NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > IT = INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (IT, ITS)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Lurch

Lurch is on a distinguished road
Default IT Duty Stations

What are some duty stations that an IT could end up at? I have the 6yo contract so I will have a C school so I will have a bit more training under my belt. With this being said could your preference of duty station be more specific? Thank you for any input and words of advice!
Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
ganderif

ganderif is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
What are some duty stations that an IT could end up at? I have the 6yo contract so I will have a C school so I will have a bit more training under my belt. With this being said could your preference of duty station be more specific? Thank you for any input and words of advice!
I'm in the same boat as you, but I really haven't found out a ton of info on IT. I'm pretty sure we are stationed at every base and ship, but I have a feeling that it might be hard to get shore duty right away.
ganderif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
H1PH0PEL3M3NT5

H1PH0PEL3M3NT5 is on a distinguished road

Sweet! Other ITs. Haha. I'm curious about that as well. We're all in the same boat. Lol.
H1PH0PEL3M3NT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
Lurch

Good to know you guys are in the same boat as myself. From what I understand we can be anywhere. However, that is a broad spectrum. Hopefully someone will jump on here and give us some insight.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
arvinvitug

arvinvitug is on a distinguished road

X2, I want to know the same thing.

I would like to station at maybe Sandiego or Hawaii, so if any ITs out there tried any of those two, please share your intel on how life is like there on and off the job (:
arvinvitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Lurch

While we are here waiting on some info. What is your all's ship dates? Mine is 20121212, December 12th 2012. Look at the 12's haha
Old 07-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Assuming that the IT duty stations are the same as the general CT stations (which there is a thread about in the general CT sub heading), duty stations in the US would be all of the SIGINT domains:

Fort Gordon, Pensacola, Fort Dix, Detroit, Hawaii, Ogden, North Island, Greensboro, Medina, Great Lakes, Camp Parks, Washington DC, Fort Meade, Fort Lewis, Orlando, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Denver, Fort Worth, and Fort Devens.

Also according to that thread - highest concentration of ITs as of 2010 was at Norfolk (3100ish), followed by San Diego (1700ish), Hawaii (900ish), Pacific North West (400ish), and Jacksonville (300ish). There is a greater percentage of ITs at sea than on land at any given time, but over an entire 30 year career you spend more time on shore duty.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

ITs can go anywhere. I work with IT's that started at shore and on sea duty, it all depends on what the Navy needs at the time.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:03 AM   #9
H1PH0PEL3M3NT5

I'm shipping out 20120808. That's in 17 days. Lol. I heard of a lot of ITs being able to go anywhere. I asked the Chief in charge of my district and she said I would more than likely be able to get San Diego. But I guess we'll see. I'm from Virginia Beach, but grew up in Norfolk. Not really trying to stay here. Haha.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:05 AM   #10
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

You will definitely get your time at sea also. Please don't think cause you get shore first that you won't get sea. If you get shore first it will be only for 2 years then you'll be off to a sea duty station.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Lurch

H1PH0PEL3M3NT5, I am the opposite of you. You want San Diego, I used to live there but I live in TN now, and I want Norfolk. That is where you live....interesting. lol.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:52 AM   #12
H1PH0PEL3M3NT5

Haha. I miss the west coast. I also have family there. I mean, VA will always be home, but I just need to get away. Coming over here, you'll be surrounded by military people. Not that it's a bad thing. VA is very military-populated. Norfolk Naval Base, Oceana, Little Creek, Langley, etc. I'm sure you'll feel right at home. Lol.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #13
anlowe7

anlowe7 is on a distinguished road

Lurch...where at in TN do you live!?
anlowe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
Lurch

I live in Athens. PM me if you would like. Athens is a small town. I can get more descriptive of where. Shoot me a message.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:47 AM   #15
jfraider29

jfraider29 is on a distinguished road

IT's go literally everywhere that there are military members. For us 6 years, our first orders WILL be sea duty, with very rare exception. 4 year contracts have a little bit more flexibility. The Navy is actually in serious need of IT's on ships, so much so that we run Corry Station.
jfraider29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #16
Coppertop

Coppertop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfraider29 View Post
IT's go literally everywhere that there are military members. For us 6 years, our first orders WILL be sea duty, with very rare exception. 4 year contracts have a little bit more flexibility. The Navy is actually in serious need of IT's on ships, so much so that we run Corry Station.
From what I've seen form my time at Corry, this is pretty much on spot. For the six years, because of all the money and time the NAVY has put into you expect a sea duty rotation first. That being said it could be any ship with the exception of a sub, I've heard of everything from carriers to frigates to LHA/LHDs. I've also heard that IT life at sea is generally better than shore, but take that for what its worth.

Theris a possibility of anywhere. There are IT's with SEALS, a good friend of my mine is taking the air crew route. One of the ITs in the most recent class got orders to an admirals personal staff. ITs are like roaches, they're under every navy shoeprint the whole world over.
Coppertop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #17
Rickblaine22

Rickblaine22 is on a distinguished road

I am currently on the base where IT's train. You go everywhere. There is no SET LIST of duty stations. You could be on a ship...you could be on shore command in some office...you could be attached to some admiral's office...you could go anywhere.
Rickblaine22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #18
navymom0725

navymom0725 is on a distinguished road

My daughter has been an IT for more than 5 yrs and has had 3 yrs shore duty at NIOC in Hawaii, she GSA'd to the Horn of Africa for 13 months and now is stationed on a destroyer in San Diego. IT's are stationed all over the world.....sea & shore.
navymom0725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:34 AM   #19
CB

CB is on a distinguished road

Hi I recently joined this forum and I ship out 20130403!
CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #20
cire

cire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
IT's go EVERYWHERE, from shore, to sea, small boats to carriers, small comm stations to the the largest, they even have ITs in squadrons.

How you get to a particular station is more or less luck. I ended up going to NCTAMS PAC in Wahiawa HI right out of boot camp. Every IT class is different, I knew some classes their teacher told the recruiter to send EVERYONE to a ship, our class was based on class ranking.. the #1 person in the class got first pick out of all of the available orders. We had a lot of shore duties, admiral staffs.. but for me, I lucked out. The first half of the school was all computers which I ended up in the top 3. The second half was communications/satellites which I bombed.. and ended up dead last by the end of the school. The guy before me getting orders picked a ship out of Japan.. I went up to choose, and the detailer said "I'm sorry, ran out of orders" so after class I asked him what do I do, he asked me.. where do I want to go? I told him Hawaii or Iceland. He said he will see what he can do. A week later he said, I have orders to Guam, 2 years shore duty. I though, Guam, wtf is that? No thanks. A week later he came back and said, congratulations you are going to Hawaii. and my entire class hated me. lol

Quote:
mack_it_nasty: my boyfriend wouldnt like that gee.
geeMA: the hell? you told me you were single. lol
mack_it_nasty: oh did i...
geeMA: i got trolled
cire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #21
Coppertop

Coppertop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire View Post
IT's go EVERYWHERE, from shore, to sea, small boats to carriers, small comm stations to the the largest, they even have ITs in squadrons.

How you get to a particular station is more or less luck. I ended up going to NCTAMS PAC in Wahiawa HI right out of boot camp. Every IT class is different, I knew some classes their teacher told the recruiter to send EVERYONE to a ship, our class was based on class ranking.. the #1 person in the class got first pick out of all of the available orders. We had a lot of shore duties, admiral staffs.. but for me, I lucked out. The first half of the school was all computers which I ended up in the top 3. The second half was communications/satellites which I bombed.. and ended up dead last by the end of the school. The guy before me getting orders picked a ship out of Japan.. I went up to choose, and the detailer said "I'm sorry, ran out of orders" so after class I asked him what do I do, he asked me.. where do I want to go? I told him Hawaii or Iceland. He said he will see what he can do. A week later he said, I have orders to Guam, 2 years shore duty. I though, Guam, wtf is that? No thanks. A week later he came back and said, congratulations you are going to Hawaii. and my entire class hated me. lol
How'd you end up liking NCTAMS? Current ADP-type IT here, have some buddies who got sent over to the soul sucking NCTAMS LANT and they absolutely hated it. Granted its Norfolk vs Hawa'ii, but how is the actual work environment I wonder?
Coppertop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #22
cire

cire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
How'd you end up liking NCTAMS? Current ADP-type IT here, have some buddies who got sent over to the soul sucking NCTAMS LANT and they absolutely hated it. Granted its Norfolk vs Hawa'ii, but how is the actual work environment I wonder?
I absolutely LOVED it at PAC! There is definitely a difference between west coast and east coast Navy.. If you want laid back Navy, go west coast.. if you want strict, by the book, die hard Navy, go east coast. I was put into Tech Control - N34. IT's could go to JFTOC (command central), Data Center (messaging), Tech Control (troubleshooting/comms), NOC (Network Operations).. I wouldn't have minded the NOC, but definitely got lucky going to TC, I've always been pretty technical and could troubleshoot basically anything. The mentality was laid back, but we got things done.. I mean it's Hawaii.. Plus being a NCTAMS, we oversaw the entire region.. PAC being the entire west coast and far east, LANT being the east coast and Eurcent being Europe. Hawaii was awesome, but you do get island fever eventually.. but going out and enjoying the island, island hopping, etc.. definitely helps. Going to bars and clubs all the time will make the island boring fast.

I probably would have shot myself if I ended up in messaging.

If you are good and know your shit, you will get rewarded. Just watch out for the females because they are typically all about themselves and will not only get all the schools and awards, but will screw you every chance they get. Not all, but most.

We had one guy who retired.. this old school IT1.. he had his retirement ceremony in the main conference room. The CMC and master chief were there, and the other people forced to go watch.. He stood up, gave his little speech, then motioned for this girl to stand up. She went up to the podium, started to talk about the IT1, then pressed a boombox, it started playing.. she started dancing and then began stripping. Once the senior chief there realized what was going on she stopped it. He ended up going to mast, getting temporarily busted to E1 and was put on crap work until he retired. lol he said it was totally worth it though. Within 30 minutes of it happening we got calls from Lant and Eurcent because they heard about what happened.

If you could ever go to PAC, or even one of the smaller comm stations in Hawaii I would highly recommend it. Try to stay away from Guam just because the island is so damn small. It's like Hawaii, but smaller, hotter, less things to do, 35 mph speed limits, and nothing to do.

One night at PAC we were bored in Tech Control.. we had a ship coming in from deployment and going through Hawaii.. so we patch their phone lines up, and we listen in. We hear couples talking, some guy singing to his wife, stuff like that. Then one couple we listen in on, they start fighting on the phone.. so we pull the plug and disconnect them. lol They call each other and start fighting about the other person hanging up on them.. so we disconnect them again lol

We did a lot of routing circuit testing, from 1.2k up to OC trunks. One time I was testing a 1.2k audio circuit.. hook up the monitor to the receieve side, listen.. transmit side, listen.. pretty basic. This one circuit I pull up and listen.. and I get one half of a cell phone conversation.. I put on the receive side, and I hear the other half of the conversation.. so I'm just switching back and forth.. for like half an hour listening lol pretty crazy. Made me realize how unsecure our cell phones really are.

NCTAMS is dead center on the island, there is also Schofield Barracks (Army base) and an Wheeler (Air Force) all in Wahiawa. One time I got on the bus to go somewhere. The next stop 3 Army guys got on and sat around me. They start talking about their day. One guy goes "man, I had to mow the lawn for 8 hours today" another guy goes.. "yeah, I had to paint buildings all day" and the other guy says "I had to sweep sidewalks all day". I said, that sucks... we just hire civilians to do all that. lol

Quote:
mack_it_nasty: my boyfriend wouldnt like that gee.
geeMA: the hell? you told me you were single. lol
mack_it_nasty: oh did i...
geeMA: i got trolled
cire is offline   Reply With Quote