point too. The drama is worse than what I remember from high school.

But you get through it one meal at a time.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
johnplisac32
**Active Duty**

johnplisac32 is on a distinguished road

angst said it all i will be 33 on tuesday i graduated boot 1 nov 13 i was the MA got fired after 2 weeks cause i was too hard on the younger recruits
Old 11-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #11
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

I wouldn't really worry about being old in boot camp. Once you get to the fleet is when I think it's worse. Most of you will be E3's and older than your chiefs. You'll have to compete with guys/girls that are way younger than you.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:39 AM   #12
Diesirae27

Diesirae27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMYert View Post
Diesirae27, when do you ship?
June 09 2014
Diesirae27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
RockyFin

RockyFin is on a distinguished road

ya i can already see the lack of intellagence in most of the recruits at my dep meeting. Most of them have been in dep over 6 months and didn't know the creed-maxim or the general orders. I learned all of those in a few days lol.
RockyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Remember, you will be doing the same push ups, the same job as these younger recruits. Insulting their maturity or intelligence is more a reflection on you then on them.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
Chance

Chance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
Remember, you will be doing the same push ups, the same job as these younger recruits. Insulting their maturity or intelligence is more a reflection on you then on them.
Well put.
I'm 25, and sure I may be a bit annoyed with a few 18 year old recruits, but I was 18 once too.

Just remember you are there to train and learn. let the RDC's and RPCO's worry about immiturity amongst ranks.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote