NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #1
rudy661

rudy661 is on a distinguished road
Default Aspiring AIRR

Currently waiting to get a waiver approved but I have my sights on AIRR. While I'm waiting, I've been training to improve my PST scores. Just wanted to know if there are any current or former Rescue Swimmers on here. I would like to pick your brain a little in regards to the training pipeline. I've done as much research as I possibly could and I just want to be the most prepared as I can possibly be.
rudy661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

I know there were some AIRR Candidates that have come through here... I'm not sure their status currently. I'm a fixed-wing guy, but I can shed a bit of light on the process:

You'll start in an 800 Division at RTC where you'll have daily PT both in and out of the pool... all the RSS guys I knew seemed satisfied with the level of conditioning. In the event you need a flight waiver and end up in THU after graduation, you'll continue daily PT through the DIVEMO program... so don't worry about falling behind physically.

Upon arriving at NACCS, you'll go through the standard Aircrew Candidate School pipeline alongside active, reserve, and FTS AIRC Candidates... as well as the Marines. You can check out the NACCS day-by-day here... but it should be no problem for RSS guys.

After NACCS, you'll go onto Rescue Swimmer School backlog... called "Starboard D" when I was there. Like a more intense DIVEMO, you PT early and often every day... most afternoons ended with a PST, and your score must not regress or you risk a Counseling Chit... too many chits means attrition from the program. Your PST scores while in Starboard D also resulted in your ranking... higher scores classed up faster for RSS.

As far as RSS... I really can't help you there. I know the majority of guys who DOR'd or got dropped were due to either running, or just not feeling confident in the water. You'll also be assigned to either the AWR or AWS rating at the end of RSS.

Following RSS, you'll move across base to NATTC to attend "A" School. AWS' have a simpler and shorter school dealing mostly with standard helo operations. AWR's go through AW(A1) School with the AWO's. Here's what that entails:

Quote:
The AW(A1) "A" School that AWO's and AWR's go through is tough. The first 2/3 of the course focuses on acoustic analysis: it starts with oceanography and how sound propagates through water, then moves into gram analysis and submarine parameters for diesel and nuclear submarines. Then the final 1/3 is focused on non-acoustic radar/ESM: you'll learn basic scan types and how radar can be analyzed... then you'll have a final test where you have to memorize ~50 radar types, between 5-10 numbers associated with them, ships or aircraft that use them, what weapons they carry, the NATO reporting names of said weapons, and the range of said weapon. All said and done, I filled 3 11x17 whiteboards with words and numbers from memory... most of us actually left class with headaches studying for that damn test! Two classes ahead of mine, 15/17 people failed the final test and were rolled back into the class ahead of me. We lost 3 people in my class academically, and 2 of them were later dropped from the rate. If you fail a test, you'll have an Academic Review Board and they'll almost always let you re-test... if you fail the re-test, you'll roll back into the class behind you. If you fail again, you'll most likely be dropped from the rate.

With the exception of Oceanography, all acoustic and non-acoustic material is Secret... you will have class hours, plus an extra 2 hours of night school to study the material, but there is no studying beyond that. It's essentially designed to blast a fire-hose of knowledge at you and see if you can handle it; this is to make sure you have the aptitude to handle what's to come in Fleet Replacement Aircrew training and farther along once you hit your squadron and start your 18 months of upgrader training.

It sounds bad... and it kind of is... but as long as you have the aptitude for this job, and you're determined, your instructors will help you through it.
After "A" School... you'll usually go to SERE in Maine or San Diego, and then on to your Fleet Replacement Squadron in either Jacksonville or San Diego for AWR... or Norfolk for AWS. Just like RSS, I can't provide too much info on what you go through in helo FRS since I come from the P-3 side of the house.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:03 AM   #3
rudy661

Thanks for the the information Haasino. Just a few more questions:
From what I gathered, DIVEMO is a more strict, fitness standard program, so to speak, while at RTC?

Does that go without saying that everyone in an 800 division goes through DIVEMO? I read Craig's thread http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2327 regarding daily life for an 800 division and wondered if that was the same thing as DIVEMO (as far as PT goes).

