NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-03-2018, 10:39 PM   #1
wildermind312

wildermind312 is on a distinguished road
Default Some questions

Hey guys, I just have some general questions about boot camp. I've tried my best to look for answers before this, but I haven't had much luck, so I'm hoping that someone could help me out

1. When/how will you get your cell phone, laptop, and other electronics back? I know you have to mail your phone back, but I don't know how you could get it back when you go off to A school. What's the policy for phones in A school?

2. I've seen a lot of things about the "peanut butter shot". Is it really as bad as everyone says it is? I don't mind shots that much, but this one sounds pretty bad

3. What is considered a "religious medallion" that you can wear while at boot camp?

4. Do they give you stationary to write letters? What is the process of sending/receiving letters?

5. Do they give you any pills you have to take at MEPS?

6. When do you take the ASVAB?

Thanks in advance guys! I'm sorry if these questions have been answered before
wildermind312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:09 PM   #2
Navylogk

Navylogk is on a distinguished road

So these are a few good questions.
1. You will ship off all your electronics back home. Dont bring anything more than your cell. Because you will pay to ship and its based on the weight of your box.(side note, dont ship your important documents back home, ie birth cert, marriage lic, drivers lic) Once you graduate, and go off to your respective A-school, you can have them shipped to you. You will have an address. My wife met me at O'hare amd passed me my cell for my trip to Pensacola. A school they allow cells.

2. Dont worry for a second about any shots. Every Sailor before you has made it out alive.

3. Your religious medallion, it is ultimatly up to your divisional RDCs on what they will allow. I think it cant be larger than a dogtag.

4. You will get stationary and you can write letters. I wrote every night. After Taps, so it was on my own time. You stay very busy during the day. And on Sunday you have "holiday routine" which is a couple free hours to do what you need, ie polish boots, iron, write, study. Once that time was done that was our weekly shipment of outgoing mail. Incoming was almost daily. Oncw your family gets your graduation letter they will have your address.

5. I didnt take any meds at MEPS. but i cant speak for everyone

6.ASVAB was one of the first things i did after i met with my recruiter. Do well on this, your score determines your jobs you can choose from.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Re: #5, if you have to take a prescription medication daily, like birth control for females.( I know a few females that preferred to have an IUD instead of taking pills to remember) you would need to bring a doctors prescription for the doctors at boot to fill there, bring just what you need to start with...as for any other meds, my guess is it may depend on what it is for...if you need meds daily, you may not qualify for the military at all. Best to ask your recruiter, there are numerous medical conditions that disqualify someone from the military as it may make the person not deployable.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
wildermind312

wildermind312 is on a distinguished road

Thank you guys so much!
wildermind312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:22 PM   #5
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

Great questions and you got some great answers. The cellphone thing was a concern of mine (I have a wife and kids). My wife met me at the airport (at 0300 mind you) and gave me my cellphone before I, like Navylogk, shipped off to Pensacola. That’s really the best route if you’re not going across the street to GL a school. If you’re going across the street then you’ll get your phone right after graduation and you’re good to go.
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote