NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 10-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
AnnaGB

AnnaGB is on a distinguished road
Default Wisdom Teeth

I've kind of been freaking out lately about my wisdom teeth. I wanted to get them taken out before I leave but my recruiter strongly suggested that I didn't because if there are any complications after the surgery it could push back my ship date. I've heard that sometimes they take them out at boot camp... Which quite frankly scares me... like a lot. I am very afraid of dentists and always take very good care of my teeth because of it. None of them have emerged yet. One is just barely, and I mean barely starting to.

I had an oral surgeon consult like a year and a half ago to see how immediate the need was for me to have them removed and he didn't seem to think they were an immediate issue. One of them is impacted, he said it will never be able to come in on its own... Should be removed eventually though.

Enough rambling about my teeth, my question is this: do they remove wisdom teeth that haven't emerged yet? If they do, do they put you to sleep? I seriously have crazy anxiety about oral surgery. The idea of being awake while they cut up my gums freaks me out. Having teeth taken out at all scares me. Bleh.
AnnaGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
Tracy

Tracy is on a distinguished road

From what I understand, they almost always take them out at bootcamp so that they're done and won't cause a problem while out on deployment or something. I was worried about it myself for my son. If they had to be done, I wanted it done here at home, but found out he has none...no worries there
Old 10-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
warehimer33

warehimer33 is on a distinguished road

It'd be much better to get them out at RTC. They put you asleep there. There's a chance that the oral surgeon you go to in the civilian world wouldn't put you asleep. And those numbing shots don't really work, trust me, I had my bottoms out awake and the shots weren't working. Not pleasant. I hate that I'm probably going to have my tops out at RTC but I am all for it because they put you asleep and you'll be SIQ(Sick In Quarters) for like 2-3 days with pain meds and really only have to get out of your rack to like eat and hygiene and stuff. So yeah, you should WANT them to take them out in RTC. The pain after isn't too bad, you'll get pain pills that help immensely. I was playing trumpet like 4 days after mine were out... Not too bad.

"All the waste in a year from a nuclear power plant can be stored under a desk." --Ronald Reagan
warehimer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by warehimer33 View Post
It'd be much better to get them out at RTC. They put you asleep there. There's a chance that the oral surgeon you go to in the civilian world wouldn't put you asleep. And those numbing shots don't really work, trust me, I had my bottoms out awake and the shots weren't working. Not pleasant. I hate that I'm probably going to have my tops out at RTC but I am all for it because they put you asleep and you'll be SIQ(Sick In Quarters) for like 2-3 days with pain meds and really only have to get out of your rack to like eat and hygiene and stuff. So yeah, you should WANT them to take them out in RTC. The pain after isn't too bad, you'll get pain pills that help immensely. I was playing trumpet like 4 days after mine were out... Not too bad.
They won't necessarily put you asleep to take out your wisdom teeth... I actually think it's relatively uncommon.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
warehimer33

warehimer33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
They won't necessarily put you asleep to take out your wisdom teeth... I actually think it's relatively uncommon.
Well I'm pretty sure they'll give us gas. I did it with just the Novocaine shots and it was hell. I heard someone that recently went through RTC said it wasn't bad. But I haven't actually been to RTC myself so I was just telling them what I know

"All the waste in a year from a nuclear power plant can be stored under a desk." --Ronald Reagan
warehimer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

From what my son and his friend told me..no, they will not put you to sleep...as far as gas...they didnt know, but doubted it.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote