NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Professional Apprenticeship Career Track Program (PACT) > PACT Seaman (SN)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
Mavyboy

Mavyboy will become famous soon enough
Question PACT Seamen To GM, MA?

Hello all, this is my first post and I will try and keep this short and sweet. I DEP'd in yesterday as a PACT SN and am scheduled to leave in April of 2015. As my story is very unique to myself I will try and explain it as best I can.
I graduated high school 3 years ago in 2011. Shortly after graduation, in November of the same year I was ticketed with Drug Paraphernalia (Spice/K2/Incense related).

Last year, in November of 2013 I took the ASVAB test to see where I stand among my peers and if I could even enlist. To my surprise I scored an 85.

Now I understood the whole time in my recruiting process that my paraphernalia ticket would severely limit my opportunity in finding a Rate in the Navy that I wanted, and I accepted that. When I went to MEPS yesterday due to my ticket I had a small list of jobs, and ultimately decided on PACT SN in the hopes that I would be able to prove myself and by my merits, NOT my distant past background, that I could eventually strike for a job that I dearly want.

Here is my question (I apologize for the short novel I just typed.)
Even though I was ticketed for Drug Paraphernalia, will (upon completing boot camp and doing my time in rate 9-18 months from my understanding) I be able to strike for the GM or even MA rate?

Thank you very much and I am very proud to say that regardless I am a Future Sailor!
Mavyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavyboy View Post
Here is my question (I apologize for the short novel I just typed.)
Even though I was ticketed for Drug Paraphernalia, will (upon completing boot camp and doing my time in rate 9-18 months from my understanding) I be able to strike for the GM or even MA rate?

Thank you very much and I am very proud to say that regardless I am a Future Sailor!
MA is 99% likely to be a no-go.

GM though would be doable provided there aren't any domestic violence issues on record. But since it sounds like that isn't an issue, I don't see why you couldn't get a GM spot! I know plenty of PACT guys that went into GM.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #3
Mavyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
MA is 99% likely to be a no-go.

GM though would be doable provided there aren't any domestic violence issues on record. But since it sounds like that isn't an issue, I don't see why you couldn't get a GM spot! I know plenty of PACT guys that went into GM.

/r
CTT1
That is a relief! There are also no Domestic Violence issues, just the paraphernalia, hell I haven't even been given a traffic ticket! GM is my first choice with MA being a second. Thank you for the reassurance, so to speak.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavyboy View Post
That is a relief! There are also no Domestic Violence issues, just the paraphernalia, hell I haven't even been given a traffic ticket! GM is my first choice with MA being a second. Thank you for the reassurance, so to speak.
GM is totally doable.

Once you get to the ship, get all of your basic qualifications out of the way. Once that's done, spend your off time getting QUALIFIED with the GM's doing GM work. They'll love getting an extra hand to help out and getting those quals will not only get you working in their field, it will also prep you to take the GM advancement exam that you'll need to take to cross into their rate.

Nobody is going to hand it to you; you've got to go get qualed on your own. But I have a feeling you already know that =] So you should be good to go.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
Mavyboy

Excellent! That is what I needed to hear to get me totally on-board this whole 'undesignated' thing. Thank you very much CTT1(SW)Griffin!
Old 02-22-2015, 09:28 PM   #6
Jake

Jake is on a distinguished road

When do you leave? im also in pact seaman i leave the 9th
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote