NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #51
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody13 View Post
Hi ctt1.. My daughter got in trouble the other day at a meeting for using the term spook. . Kinda strange because everyone uses it? ?? She's leaving in 27 days. I'm freaking out. Should I go to Chicago for graduation. .I don't know how to plan to see her. . Hawaii is so far away. It's not easy or cheap to make lady minute plans. . Do they tell her things ahead of time enough for me to plan. Thanks again, jody 13
Graduation is pretty great. But you may get to spend more time with her if you go visit at her A-School for a long weekend. I'd leave that one up to her; would she rather you see her graduate (in person, there is a live-stream online) and spend a couple hours with you or spend a couple days with you a couple weeks later?

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #52
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSSparks View Post
Is it easy or hard to make rate in the CTR field? In theory, if people are constantly getting contractor jobs, wouldn't that make it easier because it frees up spots? Or does it just not work out like that?
gonna quote that in case you missed it since there was another page made.

But I also have another question. If I volunteer for sub duty, will that help my 'resume' when trying to make rate? Especially chief and above? Or when it comes down to it does it not really matter. I really don't want to be in a sub, but i'll do what ever it takes.

And I know a lot of my questions so far have been the best way to get rated higher, and I shouldn't be worrying to much about it. But my main goal is to become a Warrant Officer. And my recruiter has a little plaque that says a goal without a plan is just a wish. So I'm trying to get a feel of what I NEED to do to help me achieve this. A Warrant Officer may be tough to get, so I'm even happy with just chief. But I still want to try for that Warrant Officer.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #53
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
But I also have another question. If I volunteer for sub duty, will that help my 'resume' when trying to make rate? Especially chief and above? Or when it comes down to it does it not really matter. I really don't want to be in a sub, but i'll do what ever it takes.

My RDC was a CTICS(SW/SG). Basically, the SG is a sub warfare pin, but instead of the usual SS pin (dolphins), the SG pin means that you're "Qualified in submarines; not detailed by the submarine community."

I don't know a whole lot about it, but it's something worth looking into.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:06 AM   #54
jody13

jody13 is on a distinguished road

Hi Guppy. .its a little far to go to graduation from Hawaii but I wouldn't want to miss it. Also we have family near Pensacola. . That's where she goes for school. So I will definately see her there too...I guess the question is does she get information on dates in a timely manner so I can plan and make air plane ticketsfor grad and time off after a school. . Thanks, jody13
jody13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #55
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody13 View Post
Hi ctt1.. My daughter got in trouble the other day at a meeting for using the term spook. . Kinda strange because everyone uses it? ?? She's leaving in 27 days. I'm freaking out. Should I go to Chicago for graduation. .I don't know how to plan to see her. . Hawaii is so far away. It's not easy or cheap to make lady minute plans. . Do they tell her things ahead of time enough for me to plan. Thanks again, jody 13
Jody,
I'm not really sure I see the issue in using that term. Although he might be getting after her since she hasn't actually earned the title yet. That I could see. As far as graduation, it's something you should try to make it there for. It's great seeing family after boot camp and you'll get to spend some time with her before she heads off to Pensacola. I highly recommend making the trip if you're able.

Quote:
Is it easy or hard to make rate in the CTR field? In theory, if people are constantly getting contractor jobs, wouldn't that make it easier because it frees up spots? Or does it just not work out like that?
Not everybody leaves for contractor jobs. The Navy over the last few years has been seeing record high retention numbers. That being said though, making rate as a CT is typically easier than most other rates. You'll get PO3 pretty fast, but PO2 and PO1 both are going to require some work and a few years. But overall we CT types rank up faster that most.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #56
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for being late on the response folks! Busy week so far...

/r
CTT1
Old 08-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #57
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
A Warrant Officer may be tough to get, so I'm even happy with just chief. But I still want to try for that Warrant Officer.
Training moment here...
Don't ever let anyone here you say "just Chief". Earning your Anchors is a HUGE milestone in a Sailors career and the Chiefs mess is one of the tightest knit groups in the military. You'll understand more once you're in for a bit, but being a Chief in the Navy is VASTLY different than being an E-7 in the other services. Trust me, I work with other services all the time and it's not even comparable.

That being said, I applaud you for having a plan for your goals! Just keep in mind that making Warrant is something that could take 10+ years. So buckle down for the long haul. It's great that you're already looking ahead though!

/r
CTT1
Old 08-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #58
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold

Thanks again Griffin. Always have some wise words to say. But yea unless someone can offer me a job that has great pay and is reliable, then I probably will stay Navy for the 20 years. From what I heard you have to have 14 years in the Navy and be Chief before you can even start thinking about WO.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #59
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Thanks again Griffin. Always have some wise words to say. But yea unless someone can offer me a job that has great pay and is reliable, then I probably will stay Navy for the 20 years. From what I heard you have to have 14 years in the Navy and be Chief before you can even start thinking about WO.
Once you make Chief you can start applying for WO. The 14 year thing isn't a requirement. You just have to be a Chief to start the process.

Becoming a CPO is a pretty big hurdle in it's own right though. It's much more difficult than making Petty Officer.

/r
CTT1
Old 08-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #60
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

How much traveling is done by CTR's usually? Do they have more shore duties then othe sailors? Over seas or states side? Out on deployments more or less then the average sailor?

Edit: Also, would a computer science degree possibly a good degree to have later on?

Last edited by CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie; 08-15-2014 at 06:38 PM.
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:59 AM   #61
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
How much traveling is done by CTR's usually? Do they have more shore duties then othe sailors? Over seas or states side? Out on deployments more or less then the average sailor?

Edit: Also, would a computer science degree possibly a good degree to have later on?
CTRs travel just as much as any other rate really. If you're on a ship then you're going everywhere the ship goes, just like everyone else. No matter where you go you're going to be part of a unit. So you're going to be doing everything else that they're doing, when they're doing it. If the ship is getting underway for a week, you're getting underway for a week. Catch my drift?

Sea/Shore rotation is typically 4yrs sea duty/3yrs shore. Although that changes after you've been in for a while (years down the road), just wrap your head around going to a sea command (aka a deployable command) for your first tour. In rare cases some Sailors are assigned shore duty right off the bat, but this is the exception and not the standard.

CS is a great degree to have if you're going into a technical field!

/r
CTT1
Old 08-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #62
isf215

isf215 is on a distinguished road

Hey CTT1(SW)Griffin,

I've heard a few different things about CTI's and getting stationed. I've heard that they don't go by the typical sea/shore duty, but CONUS/OCONUS duty. If you could, would you be able to elaborate a little more on that?

Thanks
isf215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #63
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by isf215 View Post
Hey CTT1(SW)Griffin,

I've heard a few different things about CTI's and getting stationed. I've heard that they don't go by the typical sea/shore duty, but CONUS/OCONUS duty. If you could, would you be able to elaborate a little more on that?

Thanks
CTIs are heavily shore based. You can get direct support jobs to go out and support deployed assets overseas, but for the most part they work out of NIOCs that are state side. The further along you get in your career and the more experience you have though, the more different opportunities for unique jobs or travel will come your way.

/r
CTT1
Old 08-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #64
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

Usually how long does it take to class up for CTR? And on average what is the class size?
Old 08-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #65
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Usually how long does it take to class up for CTR? And on average what is the class size?
Classing up depends on how long it takes you to badge up (get clearance finalized and get INDOC'd for your security badge), as well as how many people are waiting for the class before you get there. It could be anywhere from a month to 3 months. It really just depends on the sailor and when you get there.

I wont discuss specifics about how many people work in the SCIF (students included) but the class size is average. It's enough to where if you need personal help you'll be able to get it.

/r
CTT1
Old 08-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #66
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

Well shit. i thought i would be there a couple weeks at most before class started. What do we do until class starts?
Old 08-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #67
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Well shit. i thought i would be there a couple weeks at most before class started. What do we do until class starts?
You gotta keep in mind that there is only 1 CTR A-school... For everyone... In the entire DoD... haha So that's why sometimes it can take a bit. Also, your TS investigation sometimes hits a snag and that can delay it too.

While you're waiting to class/badge up, you'll be in whats called "Holding". It's a pretty large group of people all either waiting for class (all CT rates are there) or people waiting to leave after they've finished school. In holding you're given a job around base either cleaning up, maintaining something, running paperwork, ect. Basically you just help the base function while you're awaiting class. It's super easy so don't worry too much about it.

