NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 06-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
jonc2006

jonc2006 is on a distinguished road
Default Running

About how much running is done on a daily basis in RTC? I can do about 1 1/2 miles right now and I'm doing it about 4-5 times a week so am I good to go or is 1 1/2 not enough?
jonc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
futureSPOOK32

futureSPOOK32 is on a distinguished road

I think if you keep that up consistently and maybe bump it up to 2 miles a day or even 3 you should be set. Of course I haven't been to RTC either but I run 5 miles on a regular basis. It also depends on what pace you're running it.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

The only run you actually do for distance is the 1.5mi PFA... everything else is either interval training, or a sustained run. Max sustained run was for 20min... distance isn't a factor... you just can't walk.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
nick93

nick93 is on a distinguished road

yeah like haasino said the pfa is the only time you actually have to run the mile and 1/2 in time limit. the first sustained run is 5 min. then it goes to like 8 then to 12 or 15 or something like that and the last one is 20. you can jog it or whatever you want to do. the pfa is all that really matters
nick93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #5
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick93 View Post
yeah like haasino said the pfa is the only time you actually have to run the mile and 1/2 in time limit. the first sustained run is 5 min. then it goes to like 8 then to 12 or 15 or something like that and the last one is 20. you can jog it or whatever you want to do. the pfa is all that really matters
How often are these sustained runs?
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
jonc2006

That's cool. My last couple runs I had been doing about 10-11 minutes total, but today I ran for a little more than 16 without stopping. I ship out September 4th so I still have a bit of time for improvement, I mainly just want to go in an be able to do what they want without feeling like I am going to drop dead.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom_breaker View Post
How often are these sustained runs?
If you're a division yeoman at boot camp, or you just get a chance to look at your hard card (your RTC training record), you'll see the whole PT schedule. You'll go to Freedom Hall two or three times a week, if I remember, and that's when you'll do running, but it won't be every time. Sometimes you'll do sustained run, sometimes shuttle run (run 1 lap, do an exercise, repeat), and sometimes you'll do some other stuff.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
Atom_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
If you're a division yeoman at boot camp, or you just get a chance to look at your hard card (your RTC training record), you'll see the whole PT schedule. You'll go to Freedom Hall two or three times a week, if I remember, and that's when you'll do running, but it won't be every time. Sometimes you'll do sustained run, sometimes shuttle run (run 1 lap, do an exercise, repeat), and sometimes you'll do some other stuff.
Good to know. That's a cool perk for the yeoman.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

The yeoman's job is to know everything that's going on with the division at all times, even moreso than RCPO. They're sometimes called the 4th RDC. That said, it's a CRAP job.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #10
Atom_breaker

I plan on taking the "keep your head down" advise. But even in my recruiting station they have me show all the new deppers how to enter the office and fill out recerts. But on the positive they let me leave the dep meeting first today because I'm "the most squared away future sailor" I have a feeling the RDCS will also sense that and place me in a leadership role. Hopefully I can slide under the radar.

I totally directed this topic adrift. Oops.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #11
jonc2006

One other question, about how long is a typical PT session, and are they a daily sort of thing?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #12
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc2006 View Post
One other question, about how long is a typical PT session, and are they a daily sort of thing?
You'll PT a few times a week, either in-house or at Freedom Hall. In-house (in your compartment) will mean stretching, then a bunch of exercises in place in short intervals that ramp up (10 crunches, 6 push-ups, 12 flutter kicks, 6 wide-grip push-ups, 15 sit-ups, etc.), and then cooldown. Freedom Hall will be much the same, except the exercises will be traveling (cherry pickers, lunges, crossover side steps, and so on). In-house takes about half an hour. Freedom Hall takes longer, since you have to march there and back.

As I've said before, it is not all that challenging to get by. Nobody's going to come scream sweet nothings in your ear for doing exercises wrong, unless you're really spectacularly wrong. So if you want a challenge, do everything with your very best form and don't give yourself breaks in between.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #13
jonc2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
You'll PT a few times a week, either in-house or at Freedom Hall. In-house (in your compartment) will mean stretching, then a bunch of exercises in place in short intervals that ramp up (10 crunches, 6 push-ups, 12 flutter kicks, 6 wide-grip push-ups, 15 sit-ups, etc.), and then cooldown. Freedom Hall will be much the same, except the exercises will be traveling (cherry pickers, lunges, crossover side steps, and so on). In-house takes about half an hour. Freedom Hall takes longer, since you have to march there and back.

As I've said before, it is not all that challenging to get by. Nobody's going to come scream sweet nothings in your ear for doing exercises wrong, unless you're really spectacularly wrong. So if you want a challenge, do everything with your very best form and don't give yourself breaks in between.
That's not too bad. I was worried I would be spending the better part of the day exercising and end up being so sore the next day that I would feel it would be next to impossible to do anything else no matter how bad I wanted to do it.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:07 PM   #14
Auridan
**Active Duty**

In my experience, the cooldown is a big part of not feeling sore the next day. I worked harder than I ever did at home, but I never woke up wishing I had a cane to hobble around with.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:25 AM   #15
jonc2006

One last question - these 20 minute sustained runs, about how many of them are there?
Old 07-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #16
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough

for those of you ladies and gentlemen that have been to RTC, did people ever do extra PT after taps? Watched one of these "what to expect in navy boot camp" videos done by a recent grad and they were talking about doing extra workouts after taps

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
classified9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #17
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

I didn't, but some people who couldn't pass their pushups/situps as they were used to.

The issue is if the OOD comes in you'll get in trouble. I gonna admit though, the gap under the racks is like the perfect height to stick your feet under and practice situps. I wish my current bed was that height.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #18
cousteau

cousteau is on a distinguished road

This is a question for you runners/RTC grads:

What is a good pace and distance that one should be able to do comfortably before going to RTC? Ex: 2 miles in X mins or 3 miles in Y mins... Or just pace would be a great help too. Thanks!
cousteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #19
mike
Banned

mike is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousteau View Post
This is a question for you runners/RTC grads:

What is a good pace and distance that one should be able to do comfortably before going to RTC? Ex: 2 miles in X mins or 3 miles in Y mins... Or just pace would be a great help too. Thanks!
Your long runs you should work up to going at a 10:00 pace easy for 5 + miles easily as a goal. When you start out running don't worry about pace though, time and effort are what's important. If you really want to get technical you could buy a heart rate monitor to make sure that you are not over exerting yourself on your runs. You get better just from building mileage.

I do 12 miles at an 8:50 to 9:00 pace once a week and my 5k time is 19:48 and I'm not even very fast. Speed comes from smart training and a good diet, lots of resources online too.

God bless
mike is offline   Reply With Quote