NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #11
tasteytots

tasteytots is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
You would get frocked to PO3 after A-school.

And no you shouldn't be hitting PO2/E5 before you're in the fleet, and that's not a bad thing. A Second Class Petty Officer is expected to be a technical expert in their job, starting to take on some more heavy responsibilities in the shop, and start looking to their 1st class to take some of those duties as well.

If you were to come to the shop as a PO2, with no experience, you would fail immediately and very publically. Not to say you aren't a hard worker or anything, but nothing can replicate the experience of a seasoned Petty Officer. Not having the proper training and background and then expecting you to perform at that level just sets you up for failure.

Rank is much more than just a pay grade in the Navy. I know some other branches don't quite look at it like that, but if you're wearing that rank on your collar then you better be performing to those standards. Getting up to those standards requires the experience you get from working your way up. You would also be required to lead the junior guys in the shop; how could you do that if that E3 has several years in that job and you're just showing up? You really gonna tell that guy how he needs to be doing his job? haha

Just some food for thought ^_^

/r
CTT1
This is great to hear. Specially like you said some other branches don't quite look at it like that. Its nice knowing that is what it takes to get to the next level. Your information is much appreciated and I enjoy the ideals and details you put in to answering all my questions!!! So I thank you for your food for thought that you continue to share!! Being older as well I am expecting to have leads/LPOs/ Officers well under my age, but have the experience so I am excited to learn from them and get where they are and have been.
tasteytots is offline   Reply With Quote