NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 10-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #1
rouhanashi

rouhanashi is on a distinguished road
Default Not sure about NF anymore?

Hello! I'm a high school senior who enlisted in late June. I auto qualified for NF, and my recruiter didn't really discuss any of the other jobs I was interested in and assumed since I didn't shoot it down, I'd go nuke. I felt a little unsure about my rating, and I even reclassed at MEPS and was AW for a week or two until my nuke contract came in and I reclassed again.
So now, 4 months into my DEP period, I'm second guessing myself. I'm definitely open to being a nuke, I see all the great opportunities regarding money and education. However, the Navy is something I want to do as a career, 20+ years hopefully. My dad was EN 26ish years in the Navy, and I want to do the same. I loved the way I grew up.
I have a few questions before I decide to sit down and talk to my recruiter about changing my rating, or happily sticking with NF. I'm hoping this is just the natural second-guessing phase, y'know?

1) Are nukes treated any differently out in the fleet?
I want to work hard and have adventures and travel, not be treated like a special case because I'm a nuke.
2) Some people say they hate their time in the fleet as a nuke. Why is that?
I understand some people from every corner of the military will hate their time in. Is the number of dissenters from NF higher, or am I just noticing it more because that's what I'm going into?
3) What does NF look/feel like long term?
And could I change my rating if I didn't like it after the initial six years?

Thank ya'll for taking the time to read this!
rouhanashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
Kgard12

Kgard12 will become famous soon enough

Hi! Fellow DEP'per here. I didn't get a Nuke contract, but my recruiter is a Nuke and told me a lot about it, the one question I can answer is that he told me you can't re-class out of Nuke after you have been trained. They spend a LOT of money putting you through that training.
Kgard12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to be a lifer I would not go Nuke. Nukes are beaten like dogs through training and pumped with a lot of elitist stuff about the program to attempt to rationalize the suck. The reactor doesn't have an off switch so someone has to keep an eye on it, even in port. Nukes often don't get to go on a port call if they do it's rather short. Most people deal with it to get out of the Navy and get a civie job with great pay. I'd consider putting in a DAR to switch rates if you are already having doubts. So that's my usual soapbox speech.

Answering your questions.

1. Command wise nukes don't get treated differently. However I've seen stuff on the forums around the web about other sailors disliking Nukes because they're nukes. This is largely dependent on individual experience so I don't put much stock in it but it is out there. Traveling you will do, but seeing the places you travel to is luck.

2. There is a high number of unhappy nukes on the web but not so many unhappy MAs or HMs so I think there is a lot to dislike within the program. I have speculations on why that is but I won't get into it.

3. It's hard to find long timers in the NF so I can't share information there. My research shows that once a Nuke always a nuke if you make it through training the only way out is a body bag or discharge.

I tried to be brief I can expand on some stuff if asked specifically. I'm not a nuke just had a lot of time to data mine.
BloodyPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:55 AM   #4
rouhanashi

rouhanashi is on a distinguished road

Hmmm, I thought so. :/ every time I bring up changing my rating, my recruiter doesn't take me seriously. He just says to stick it through for the money and change my rating later, buuuut... I don't think he knows I can't. I'll try and talk to him again, but thank you guys!
One last question though. If I do ask to submit a DAR, how does that work? I still have nine months left in my DEP period, and my recruiter said I would be given a rating based on what opens up when DEPers leave. Would I be given a choice in rating?
rouhanashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

From what I understand you fill out the form and your recruiter submits it to someone higher up than them. Then your DAR goes in a stack. Whoever handles them gets word when someone drops out of dep or changes their contract so they are no longer shipping at that time/ with that rate. That person picks some DARs off the top of the stack and offers it to the recruiter responsible for that Depper. Recruiters call those Deppers and get a yes or no on whether the deppers wants that contract. First recruiter to call back with a yes gets the contract. If you say no to the rate/date you get put at the bottom of the stack. Every month the person handling DARs tosses all of the previous months DARs so it is imperative that you make sure your recruiter resubmits your DAR every month. Getting a DAR really depends on how many flakes there are in your general region(I guess) and how open you are to other rates. Good luck man.

Also I don't really recommend doing this but if you get down to the last few weeks with no DAR and you are still having doubts, you can walk away. Your recruiter will be pissed but until you sign the final contract before you leave MEPs on your ship date you don't have a legal obligation to the Navy.
BloodyPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

OK,,, First let me ask you if you REALLY love mathematical thinking...nukes are chosen as they have a high aptitude for that. The training time is VERY stressful if you don't do well in the calculations..many get dropped from nuke in training as it is very intense. My son was a nuke....he loved his job as an MM nuke, just not the atmosphere, in fact that he is now a civilian he basically does the same job, just not as a nuke. He now works for a large power company and at age 27 has bought his first house...he lives in Texas.
As for port calls, YES, nukes do get to go on port calls just like everyone else on the ship, however the entire department cant leave all together. They rotate out so some are still there to make sure the reactors are working properly.
I suggest you read all the posts in the nuke section, I have posted many there about my son and what he went through..it wasn't pleasant by any stretch of the imagination. Yes my son got out with a full honorable discharge, but he did have issues do to his job. Thankfully since he has been out he is back to his normal self and very happy, but it took well over a year for him to come back normal. My son like many nukes (5 others on his ship in his department had the same issues within 3 months) attempted suicide twice while active duty.
Remember this is YOUR life not your recruiters...if you cant see doing this sort of job for 6 years and in your case as a career...change now while you still can.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote