NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
Jeff

Jeff is on a distinguished road
Default Swim Test

From what I found online (so i have no idea how true it is) in order to pass the first class swim test, you'll first need a red cross lifesaving certificate. is this correct? or will certification be available on site? It also states there is a required 1 min back float after the 5 min prone float. how accurate is this information?
Old 08-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
JayMaple

JayMaple is on a distinguished road

i do not think that u need that for your rate just saying but idk more info is always good to have/know.
JayMaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
Jeff

Jeff is on a distinguished road

you are correct, it is not needed for my rate. but why not get it done? I can do everything required by the test, just want to be sure I have all needed certs in place. the same thing goes for the 900 division. It is not needed to graduate bootcamp, but I can do the required performance and I look forward to a few more experiences from the training. I am not one to perform any less than 100%. =)
Old 08-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
you are correct, it is not needed for my rate. but why not get it done? I can do everything required by the test, just want to be sure I have all needed certs in place. the same thing goes for the 900 division. It is not needed to graduate bootcamp, but I can do the required performance and I look forward to a few more experiences from the training. I am not one to perform any less than 100%. =)
If you don't need it for your job then your command probably isn't going to set aside the time and money it'll take for you to go get it. So just keep that in mind.

They want you to be good on the command line...not a great swimmer haha

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
ejrwelch
**Active Duty**

ejrwelch is on a distinguished road

They will let you do the second class swim test if they have enough time when you are at the pool so just speak up... the made me do it for my rate and told me I'd lose my rate if I failed (even though its not required)... needless to say I failed lmao.... so much stress and my forms already shot... but still here as a CTI. Anywho point is speak up! and if you get stationed some where that has people qual'd to do the second and first class swim test you may still be able to schedule (typically with the CFL office) or at least thats the option here and back home in VA.
ejrwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:22 PM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejrwelch View Post
They will let you do the second class swim test if they have enough time when you are at the pool so just speak up... the made me do it for my rate and told me I'd lose my rate if I failed (even though its not required)... needless to say I failed lmao.... so much stress and my forms already shot... but still here as a CTI. Anywho point is speak up! and if you get stationed some where that has people qual'd to do the second and first class swim test you may still be able to schedule (typically with the CFL office) or at least thats the option here and back home in VA.
Pretty much anywhere you go is going to have someone at least 2nd class qualed. That's not a hard one to get.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:46 PM   #7
blueice6102

blueice6102 is on a distinguished road

What happens if you cant swim at all?
blueice6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:19 PM   #8
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueice6102 View Post
What happens if you cant swim at all?
They have swim classes. I absolutely recommend you try to learn before basic though. It'll make your life SOOO much easier while you're there.

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:50 PM   #9
blueice6102

blueice6102 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzerAsp View Post
They have swim classes. I absolutely recommend you try to learn before basic though. It'll make your life SOOO much easier while you're there.
thanks. i will try & get some swim lessons asap.
blueice6102 is offline   Reply With Quote