NavyDEP
 

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > IT = INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (IT, ITS)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
Tay
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 7
Tay is on a distinguished road
Default 2015 IT's

Any other fellow IT's out there. If any tell why or what you plan to get from being in this rate or any other info.
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
Wright
Newbie
 
Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bartonsville, PA
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 4
Wright is on a distinguished road
Default

Im shipping off 20150406 as an IT!
__________________
Ship Date: 20150406
Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #3
ShotOfWSC
**Active Duty**
 
ShotOfWSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Down in the dungeon
Posts: 35
Rep Power: 7
ShotOfWSC is on a distinguished road
Default

Congrats guys on choosing one of the best rates in the Navy. I'm IT3 Harmon, and if you have any questions about the rate and/or what we do, just let me know.
ShotOfWSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
Tay
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 7
Tay is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotOfWSC View Post
Congrats guys on choosing one of the best rates in the Navy. I'm IT3 Harmon, and if you have any questions about the rate and/or what we do, just let me know.
I was wondering what are the hours of an IT. Can it be boring sometimes? Is it more ship or shore duty?
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
Tay
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 7
Tay is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright View Post
Im shipping off 20150406 as an IT!
That's good. I ship out 20150707
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Secret Secret
Posts: 1,287
Rep Power: 260
FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay View Post
I was wondering what are the hours of an IT. Can it be boring sometimes? Is it more ship or shore duty?
You're hours will be similar to everyone else; working hours are typically 0700-1600. That changes sometimes based on your watch schedule, or on shore duty you could be on the night shift, but that's the standard "working day" for everyone in 90% of commands.

For IT's it's a bit of a coin toss on ship vs shore duty first. Every ship has a division of IT's, so there's PLENTY of possibility you get a ship first. But also some of the larger NCTAMS (pronounced Nick-Tams) facilities also get plenty of IT's straight out of A-school. The deciding factor will really be the "Needs of the Navy" at the time you're getting orders. If they need bodies on the ships, you go to a ship. If they need guys shore side, you go to shore. There really isn't anything you can do to predict it, it's just going to be what the needs are at the time you're getting assigned orders.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #7
Tay
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 7
Tay is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
You're hours will be similar to everyone else; working hours are typically 0700-1600. That changes sometimes based on your watch schedule, or on shore duty you could be on the night shift, but that's the standard "working day" for everyone in 90% of commands.

For IT's it's a bit of a coin toss on ship vs shore duty first. Every ship has a division of IT's, so there's PLENTY of possibility you get a ship first. But also some of the larger NCTAMS (pronounced Nick-Tams) facilities also get plenty of IT's straight out of A-school. The deciding factor will really be the "Needs of the Navy" at the time you're getting orders. If they need bodies on the ships, you go to a ship. If they need guys shore side, you go to shore. There really isn't anything you can do to predict it, it's just going to be what the needs are at the time you're getting assigned orders.

/r
CTT1
Can being a IT be boring at times?
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:30 AM   #8
ShotOfWSC
**Active Duty**
 
ShotOfWSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Down in the dungeon
Posts: 35
Rep Power: 7
ShotOfWSC is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay View Post
Can being a IT be boring at times?
Depends on your definition of boring. We're responsible for COMSEC, and always pretty busy...especially underway. In port we work normal working hours like everyone else (usually 0700-1600ish), but underway we work 12 on, 12 off. Underway a lot of stuff goes on and things can get pretty hectic. For me, it's never a dull day, because we play a part in just about everything that goes on in the ship and have a role in a lot of exercises (for example, TSN, where we can assist FCs in redirecting their strike missiles via satellite). SHF can go down, then the entire crew is angry and complaining lol. It also depends on where you go. As an IT, you have numerous places you can be stationed, with some of the more common places being Ships, NCTAMS, NCTS and NIOC. You can also go to squadrons, do mobile comms (supporting Spec Ops), Seabee detachments, etc.. We do a lot of things, so the oportunities are endless. Basically, anywhere there are comms and computers (which is everywhere), there are ITs. One thing to know though...being an IT is a very thankless job, at least on a ship. It's one of those rates where you just spent hours troubleshooting and fixing a server that unexpectedly crashed or a critical, tactical circuit...but all you get credit for is fixing a printer or unlocking someone's account who forgot their password. If you're a 6yr, you get one of 2 C schools (Network or Comms), but depending on where you go, you'll end up doing everything anyways regardless of what NEC you have because at the end of the day, an IT is an IT and we all work together...even though you will be primarily one or the other, you'll get the full scope.. There are also lots of C schools (if your command allows) and certs available for us.

Last edited by ShotOfWSC; 03-28-2015 at 04:22 PM.
ShotOfWSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #9
enerG
Newbie
 
enerG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 5
enerG is on a distinguished road
Default

Harmon, are there certs that you gain in A school? Also would any prior schooling in the IT field be useful in A school?
enerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #10
ShotOfWSC
**Active Duty**
 
ShotOfWSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Down in the dungeon
Posts: 35
Rep Power: 7
ShotOfWSC is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enerG View Post
Harmon, are there certs that you gain in A school? Also would any prior schooling in the IT field be useful in A school?
Yes. In A school, you'll receive your A+ cert. If you get SysAd as your C school, you will get your Security+ cert. Although when you get to your first command, they'll most likely require you to get Secuity+ anyway if you don't have it. It's now required to be able to touch the networks as an admin. Take the certs seriously, because if you don't pass the certs in school after 2 attempts, you get re rated. Yes, prior IT schooling would be helpful in school as far a networking goes, but not on the comms side of things. It helps as far as knowledge goes (depending on your level of knowledge), but not for any other reason.
ShotOfWSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:51 PM   #11
enerG
Newbie
 
enerG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 5
enerG is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotOfWSC View Post
Yes. In A school, you'll receive your A+ cert. If you get SysAd as your C school, you will get your Security+ cert. Although when you get to your first command, they'll most likely require you to get Secuity+ anyway if you don't have it. It's now required to be able to touch the networks as an admin. Take the certs seriously, because if you don't pass the certs in school after 2 attempts, you get re rated. Yes, prior IT schooling would be helpful in school as far a networking goes, but not on the comms side of things. It helps as far as knowledge goes (depending on your level of knowledge), but not for any other reason.
I'll be a 4 year IT-SG, I have my BS in information and computer technology with a concentration in information security. As far as C-school goes I don't think 4 years get that opportunity? Also do 4 year IT's get the advancement opportunity that 6 year IT's get?
enerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
ShotOfWSC
**Active Duty**
 
ShotOfWSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Down in the dungeon
Posts: 35
Rep Power: 7
ShotOfWSC is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enerG View Post
I'll be a 4 year IT-SG, I have my BS in information and computer technology with a concentration in information security. As far as C-school goes I don't think 4 years get that opportunity? Also do 4 year IT's get the advancement opportunity that 6 year IT's get?
No, 4yr ITs don't get the push button e4, but that's okay because advancement to 3rd has been at 100% for a while, so with you already having a degree which means you're going in e3...you'll be e4 in no time at all. Even with the auto advancement, what people don't know is that you still need TIR (time in rate) to pick up, so even with the push button, 6yrs still have to do time as e2 and e3 (6yrs get to put on e2 after boot). With your degree concentration in IS, you will more than likely have a good grasp on the networking side of things because we are ALL about the security of our networks and systems. I'm primarily a comms guy and withing 2 weeks of checking on board to my command, they sent me to class to get Security+ certified. I got my degree before joining as well (in computer information systems), so I already knew a lot, but you will still learn more...especially as you actually start to do work outside of school. Also, if you think you can pass the cert without the class or have done self study, you can request a voucher to take certs.
ShotOfWSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #13
enerG
Newbie
 
enerG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 5
enerG is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotOfWSC View Post
No, 4yr ITs don't get the push button e4, but that's okay because advancement to 3rd has been at 100% for a while, so with you already having a degree which means you're going in e3...you'll be e4 in no time at all. Even with the auto advancement, what people don't know is that you still need TIR (time in rate) to pick up, so even with the push button, 6yrs still have to do time as e2 and e3 (6yrs get to put on e2 after boot). With your degree concentration in IS, you will more than likely have a good grasp on the networking side of things because we are ALL about the security of our networks and systems. I'm primarily a comms guy and withing 2 weeks of checking on board to my command, they sent me to class to get Security+ certified. I got my degree before joining as well (in computer information systems), so I already knew a lot, but you will still learn more...especially as you actually start to do work outside of school. Also, if you think you can pass the cert without the class or have done self study, you can request a voucher to take certs.