/r
CTT1
Old 08-19-2014, 06:36 AM   #68
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Bumped for questions
Old 08-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #69
corymaloy

corymaloy is on a distinguished road
Default CTN

I'm hoping to get ctn, but I'm wondering about duty stations. How common is it for a ctn to get Hawaii? I would love to live there again. Also do you know if ctns get to do any programming? I have the majority of a cs degree finished and would like to keep improving my coding skills!
corymaloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #70
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Soooo, CTT1...are y'all looking for cross raters? In a year and a half, say? >_>

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #71
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
Soooo, CTT1...are y'all looking for cross raters? In a year and a half, say? >_>
Right now the rates extremely full; last I checked we weren't taking convert-ins. Although it's the Navy, and who knows what it'll be next month or even tomorrow. Your best bet would be checking into it when you're ready to make a move. Since we are at the peak now it would make sense that in a year or so there could be some room as we shave off some numbers over the next FY or 2.

/r
CTT1
Old 08-28-2014, 12:39 AM   #72
USNAVYCASTRO

USNAVYCASTRO is on a distinguished road

Hey new to the forum, quick questions, I was extremely interested on becoming a CTI I already know Spanish pretty fluently and French at a beginner level, but I was also along the lines of CTT because I hear it's an excellent career choice. I was mostly wondering what type of algebra would be necessary to know in order to become one of the two, and any ways to study up before hand. Thanks in advance.
USNAVYCASTRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:05 AM   #73
isf215

isf215 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNAVYCASTRO View Post
Hey new to the forum, quick questions, I was extremely interested on becoming a CTI I already know Spanish pretty fluently and French at a beginner level, but I was also along the lines of CTT because I hear it's an excellent career choice. I was mostly wondering what type of algebra would be necessary to know in order to become one of the two, and any ways to study up before hand. Thanks in advance.
Knowing Spanish and a little bit of French is good and will help you out a lot. To qualify to become a CTI you need to score a 110 on the DLAB, (I think that's what it's at now, but don't quote me on the number), and you take that at MEPS as a separate test after the ASVAB.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...Pages/CTI.aspx

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...Pages/CTT.aspx

This site has the qualifications and scores for the ASVAB for becoming a CTI and a CTT. It's mostly just basic math that you learned in high school, nothing too hard.

Hope this helps
isf215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:51 AM   #74
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Like the post above me states, having some language skills beforehand is a definite plus. The only algebra you're going to need is for the ASVAB though, so don't stress to much about that.

The best thing you can do at this point is study up for the ASVAB (there are a TON of books out there to help). As far as I'm aware there really isn't a way to study for the DLAB. So just get solid on the basics and you'll be on a good path!

/r
CTT1
Old 08-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #75
USNAVYCASTRO

Thanks isf215 and CTT1(sw)Griffin. Appreciate the responses.
Now just time to condition to score big on the pft.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #76
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Thanks isf215 and CTT1(sw)Griffin. Appreciate the responses.
Now just time to condition to score big on the pft.
Anytime!

I would focus more on the ASVAB right now than your PRT. Your PRT isn't an issue until your're actually AT boot camp (just as long as you're in BF standards), while the ASVAB is going to determine what you're even eligible for.

/r
CTT1
Old 08-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #77
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

Of the different brances of CTs, which branch has more people? Which one has the least?
Old 08-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #78
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Of the different brances of CTs, which branch has more people? Which one has the least?
Not sure which branch has the most, but M-branchers have by far the least.

/r
CTT1
Old 08-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #79
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough

Good afternoon CTT1,

I just had a few general questions since you've had plenty of experience working alongside other CT ratings:

What could a typical first enlistment look like for a CTI? What are the potential duty stations right out of the DLI?

Also, I have researched that most special assignments for CT's such as aircrew, sub duty, and special operations are more 2nd tour type duties (not right out of the DLI), is this correct? I've just heard that during your first enlistment you're more than likely going to be at a NIOC with a desk job...or a mop...

Thank you in advance petty officer

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
classified9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #80
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by classified9 View Post
Good afternoon CTT1,

I just had a few general questions since you've had plenty of experience working alongside other CT ratings:

What could a typical first enlistment look like for a CTI? What are the potential duty stations right out of the DLI?

Also, I have researched that most special assignments for CT's such as aircrew, sub duty, and special operations are more 2nd tour type duties (not right out of the DLI), is this correct? I've just heard that during your first enlistment you're more than likely going to be at a NIOC with a desk job...or a mop...

Classified,

I'm out of town for the next few days. I'll get everything to you as soon as I'm back!
Old 08-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #81
JoeSpook

JoeSpook is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty anxious to hear what comes up, as well. Classified, I hope to meet you at DLI!

Best,
j

DEP: 20140630
CTI: 20140709
Ship: 20141201
JoeSpook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #82
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

during bootcamp, since I will be needing a security clearance, will I still be able to send letters to my mom in Germany? She just got stationed there a few months ago.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:27 AM   #83
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by classified9 View Post
Good afternoon CTT1,

Your first enlistment duty station is 90% likely to be at a NIOC. What specific NIOC you'll be going to would depend on your language (obviously Chinese linguists don't go to Texas; you get the idea).

If you want to do some extra special spooky stuffy, Aircrew or sub support would be the most likely. This is something you could talk to your detailer and school house about while you're at DLI. It would be a follow on C-school, as both of those are volunteer only programs. Something like TIO though would be around your 2nd enlistment, as they want some experience in you first for that.

Quote:
during bootcamp, since I will be needing a security clearance, will I still be able to send letters to my mom in Germany? She just got stationed there a few months ago.
Your mother being stationed in Germany will have no effect on your security clearance stuff. Write away!

/r
CTT1
Old 09-02-2014, 07:09 AM   #84
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the input Petty Officer,

If you saw another post from me a few minutes ago I went back and deleted it. I didn't know if my post went through or not last week when I checked this weekend, I have a tendency to start writing a post then get busy and forget to send it. Didn't think to check page 2

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
classified9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #85
USNAVYCASTRO

Hows its going CTT1,

How would you say the work/life balance is as a CTI or CTT? How often would you say i am able to see my wife and son?
Thanks for the response in advance.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #86
futureSPOOK32

futureSPOOK32 is on a distinguished road

Do you know any information about CTR C-schools? I haven't really been able to find anything on that topic so any info is appreciated!
Old 09-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #87
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Hows its going CTT1,

How would you say the work/life balance is as a CTI or CTT? How often would you say i am able to see my wife and son?
Thanks for the response in advance.
CTI and CTT are totally different worlds, but I'll touch on both.

As a CTI you're 99.9999% likely going to a NIOC (so you'll be shore based). That being said, it's going to be a pretty average 0700-1600 working day like a normal job. You may have a watch rotation in there, but it still will be a very average work week.

CTTs however can go to a ship (and most do). While in port on non-duty days you'll be there 0700-1600. Days you're on duty though you're going to be there a full 24hrs. The average ship has 4-5 duty sections, so every 4-5 days you would be staying over night. Don't stress that though, its not a huge deal. The ship will also get underway from time-to-time and also will obviously deploy; so you would be gone for those as well.

Don't let sea duty discourge you though. Most of the crew had a wife and kid at home and it wasn't an issue. Plus you're only going to go see the world if you're on a ship. Guys on shore duty don't get to have crazy adventures overseas. For example, I did 30 countries in about 2 deployments... So take that for what its worth (I was on an FFG).

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSPOOK32 View Post
Do you know any information about CTR C-schools? I haven't really been able to find anything on that topic so any info is appreciated!
Could you be more specific on what exactly you want to know? Just talking about a C-school is a pretty broad topic. =]

/r
CTT1
Old 09-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #88
futureSPOOK32

Yah sorry bout that. I guess I was wondering what they go more in depth about if that makes sense. And how likely is it that I'll even get a cschool or is that hard to tell? And also are they all going to be at Corry? Sorry if I'm still being kinda vague lol :P If so I'm sure I'll find out eventually. And thanks in advance!
Old 09-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #89
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSPOOK32 View Post
Yah sorry bout that. I guess I was wondering what they go more in depth about if that makes sense. And how likely is it that I'll even get a cschool or is that hard to tell? And also are they all going to be at Corry? Sorry if I'm still being kinda vague lol :P If so I'm sure I'll find out eventually. And thanks in advance!
Well I'm assuming you already know vaguely what a CTR does, so I'll touch more about the actual school system, billets, and Corry. If you want me to elaborate on CTR life more I can do that too.

As far as A-school goes, you'll most likely be on a pretty regular schedule;
(This is a very rough idea of a normal day, don't take the times to be written in stone)
Wake up and get breakfast at the galley
Go muster up with your class and march over to the school house
In class probably from 0800-1130
Break for lunch
Back in class by 1300
Remain in class until probably 1600ish
The rest of the day is yours to do what you want with as long as you're not on duty! Just be ready for class the next day.

PT wise you might do it 3 times a week and probably earlier in the morning before classes.

As far as C-schools go, those are on an as-needed basis by what the Navy/your future command needs at the time.
C-schools are given to Sailors so that they can become specialized in a specific task or field within their rate. For instance, I'm a CTT, but I could go get a C-school for OPELINT and get an NEC showing that I'm an expert in that particular subject.
HOW you get a C-school is based on if whatever command you're going needs that specific skill set. So if your future command just needs a regular CTR without anything special, then you aren't getting one. If they need someone that can do Morse Code, then you're gonna go to the Morse Code C-school and get that NEC.

