NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 10-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
gman022601

gman022601 is on a distinguished road
Default Boot camp phone policy

I read a thread on here from a while back regarding the new phone policy at basic. The below thread was locked, but I am curious if anyone has recently completed basic and the information listed in the thread is correct.

http://www.navydep.com/forums/showth...t=phone+policy

To save time it suggests that you can make 1 phone call each week if you choose to.
gman022601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #2
FinnTheHuman

FinnTheHuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman022601 View Post
I read a thread on here from a while back regarding the new phone policy at basic. The below thread was locked, but I am curious if anyone has recently completed basic and the information listed in the thread is correct.

To save time it suggests that you can make 1 phone call each week if you choose to.
I'm interested in a reply about this as-well. I was aware of the "arrival" call and then calls if you needed information to provide an investigator. First I've heard of once a week though.
FinnTheHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Generally you will get the "I arrived" call..in many cases it is up to your RDC if you get more..some are earned. There is no real "policy" on how many calls you MIGHT get to make.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Soccer_cat

Soccer_cat is on a distinguished road

Graduated 6 weeks ago. We got 4 I think and got to go to rookie heaven a few days before grad. Definitely not one every week. After week three or so, we didn't get our next one til after battle stations. Mail is like Christmas!
Soccer_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
gman022601

gman022601 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer_cat View Post
Graduated 6 weeks ago. We got 4 I think and got to go to rookie heaven a few days before grad. Definitely not one every week. After week three or so, we didn't get our next one til after battle stations. Mail is like Christmas!
Good to know, thanks for the info. Looks like I will be there on Christmas, hopefully I'll get mail on Christmas to make it even more Christmas-ie.
gman022601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Good to know, thanks for the info. Looks like I will be there on Christmas, hopefully I'll get mail on Christmas to make it even more Christmas-ie.
You might call me a "daring mom"...my son was at boot during the holidays...I asked him the offical name of one of his RDC's..what I did was send a big package addresed to the RDC with over 100 candy canes, and blank Christmas cards...with a note in it asking to please if possible to give the recruits a candy cane and anyone who wished to send a Christmas card home to hand them out...It worked...my son sent me one of the cards...and I found out they wer given candy canes on Chritmas morning! Not sure if that would work now or not...as this was 8 years ago!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
John213AV

John213AV is on a distinguished road

Graduated 2 days ago. Your guaranteed 3 phone calls. The moment u arrive you have 2 minutes to call home using your personal cell or someone else's. then you get 2 more guaranteed calls. One like week 3 then the I'm a sailor call after battle stations. If you go Ricky heaven you will most likely get access to phones again but that's not guaranteed. We went Ricky heaven two times and got phones twice when we went. Those calls were like 45-60 minutes long as other divisions come in after you at their set times.
John213AV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #8
Diesirae27

Diesirae27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

My little sister is at BC now. She was able to call twice the first week and once each week after. She described phone calls as a privilege. The better your division is overall the more privileges earned. She also earned a leadership role scored her more time per call.
Diesirae27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:05 AM   #9
Jazzy

Jazzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John213AV View Post
Graduated 2 days ago. Your guaranteed 3 phone calls. The moment u arrive you have 2 minutes to call home using your personal cell or someone else's. then you get 2 more guaranteed calls. One like week 3 then the I'm a sailor call after battle stations. If you go Ricky heaven you will most likely get access to phones again but that's not guaranteed. We went Ricky heaven two times and got phones twice when we went. Those calls were like 45-60 minutes long as other divisions come in after you at their set times.
What is Ricky or rookie heaven? It's only week 2 and I received a call from my bf yesterday. Was surprised wasn't expecting one until week 3.
Jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #10
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Ricky (slang for recruit) heaven is a place where they can relax some. There are arcade type games and phones there

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
Jazzy

Jazzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
Ricky (slang for recruit) heaven is a place where they can relax some. There are arcade type games and phones there
Wow that's cool. Didn't know they even got a break. They deserve it after all the hard work.
Jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
John213AV

John213AV is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
Wow that's cool. Didn't know they even got a break. They deserve it after all the hard work.

You earn Ricky Heaven. Usually you will only get to go during your LAST week of bootcamp...so week 7. Why? Cause all your training is done and you aren't doing jack all week except for picking up your pictures, and waxing floors lol.

So they usually take you to ricky heaven once or twice. Theres a taco bell/pizza hutt there, subway, and an arcade with about 8 pool tables and all types of fun arcade games..not to mention its the first time you get to have CAFFEINE and you can buy all the monster energy drinks you want lol. I had FOUR MONSTERS the first time I was at Ricky Heaven, it was freaking crazy lol.

But they do also have phone banks, and usually Ricky heaven trip is like 16-2000. So you make phone calls from 16-1700, then get to go play arcade and eat food.

Some divisions may get to make phone calls every week. It depends on the RDC. They may bring them to the NEX Each week ( Navy Exchange ) where the phones are and food and supplies like soap and stuff. Ours did not, we had set visits to the NEX and Ricky Heaven was just a plus at the end. The phones, NEX and Ricky Heaven are in the same building, just different areas.
John213AV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
delucabv23

delucabv23 is on a distinguished road

They STILL call them Ricky Recruits? haha They've been using that since my dad was in bootcamp in 1985 haha cool