NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
nkyle715

nkyle715 is on a distinguished road
Default Q's about Boot Camp PT

Hey everyone, sorry if this has been addressed in an earlier post, I tried looking around for something similar. I have an EOD contract and from what I've learned I'll be in an 800 Div? With that, I know that they do more PT than other Div HOWEVER (honestly, not trying to come off as cocky or anything) I heard that the PT really isn't all that great. I work out practically every day twice a day and I'm worried I'll get out of shape in Boot Camp... sounds silly right? I'm pretty sure I do two PSTs during boot camp. But I'm more concerned with the EOD prep course right after boot camp. So mainly what I'd like to know is how much we PT, and also are there any times where I can squeeze my own PT in? Thanks so much in advance.
nkyle715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
BubbaGumps64

BubbaGumps64 is on a distinguished road

I believe that PT takes place everyday except Sundays. This is what I was told but I may be wrong.
BubbaGumps64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
Zachdaniel

Zachdaniel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkyle715 View Post
Hey everyone, sorry if this has been addressed in an earlier post, I tried looking around for something similar. I have an EOD contract and from what I've learned I'll be in an 800 Div? With that, I know that they do more PT than other Div HOWEVER (honestly, not trying to come off as cocky or anything) I heard that the PT really isn't all that great. I work out practically every day twice a day and I'm worried I'll get out of shape in Boot Camp... sounds silly right? I'm pretty sure I do two PSTs during boot camp. But I'm more concerned with the EOD prep course right after boot camp. So mainly what I'd like to know is how much we PT, and also are there any times where I can squeeze my own PT in? Thanks so much in advance.
When I was looking into going EOD I spoke with a guy who said the 800div will hold you guys to a high standard for PT it may not be like hardcore workouts that you are currently doing.. the prep course from my understanding is to get you ready for EOD school so they will help build you back up/ improve your phsical fitness level to give you a better change in EOD school.. Its all mental though if you want it bad enough and are will to push through the pain you'll make it.. Also try talking to your EOD mentor and see if he can get you some info or check FB for an EOD group I did this with my current Rate and I got some good info I couldnt find or get from anyone else..

Last edited by Zachdaniel; 03-13-2014 at 08:41 PM. Reason: adding additional info
Zachdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

I was in an 800 div when I went through. You will have dive mo pt very early 4-5 days a week. It's good, a lot of pool time and a descent amount of running, but honestly not as much as is needed. If you put out and sneak in some extra pt whenever you can you should maintain. My pst numbers stayed about the same through boot camp. Your first pst will probably be the worst evaluate it is right after p days and you are tired and haven't worked out in about a week. You should be fine when you get to prep, they know you just came from boot camp and they build you back up. Bootcamp sucks, it's not hard but it sucks. Prep is fun, enjoy it and put out. Good luck.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
CIWS Recruiter

CIWS Recruiter is on a distinguished road

I'm a recruiter, so I know a bit about it. The reason why you'll be in an 800 series division is because yes, you will be held to a much higher standard in regards to PT than normal Navy recruits. You'll be in a division of other EOD, SEAL, SWCC, DIVER, and AIRR candidates, and only them, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting out of shape. You may loose some muscle mass if that's what you're talking about, because the training is going to focus more on cardio, strength, endurance and flexibility. Not how you look in a mirror. But I wouldn't call it weak. You'll have 2 workout sessions per day (Mon-Sat, Sundays off) and one of those will most likely be in the water.

Believe me, they're not going to give you a pansy workout to set you up for failure in your prep class. Just the opposite in fact. And as it stands about 10% of the 800 series recruits still lose their contracts because they fail their PST at bootcamp. So I wouldn't be worried if I were you.
CIWS Recruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureND View Post
I was in an 800 div when I went through. You will have dive mo pt very early 4-5 days a week. It's good, a lot of pool time and a descent amount of running, but honestly not as much as is needed. If you put out and sneak in some extra pt whenever you can you should maintain. My pst numbers stayed about the same through boot camp. Your first pst will probably be the worst evaluate it is right after p days and you are tired and haven't worked out in about a week. You should be fine when you get to prep, they know you just came from boot camp and they build you back up. Bootcamp sucks, it's not hard but it sucks. Prep is fun, enjoy it and put out. Good luck.
I will have to agree with this. I work with a few BUDs drops that got injured during Hell Week. Anyways they both said boot camp actually hurt them because the PT isn't hard core. Then you go into prep and they do 5 to 10 mile runs immediately. From what they both said they wished they ran more in boot.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

The AIRR guys I know who went through in 800 divisions would run laps around their compartment after taps. I wouldn't recommend it until you get the layout of things though... don't wanna have a rover walk in and catch you!

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote