NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Professional Apprenticeship Career Track Program (PACT) > PACT Seaman (SN)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-27-2015, 07:14 AM   #1
heinz57

heinz57 is on a distinguished road
Default PACT-SN Questions

I got DEPped in on Thursday of last week and was given the rating of PACT-SN. It was the only rating available and I am more focused on joining the Navy entirely than being concerned about the rating I get.

HOWEVER, I still would much rather have an actual rating rather than undesignated.

I don't ship until December 15th so I am going to put in a DAR today with my recruiter.

But, can anyone shed some light on a couple things for me;

1. Realistically, do DARs get approved? Do I have a better chance since I am waiting until December

2. Would they call me and say random jobs are opening up or do I make a list of some I would take

3. Someone told me that would mean that I would have to leave for boot that same week they offer me a different job and approve my DAR. Is that true?

I am a little confused and figured I would come here because even the classifier at MEPs lied to me. He told me with PACT-SN, you MUST get a rating and leave for A-School within 6 months of your first command. He said I can not legally remain undesignated for longer than 6 months..

Need some insight! Thanks!
heinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz57 View Post
I got DEPped in on Thursday of last week and was given the rating of PACT-SN. It was the only rating available and I am more focused on joining the Navy entirely than being concerned about the rating I get.

HOWEVER, I still would much rather have an actual rating rather than undesignated.

I don't ship until December 15th so I am going to put in a DAR today with my recruiter.

But, can anyone shed some light on a couple things for me;

1. Realistically, do DARs get approved? Do I have a better chance since I am waiting until December
Really this just depends on your specific qualifications (ASVAB) and the manning levels of the fleet. If you submit a request for just anything, there is a chance something could shake loose. But again, DAR's are just a request. So there's no promise anything is gonna change outside of what you signed your name for.

Quote:
2. Would they call me and say random jobs are opening up or do I make a list of some I would take
If your recruiter gets a call that something's open then he'll call you and ask if you want it.

Quote:
3. Someone told me that would mean that I would have to leave for boot that same week they offer me a different job and approve my DAR. Is that true?
That's not true. Basically when you go down to MEPs and sign for a rate, all you're actually doing is saying "Hey Navy, save me a spot in that A-school". So the Navy gets you a spot in that A-school and then that determines when you actually ship out, so you can be at the school at the right(ish) time. So if you change your rate, then obviously you would need to change your ship date since that school date is probably going to be different than what you originally signed for. Make sense?

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
heinz57

heinz57 is on a distinguished road

That makes sense. Thank you! I was under the impression that DARs only get approved if someone else backs out of their contract at the last second, then the Navy replaced that person with someone who had put in a DAR. Thanks a lot!
heinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That makes sense. Thank you! I was under the impression that DARs only get approved if someone else backs out of their contract at the last second, then the Navy replaced that person with someone who had put in a DAR. Thanks a lot!
Yes and no. Sometimes the fleet changes requirements as well, but yea a lot of it is people backing out.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
Just4Kixs

Just4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud of

Quote:

I am a little confused and figured I would come here because even the classifier at MEPs lied to me. He told me with PACT-SN, you MUST get a rating and leave for A-School within 6 months of your first command. He said I can not legally remain undesignated for longer than 6 months..

Need some insight! Thanks!
1. DARs depend on your situation and manning levels of which rating you want. I DEPped in 20150204 with a DAR on the same day for a different rating. Been waiting and nothing yet. My recruiter really sold that idea on me but now I'm taking things in my own hands.

2./3. My recruiter called me for random jobs at one time towards the end of March for jobs available if I was interested. If you're open-minded for other jobs, you'd take a look into it, but when he called me, they were for jobs that were to leave the next 2 days for boot, and I wasn't prepared for that back then. Now I am. It also depends on the job contract that was made available. Some of the contracted jobs have you leave in the next few days while others on a different time frame. It just so happened that all the ones my recruiter called me for were on the same week. Looking back, I should have chosen asap.

Lol now I'm stuck in DEP until my ship date. I begged the classifier at MEPS to give me a later ship date because I had plans to give myself time to change ratings. It worked in a way, so you having a ship date in December gives you ample time to get chances in for a rating. Heck, I'd even switch ratings with you in a heartbeat! I really WANT PACT-SN! I wonder if there even is a way to do that. I'll ask my recruiter, I think there were 2 people in my DEP that wanted to trade and someone got something in the long run.
As what your recruiter told you with PACT-SN and the 6 months; my recruiter told me it was 2 years (24 months) that you have to strike for a rating... However, if you're like me coming in as an E3, I think you have 6 months until you can strike for a rating then take the 3rd class PO exam, but I'm hoping that if you don't strike a rate, you can still use the left over time to strike.
Just4Kixs is offline   Reply With Quote