I know my IT experience gained will translate, but if I do get a com position within IT would the skills and work experience acquired translate to civ life and trying to get a job on the outside?
enerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #14
Tay
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 7
Tay is on a distinguished road
Default

How is advancement looking in this rate?
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:27 AM   #15
ShotOfWSC
**Active Duty**
 
ShotOfWSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Down in the dungeon
Posts: 35
Rep Power: 7
ShotOfWSC is on a distinguished road
Default

enerG,

Comms is different than network in that it isn't as applicable in the civilian world as network...there are jobs out there for that skill set though (major cell towers, radio companies, satellite controlling companies or anything that deals with knowledge of telecommunications or the RF and EM field). Also, like I stated, you will learn both sides. Comms and network are different, but when you become and IT, you will see how they correlate with each other to form the entire rating. Network, however, is a more valuable skill set if you look at civilian opportunities. In the civilian sector, your clearance will probably be more valuable than anything though. I just think comms is more fun, being that I've done more stuff than people can imagine. If you plan on getting out though, then yes...network gives you the more valuable and marketable skill set. I'm sure you can imagine what kind of experience running 3+ networks will give you.

Tay,

IT advancement is good right now actually. Better than A LOT of other ratings, that's for sure. I just took my test for 2nd, and pretty sure I'm gonna make it first time up. You'll pick up and advance in pay grade pretty quickly. So, IT is def not a bad choice if you're looking at advancement opportunities.
ShotOfWSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:27 PM   #16
Tommyj
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
Tommyj is on a distinguished road
Default

Hello Guys,

I'm Thomas, currently in DEP. I am leaving 20150826 for RTC then off to Pensacola for IT A school
Tommyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #17
Teck3
Junior Member
 
Teck3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 46
Rep Power: 45
Teck3 is a glorious beacon of lightTeck3 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

I DEP'd in today for IT/ATF, ship date of 20151006.
__________________
MEPS with USMC: 20140719
Transfer to USN: 20141220
DEP - 20150401 as IT
Ship - 20151019 (currently at RTC)
Teck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:48 PM   #18
ShotOfWSC
**Active Duty**
 
ShotOfWSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Down in the dungeon
Posts: 35
Rep Power: 7
ShotOfWSC is on a distinguished road
Default

Congrats guys! You really made a great choice. If you guys have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

V/R
IT3
ShotOfWSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:56 AM   #19
Tay
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 7
Tay is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyj View Post
Hello Guys,

I'm Thomas, currently in DEP. I am leaving 20150826 for RTC then off to Pensacola for IT A school
I'm IT too. I ship 20150707. We might be in A School together
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #20
FS LANE
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
FS LANE is on a distinguished road
Default IT and Excited

Just got depped in on 20150513 as an IT ATF. I see a lot of talk about IT being primarily subs. Is this true or is it just a common misconception. Also I have no clue what the ATF on my rate means, other than the fact i signed up for 6 years as opposed to 4. Also my ship date is 4 days before christmas, my recruiter told me that i would likely be pushed to after new years but the officer at MEPS told me i would more likely be pushed to the 17th of dec. Any sort of information helps.

ShipDate 20151221
FS LANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:16 AM   #21
ShotOfWSC
**Active Duty**
 
ShotOfWSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Down in the dungeon
Posts: 35
Rep Power: 7
ShotOfWSC is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS LANE View Post
Just got depped in on 20150513 as an IT ATF. I see a lot of talk about IT being primarily subs. Is this true or is it just a common misconception. Also I have no clue what the ATF on my rate means, other than the fact i signed up for 6 years as opposed to 4. Also my ship date is 4 days before christmas, my recruiter told me that i would likely be pushed to after new years but the officer at MEPS told me i would more likely be pushed to the 17th of dec. Any sort of information helps.

ShipDate 20151221
IT is not primarily subs...that's ITS. So yes, that is a misconception. ITS are the ITs dedicated to subs. The difference between IT and ITS is the same as the difference between STG and STS. The ATF (Advanced Technical Field), just means that you signed for 24 month extension, and as a bonus the Navy gives you extra training (C school) and automatic E4 upon completion of A school (assuming you have TIR). As far as the whole ship date thing, it just depends on how they are running things...it really could go either way though. It's just however they want to run things and what's convenient to the scheduling for them.

IT2 (Select)
ShotOfWSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:53 AM   #22
Teck3
Junior Member
 
Teck3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 46
Rep Power: 45
Teck3 is a glorious beacon of lightTeck3 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

You can volunteer for subs and attend BESS (sub school), becoming ITS (instead of IT), though you'll likely be stuck on submarines for the entirety of your career (e.g. cannot switch to surface ships). Other than that, IT shouldn't go sub.
__________________
MEPS with USMC: 20140719
Transfer to USN: 20141220
DEP - 20150401 as IT
Ship - 20151019 (currently at RTC)
Teck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #23
DHutch
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
DHutch is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotOfWSC View Post
Congrats guys! You really made a great choice. If you guys have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

V/R
IT3
I chose this rate because i qualified and i thought it would be interesting, I have no experience in this field whatsoever. I was wondering how difficult A school is going to be given i have no experience?
DHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #24
ShotOfWSC
**Active Duty**
 
ShotOfWSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Down in the dungeon
Posts: 35
Rep Power: 7
ShotOfWSC is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHutch View Post
I chose this rate because i qualified and i thought it would be interesting, I have no experience in this field whatsoever. I was wondering how difficult A school is going to be given i have no experience?
Being an IT is VERY interesting (great choice)!!! I always tell people that IT "A" school can be easy or hard depending on your motivation and interest levels. People who tend to be interested in certain topics usually do better in them. Some things can be confusing until you start to get the hang of it though. However, you don't really go too deep in depth with anything in "A" school anyway...you dig deeper in "C" school. That being said, difficulty depends on you. As long as you focus on class and get your study time in you'll be okay. If there is something you don't understand, stay for tutoring because there is a lot of information that will be thrown at you. You're not the first person to go into the rate with no experience and you definitely won't be the last. Good luck, you'll do fine!\

/R
IT2
ShotOfWSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #25
king
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
king is on a distinguished road
Default

IT. I'm going to RTC 20160107. I really want to leave earlier.
king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #26
nicknaaks
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
nicknaaks is on a distinguished road
Default

Hey guys this is my first time using this forum so please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong lol.

Future sailor Tiong set to go to RTC on 20151110. Didn't get picked up for nuke so they put me into IT instead. haven't done any research on this rating because I really thought I was going to get picked up for nuke. I was wondering how long is A school? Also, after A school will I get assigned to my first command right away?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(Sorry if I'm thread jacking)
nicknaaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:42 AM   #27
king
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
king is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaaks View Post
Hey guys this is my first time using this forum so please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong lol.

Future sailor Tiong set to go to RTC on 20151110. Didn't get picked up for nuke so they put me into IT instead. haven't done any research on this rating because I really thought I was going to get picked up for nuke. I was wondering how long is A school? Also, after A school will I get assigned to my first command right away?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(Sorry if I'm thread jacking)
From what I understand, IT requires an A School and C School, which are both located in Pensacola. Did you sign a 6 year contract? If you don't have C School then yes, your first command will be assigned at the end of A School. Depending on how well your schooling goes, you get to fill out a dream sheet of places you prefer to go.
king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #28
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Secret Secret
Posts: 1,287
Rep Power: 260
FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by king View Post
From what I understand, IT requires an A School and C School, which are both located in Pensacola. Did you sign a 6 year contract? If you don't have C School then yes, your first command will be assigned at the end of A School. Depending on how well your schooling goes, you get to fill out a dream sheet of places you prefer to go.
Not all IT's will go to C-schools. C-schools are for those specializing in a specific skill or equipment. So if you're destined for a command that needs that specific skill set, then the Navy will pay for you to get that school. If your billet doesn't require it though, they aren't going to spend thousands on a school you wont need.

The dream sheet is also exactly that; a dream. It's where you would like to go, not a list of places you will go. Just get your head around that you'll be going to where the Navy needs you guys rather than getting to pick. If they give you options though, awesome! ^_^

IT A-school is heavily computer based training and somewhat self-paced (you're working through modules). So it really depends on how fast you get through everything. Although at a minimum it will still take a couple months with everything going on.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:22 AM   #29
ShotOfWSC
**Active Duty**
 
ShotOfWSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Down in the dungeon
Posts: 35
Rep Power: 7
ShotOfWSC is on a distinguished road
Default

Like CTT1 said, not all ITs get "C" school. It depends on if you signed a 4 year or a 6 year contract. If you signed for 6 years, then you will have a "C" school. Also, sometimes depending on how well you do in "A" school and the need for certain NECs, you can get picked up for a "C" school. IT "A" school is approximately 6 months in length and is split up into 4 different courses. It's instructor led, but most of your work is computer based. You can expect to be at Corry Station for 6 months to a year or over depending on if you just have "A" school or both and how long it takes you to class up, etc..

/R
IT2
ShotOfWSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #30
LT Guppy
**Active Duty**

 
LT Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,858
Rep Power: 341
LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotOfWSC View Post
Like CTT1 said, not all ITs get "C" school. It depends on if you signed a 4 year or a 6 year contract. If you signed for 6 years, then you will have a "C" school. Also, sometimes depending on how well you do in "A" school and the need for certain NECs, you can get picked up for a "C" school. IT "A" school is approximately 6 months in length and is split up into 4 different courses. It's instructor led, but most of your work is computer based. You can expect to be at Corry Station for 6 months to a year or over depending on if you just have "A" school or both and how long it takes you to class up, etc..

/R
IT2
(IT2 I got your message, I just got back from leave and am trying to catch up on life...)
__________________
Officers: making simple stuff hard since 1775

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #31
ShotOfWSC
**Active Duty**
 
ShotOfWSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Down in the dungeon
Posts: 35
Rep Power: 7
ShotOfWSC is on a distinguished road
Default

No worries Ma'am...I know that feeling, lol. Hopefully you enjoyed your leave (pretty sure you did).
ShotOfWSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #32
king
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
king is on a distinguished road
Default

Is there a way to leave for boot camp earlier than the date you signed for (and still keep your rate)?
king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:13 AM   #33
Teck3
Junior Member
 
Teck3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 46
Rep Power: 45
Teck3 is a glorious beacon of lightTeck3 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by king View Post
Is there a way to leave for boot camp earlier than the date you signed for (and still keep your rate)?
I'm not sure how common it is, but my recruiter asked a few weeks back if I wanted to ship out early (less than 30 days from him asking) - I still had 4 months left prior to my set ship date. I turned him down, but it looks like I would've shipped early with the same rating.
__________________
MEPS with USMC: 20140719
Transfer to USN: 20141220
DEP - 20150401 as IT
Ship - 20151019 (currently at RTC)
Teck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:05 PM   #34
king
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
king is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teck3 View Post
I'm not sure how common it is, but my recruiter asked a few weeks back if I wanted to ship out early (less than 30 days from him asking) - I still had 4 months left prior to my set ship date. I turned him down, but it looks like I would've shipped early with the same rating.
I'm definitely contacting my recruiter Monday! That sounds lovely if possible.
king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:06 AM   #35
Tay
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 7
Tay is on a distinguished road
Default

Do anyone know if IT's get CEH?
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:10 PM   #36
Teck3
Junior Member
 
Teck3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 46
Rep Power: 45
Teck3 is a glorious beacon of lightTeck3 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

I could be mistaken seeing as I'm only a DEP member, but I do not believe IT does ethical hacking.

https://www.cool.navy.mil/usn/search/CERT_CEH4310.htm

Cryptologic Technician Networks (CTN) is the rating that can obtain that certification.
__________________
MEPS with USMC: 20140719
Transfer to USN: 20141220
DEP - 20150401 as IT
Ship - 20151019 (currently at RTC)
Teck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #37
Dominique
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
Dominique is on a distinguished road
Default

I leave on the 20151013 and I have the same rate as you we might see each other in boot camp
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #38
Matt
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 50
Rep Power: 23
Matt is a jewel in the rough
Default

I got reclassified as IT(thankfully!), lots of good info here as to IT A school. Can someone tell me what A school is like, I've heard that there are tons of rules and they take all of your civilian clothes and electronics (besides phone) when you check in, is that true? Ive been in the Navy for 7 months so hopefully I can get out of that. Where I am now we have 0 rules and I can leave base whenever I want, and it's pretty awesome....
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:30 PM   #39
Kysty32
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
Kysty32 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotOfWSC View Post
Congrats guys on choosing one of the best rates in the Navy. I'm IT3 Harmon, and if you have any questions about the rate and/or what we do, just let me know.
Future Sailor Ski here. My rating is IT and my ship date is 20150224. I have a lot of questions regarding the IT rating as it is what I got. My main question is: what is life like as a Navy IT? (I signed 6 yr)
Kysty32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:24 PM   #40
Tay
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 7
Tay is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I got reclassified as IT(thankfully!), lots of good info here as to IT A school. Can someone tell me what A school is like, I've heard that there are tons of rules and they take all of your civilian clothes and electronics (besides phone) when you check in, is that true? Ive been in the Navy for 7 months so hopefully I can get out of that. Where I am now we have 0 rules and I can leave base whenever I want, and it's pretty awesome....
I'm in A school now and they don't take your electronics or civvies.
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:10 AM   #41
rjgrant
 
rjgrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
rjgrant is on a distinguished road
Default

Hooyah Communicators! IT is a great rate, and you should be proud to wear your sparks once you earn them! I've been stationed on several ships in SD, Hawai'i (NCTAMS), and a ship in Japan. Any questions, let me know.

-ITC
rjgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
it's

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
This site and contents 2009-2014 NavyFamiles