90% of the CT C-schools are at Corry. You may go to some other smaller schools (that don't award an NEC) while you're at your command too. So don't think just because you aren't getting a C school that they aren't going to train the shit out of you. They will.

/r
CTT1
Old 09-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #90
futureSPOOK32

That definitely helps, very good info! Thanks a lot!
Old 09-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #91
Kcahill90

Kcahill90 is on a distinguished road

Hey! I'm in DEP for AV right now, and it wasn't at all my first choice, but I want to be in the Navy and a job is a job (plus, I love aircraft). I really wanted to be IS or CTN but my credit isn't great because of student loans, so I couldn't get the clearance. I have a bachelors and most of a masters degree, I scored really well on the ASVAB, and I have nothing in my background to DQ me, so my recruiter really wanted me in either of those as much as I did. I talked to the chief and my recruiter and they're saying once I get my loans down a bit I should be able to get that TS clearance and re-rate after I'm in a few years. Realistically how difficult do you think it would be to do that? I'm committed to AV but my dream would really be one of the others, especially because I'd love to work with the Feds eventually. Just figured I'd get the opinion of someone already there. Thanks in advance!
Kcahill90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #92
Cobblestone

Cobblestone is on a distinguished road
Default Some CTI questions

What areas do CTI's usually get stationed at? Is it usually sea duty or shore duty mostly? How do deployments work for them? Do CTI's learn their language fluently for the most part? I'm currently in DEP for AECF, but have thought about taking the DLAB to try for CTI, so I appreciate any help!
Cobblestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #93
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

CTIs generally get stationed at NIOCs - Georgia, Maryland, Texas, or Hawaii depending on the language. We aren't stationed on ships, but can travel on them as direct support and can also become aircrew.

I can watch a Chinese tv show or read the news and understand 85% of what they say, but there are a lot of gaps in my knowledge.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #94
Cobblestone

Thanks!! If there are holds during the initial school for CTI, is it possible to take college classes to work towards a bachelors? (I already have an associates) For the SSBI, what do they do? My understanding is that they talk to a bunch of people you have known and not all of them are people you put down on the background investigation. I wasn't a bad kid, never in legal trouble (couldn't have worked in the dept. of corrections if I had been!), but I have known people in high school with questionable moral backgrounds. If someone decides to try to diss my name, they wouldn't automatically disqualify me, right? It seems like they would talk to me about the results they came up with
Old 09-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #95
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Realistically speaking your hold time will be 2 months at most, and juggling time for other classes with DLI would be very difficult to say the least. There's a chance, but it's a very small one.

CTT1 is better acquainted with the SSBI process than I am, but as far as I understand, they're not going to trust any one person implicitly.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #96
Cobblestone

Ok, thanks for the info!!
Old 09-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #97
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblestone View Post
For the SSBI, what do they do? My understanding is that they talk to a bunch of people you have known and not all of them are people you put down on the background investigation. I wasn't a bad kid, never in legal trouble (couldn't have worked in the dept. of corrections if I had been!), but I have known people in high school with questionable moral backgrounds. If someone decides to try to diss my name, they wouldn't automatically disqualify me, right? It seems like they would talk to me about the results they came up with
Cobblestone:

The people assigned to your case are seasoned investigators, they can tell who's worth trusting and who isn't. The reason they branch out on your contacts like that is to see if they can find anything you or your close circle of friends might not tell them. But they have a good sense for what's reliable and what isn't. They will also go over any issues or discrepancies with you to get some clarification.

So long story short, just be honest about everything and it will work itself out. They're looking at you, not some other person! If everything you tell them checks out then you'll be fine. Don't sweat it.

/r
CTT1
Old 09-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #98
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

I can't stress enough how much people freak out about the investigation cycle in DEP or in boot.

As long as you're honest and don't have anything to hide then you're gonna be fine. You'll see plenty of people freaking out or telling some kind of polygraph horror story, but 90% of those are either WAY exaggerated or just flat out fabrications.

/r
CTT1
Old 09-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #99
Cobblestone

Ok, thanks! I think I should be 100% fine then!
Old 09-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #100
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblestone View Post
Ok, thanks! I think I should be 100% fine then!
You will be. People make this process way more difficult than it needs to be haha

/r
CTT1

Tags
cryptologic, ctm, ctn, ctr, ctt