Lastly, my latest PRT scores are as follows (self-administered):
09:43 1.5 mile run
06:44 500-yd swim (freestyle)
78 pushups
87 Curl-ups
19 pull-ups

I fall within the 20-24 age standards and I compare myself to the categories I fall in but I can't help but to feel curious as to what other recruits/deppers are getting on their scores, just to see how I measure up. I'm always looking to improve and I want to be able to score maximum amount of points in each category. Just wanted to know if anybody had a few pointers on how to get the most out of their PRT training when it comes to boosting their numbers.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy661 View Post
Thanks for the the information Haasino. Just a few more questions:
From what I gathered, DIVEMO is a more strict, fitness standard program, so to speak, while at RTC?

Does that go without saying that everyone in an 800 division goes through DIVEMO? I read Craig's thread http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2327 regarding daily life for an 800 division and wondered if that was the same thing as DIVEMO (as far as PT goes).

Lastly, my latest PRT scores are as follows (self-administered):
09:43 1.5 mile run
06:44 500-yd swim (freestyle)
78 pushups
87 Curl-ups
19 pull-ups

I fall within the 20-24 age standards and I compare myself to the categories I fall in but I can't help but to feel curious as to what other recruits/deppers are getting on their scores, just to see how I measure up. I'm always looking to improve and I want to be able to score maximum amount of points in each category. Just wanted to know if anybody had a few pointers on how to get the most out of their PRT training when it comes to boosting their numbers.
Yes, divemo is the program you will go through while at RTC. Everyone who is in an 800 division will go through it as well. 800 divisions are usually split, with SO and SB candidates in one division and ND, EOD, and AIRR candidates in another. The workouts and dive motivators are different depending on what type of division you are in. There are some whose PST numbers will get worse, better, or stay the same while at RTC, it's all about how much you push and challenge yourself.

Your numbers seem to be in a good spot right now, of course keep working and pushing. Have you taken a PST yet?
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:45 AM   #5
rudy661

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to take a PST yet because I'm not even in DEP yet. I'm waiting on a waiver to hopefully be approved before I am able to go to MEPS for my physical and contract. Only been able to take the ASVAB and get a medical waiver approved so far.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #6
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Something to keep in mind (Not to scare you)... if you need a waiver to join DEP, you're almost guaranteed to need that same waiver routed through NOMI for your flight clearance. Since the Navy is the Navy and often doesn't do things in a logical manner, you're flight waiver is probably not going to be submitted until halfway through RTC... which means you're probably going to be spending some time in the Temporary Housing Unit (THU) on Great Lakes after graduation. It's become such a standard that we refer to it as the "Pensacola Reserve Fleet". When I went there back in 2012, THU for Aircrew meant 4-6 months on hold, working admin jobs at RTC and assisting/watching RDC's. Lately, I've heard the wait is much shorter... like 1 week to a month if you don't need additional testing.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #7
rudy661

With that being said, if my waiver gets approved and I'm in DEP, then there shouldn't be a problem for the same waiver to get approved through NOMI, correct? I've already accepted the fact that things take their time more than I'd like, but if it takes more time, I guess more time to train right? haha. That's what I've taken out of this whole enlistment process up to this point, which I guess isn't so bad in the scheme of all things (2 waiting months so far).
Old 02-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #8
Haasino
**Active Duty**

It depends on what the waiver is for... but generally, yes, it'll get approved. Some things are Navy-accepted, but not flight status accepted though.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:01 PM   #9
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

We had a handful of AIRR guys stay behind after graduation for a few months, all but one eventually had their waivers approved, the one that didn't ask to be separated and he was.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #10
rudy661

It's a waiver for a "wet reckless" I got in July 2013 (lesser charge than a DUI in my state) but it still counts as a misdemeanor. I've been looking into anything that could disqualify me from an aircrew rate when it comes to waivers in that area and all I've seen that comes close are misdemeanors involving drugs and/or marijuana although it even says that some cases are taken case by case when it comes to marijuana, which is not my case anyways.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:07 PM   #11
Haasino
**Active Duty**

You'll probably need a Special Programs waiver through the CO of MEPS... but that's non-medical so once you join, you'll be fine. THU and NOMI waivers are for medical issues, even if waived by BUMED at MEPS.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:13 PM   #12
rudy661

So speaking of medical waivers, then my medical waiver for my right femur fracture back in 1995, which was approved, would have to be approved again through NOMI?
Old 02-04-2015, 01:23 PM   #13
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Most likely, yes.