NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Echowolf

Echowolf is on a distinguished road
Default Rate Advancement in Boot Camp?

I'm currently in DEP as an E-1 and I'm finishing up the DEP PQS so I'll have the chance to advance to E-2. When the recruiter was finishing up asking me questions she said that finishing the PQS up will give me my E-2 out of boot camp. My question is this; would passing the PQS give me the opportunity to get advanced to E-3 during boot camp? As someone in the AECF program I'd be getting my E-2 out of boot camp anyway so I'm curious if doing the PQS would give me the chance to get my E-3 out of boot camp. I know getting advanced at RTC isn't a certain thing but I'd like to know would this give me the chance to get advanced.

Also, what other things could I do to increase the chances of me getting advanced at boot camp; I've already memorized the general orders, the sailors creed, the phonetic alphabet, most of the ranks and recognition (I'm finishing up memorizing the proper way of describing each one and the way to describe officer shoulder boards and sleeves), basic movements, some of the RTC chain of command, and Navy vocabulary. I'm also already physically fit and very motivated. What other things would help me achieve this? Thanks in advance.
Echowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Having your START guide PQS signed off will not get you advanced. You have to both pass a test over that material at boot camp, and beat the minimums on the baseline PFA to go from E-1 to E-2. (That shouldn't be hard for you if you're physically fit, but it seemed important to make the distinction.)

To make E-3 on merit, you have to get noticed by your RDCs in a good way. Best methods I hear are to be in a leadership position, and hold that position to the end. It's not guaranteed, as you say, but it's your best chance. Knowing your stuff is obviously one good step towards getting noticed.

Being a team player at all times is another. One of my recruiters gave me this hint: Occasionally while you're out doing other things, the RDCs will come into your barracks and do a rack inspection. If anyone's rack is not perfect, they will "hurricane" the room, which means stripping everyone's mattresses (and I think also emptying rack lockers of your clothes and stuff) and tossing it all in a giant pile on the deck. People who come back to this scene and start rooting through the pile for their own stuff are failing the test. People who take the lead and organize the process of sorting everyone's things are doing it right.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

If you get advanced while in bootcamp, you won't get another advance for being AECF, it only takes you to E2. I know because CTI's the same way.
But if you get the PQS advancement you could also get advanced by your RDCs and make it to E3 that way. We actually had a guy here who lucked out - he was his division's main yeoman and got advanced for it, but his RDCs took their time and so when he left BC he was still an E1 and got the CTI advance to E2 and then his other promotion came thru and he got E3.

Don't forget you can get advanced for referrals too.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
miamicanes26

miamicanes26 is on a distinguished road

Hey I'll be leaving for boot camp in a couple of days... I'm just curios about the Navy DEP PQS test at boot camp. Do you have to score 100 of 100 or whats the least you have to score to pass that to get advanced? While passing your first pfa.
miamicanes26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Shawn15

Shawn15 is on a distinguished road

You just have to pass, I don't remember the exact score for passing. but it's like a 3.5 or 4.0. You can get advanced to E-3 by getting 100 on all test, but that's pretty hard to do.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
miamicanes26

Okay, thank you.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
miamicanes26

Actually one more thing do you remember how many questions were on there?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
Shawn15

Shawn15 is on a distinguished road

50 on the first test, 60 on second and 70 on third.