NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTT = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN TECHNICAL

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-04-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
Bodacious

Bodacious is on a distinguished road
Default Ctt questions

I'm interested in joining as a ctt and it just so happens my girlfriends brother was also a ctt. I've heard things from him that are conflicting to what I've gathered here and in other places as well.

My two questions are at what point as a ctt can you volunteer for aircrew? I've heard at a school but I've also heard some say it's possible to get it in your contract.
Secondly from my reading it seems that ctt aircrewmen are only stationed in Washington, however *Admin edit: That is not something we're going to discuss here.*

If anybody has any insight on this I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you

Last edited by FlyNavy; 04-04-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Bodacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
I'm interested in joining as a ctt and it just so happens my girlfriends brother was also a ctt. I've heard things from him that are conflicting to what I've gathered here and in other places as well.

My two questions are at what point as a ctt can you volunteer for aircrew? I've heard at a school but I've also heard some say it's possible to get it in your contract.
Welcome and glad you're looking into our rate! I'm both a CTT and a current Aircrewman. I've also been out in the fleet with several years onboard a ship and a few on shore, so I've seen quite a bit of what T-bird world has to offer. It's a fantastic job and one that offers a level of opportunity that not many others can.

You can volunteer to come to our shop in A-school if you've got an outstanding package. You would need extremely strong academics in A-school as well as great PRT scores. As a shop, we hand pick everyone coming to us since we're such a niche group. It's extremely fast paced and you're gonna be around the top maybe 10% of guys doing this job out in the field. But, we're always open to motivated candidates. The reason we prefer guys with a tour already under their belts though is because being a CTT is challenging as it is; coming here is like trying to drink from a fire hose even for experienced folks. We do have a few first tour guys, but they were very high speed as it is before they got here (one of our junior guys has a pair of masters degrees). I say that because if you're thinking about coming here, I just want you to have a good idea of the level at which we're operating; it's a serious commitment.

A little caveat I want to throw in here however is that flying CT's are going to be changing dramatically within the next few years. The EP-3E's and P-3's will be going the way of the boneyard in favor of the new MQ-4C Triton. Since obviously that's an unmanned system, the amount of flying CT's is going to be dropping quite a bit. There will still be opportunities down the road as other capabilities come online and threats/needs change around the world, but in the mean time a lot of those numbers are going to be fluctuating.

Quote:
Secondly from my reading it seems that ctt aircrewmen are only stationed in Washington, however...
*Admin edit: That is not something we're going to discuss here.*

Quote:
If anybody has any insight on this I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you
Let me know if you've got follow on questions. I'm available here, via private message, or you can contact me directly if the need arises!

/r
CTT1
Old 04-04-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
Bodacious

Thank you for the information and clearly those things up for me it is much appreciated.
From my understanding the p-8 will also be replacing the p-3 in the coming years. Would the p-8 be an aircraft a ctt would fly in?
Old 04-05-2017, 08:58 AM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thank you for the information and clearly those things up for me it is much appreciated.
From my understanding the p-8 will also be replacing the p-3 in the coming years. Would the p-8 be an aircraft a ctt would fly in?
Down the line there are going to be certain opportunities to go flying still, and that may include the P-8. But it's not something that's very fleshed out right now since the platform is still very new.

I also went ahead and spoke with some of our senior folks about getting your package in at A-school for aircrew. A lot of it will come down to timing; we want to make sure you'll have enough time to do the training pipeline and still have time to be a fully qualified and productive member here before we sundown. When you get a date for when you're shipping for boot and getting to A-school, let me know and we can talk further. If all that matches up ok, it's then on you to have very strong academics at A-school and great PRT scores.

If everything works out and you're down at Corry Station at the right time, let me know and I can get you in touch with the right people to get your package put together.

/r
CTT1
Old 04-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #5
Bodacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
Down the line there are going to be certain opportunities to go flying still, and that may include the P-8. But it's not something that's very fleshed out right now since the platform is still very new.

I also went ahead and spoke with some of our senior folks about getting your package in at A-school for aircrew. A lot of it will come down to timing; we want to make sure you'll have enough time to do the training pipeline and still have time to be a fully qualified and productive member here before we sundown. When you get a date for when you're shipping for boot and getting to A-school, let me know and we can talk further. If all that matches up ok, it's then on you to have very strong academics at A-school and great PRT scores.

If everything works out and you're down at Corry Station at the right time, let me know and I can get you in touch with the right people to get your package put together.

/r
CTT1

Will do. Thank you for all your help. I'll be in touch when I receive my ship date.