NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold
Default No Longer Rumor - Female Hair Jan 2015

Beginning in January, there will be a test program allowing female recruits to NOT cut their hair, in order to learn proper hairstyles for the fleet.
The female hair regulations have also been updates.

I'll post the links later, but in the meantime, you can find them on All Hands Magazine.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

...you beat me to the thread!!!!!! Maybe you can delete my post..

Here is the details:
"Beginning January 2015, Naval Service Training Command (NSTC) will initiate a pilot program to cease mandatory female haircuts at Recruit Training Command (RTC) and Officer Training Command (OTC). The pilot was established after receiving feedback that junior Sailors and officers are not taught proper grooming standards during their initial training. Grooming standards education will be incorporated into the curriculum, but will not impact other training. This will allow women to style longer hair in the same manner that they would wear it daily in the Fleet while providing the opportunity to demonstrate their understanding of the standards before transferring to the Fleet. If desired, women will still have the opportunity to cut their hair upon arrival and during training at RTC and OTC"

Read it for yourselfs.
and the link http://www.navy.mil/ah_online/ftrSto...sue=3&id=84782

Hyman G. Rickover

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Winston Churchill
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
BethanySmith

BethanySmith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Beginning in January, there will be a test program allowing female recruits to NOT cut their hair, in order to learn proper hairstyles for the fleet.
The female hair regulations have also been updates.

I'll post the links later, but in the meantime, you can find them on All Hands Magazine.
I had just read that... How long do the test programs last for and how long do you think till its permanent I leave 20150428
BethanySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
Raca1234
**Active Duty**

Raca1234 is on a distinguished road

I leave 20150203, What do you think the test program will achieve? Do you think the test program will last that long? Final question: Do you think they'll end up giving female recruits a little longer in the morning for grooming?
Raca1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

I'll have to do a little more research, but these tests usually last several months before they are approved. However it may be like the new uniforms where they have a test group (only certain divisions), before they roll it out to everyone.

It really shouldn't add any extra time. I can get my hair in regs in under a minute. It's not hard.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
BethanySmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raca1234 View Post
I leave 20150203, What do you think the test program will achieve? Do you think the test program will last that long? Final question: Do you think they'll end up giving female recruits a little longer in the morning for grooming?
I emailed them and got this response be aware i leave 20150428
"Good afternoon shipmate,
Thanks for your inquiry. The RTC/OTC female hair pilot doesn't have a definite end date; ideally, if it goes well, we hope that it will be a permanent change; however, only time will tell that. So in short, I don't have a good, definite answer for you. Our plan right now is to have that hair pilot still in place when you're expected to be there, but that could always change.

I hope that helps; please let me know if you have any further questions/concerns. Thanks,"
Old 12-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #7
NavyKitten

NavyKitten is on a distinguished road

This is seriously the best day ever. I was literally going to get a pixie cut after christmas to see what my hair does when short. I needed to learn to tame the inevitable poofball, and now I don't have to! YAY
NavyKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
chemelle1

chemelle1 is on a distinguished road

Ask and we shall receive!
chemelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
Atom_breaker

I think I would still cut my hair. Otherwise if you're not in the pilot, you'll be one of the recruits walking around with the very obvious Nex haircut. But I hope it becomes a permanent change, RTC is to far seperated from what the rest of the Navy actually is.. When it comes to uniforms and personal grooming that is..

Hyman G. Rickover

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Winston Churchill
Old 12-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
squid.life

squid.life is on a distinguished road

So girls dont have to cut their hair by guys have to get shaved? Why can't I show up with a fade high and tight on top and call it good then? Good luck head crew dealing with all that hair.
squid.life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #11
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid.life View Post
So girls dont have to cut their hair by guys have to get shaved? Why can't I show up with a fade high and tight on top and call it good then? Good luck head crew dealing with all that hair.
Let's go back to the days of the beards...

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #12
BethanySmith

Quote:
They're not changing much honestly. A lot of females that have long hair in the Navy wear buns.They're just making it so you can learn how to manage long hair once it grows out on fleet.It's not like we can have different colors and pony tails and all that stuff.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #13
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

My only concern will be if many of the females seem to need a lot more time to get ready in the morning...so if you hope to be in one of the test groups and have long hair...I would PRACTISE NOW...make sure you can get it right in like 2 minutes!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #14
Navy1013
**Active Duty**

Navy1013 will become famous soon enough

I heard the first haircut for guys is shaved but after that you can get a high and tight.
Navy1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #15
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy1013 View Post
I heard the first haircut for guys is shaved but after that you can get a high and tight.
Or you could not be a Marine and get a normal haircut.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:48 AM   #16
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

Shun the non believer I rocked a high and tight for years.
BloodyPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #17
squid.life

squid.life is on a distinguished road

Love the high and tight. Maybe not total Marine status, but, the ladies love it.
squid.life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #18
Quartermaster

Quartermaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'll have to do a little more research, but these tests usually last several months before they are approved. However it may be like the new uniforms where they have a test group (only certain divisions), before they roll it out to everyone.

It really shouldn't add any extra time. I can get my hair in regs in under a minute. It's not hard.
How do you do it??? Please share your secrets with me!
Old 12-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #19
sweetmtn

Hey Guppy, maybe you can make a video of you getting your hair in regs for these girls to practice with!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #20
navycatmc

navycatmc will become famous soon enough

I hope it lasts a while, I don't leave until 20140401!

"To live will be an awfully big adventure." -Peter Pan
navycatmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #21
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Love the high and tight. Maybe not total Marine status, but, the ladies love it.
You go through NACCS and get a lot of time around Marines, and you'll learn to hate the look... lol.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #22
Atom_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
Or you could not be a Marine and get a normal haircut.

Hyman G. Rickover

Winston Churchill
Old 12-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #23
Raca1234
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethanySmith View Post
I emailed them and got this response be aware i leave 20150428
"Good afternoon shipmate,
Thanks for your inquiry. The RTC/OTC female hair pilot doesn't have a definite end date; ideally, if it goes well, we hope that it will be a permanent change; however, only time will tell that. So in short, I don't have a good, definite answer for you. Our plan right now is to have that hair pilot still in place when you're expected to be there, but that could always change.

I hope that helps; please let me know if you have any further questions/concerns. Thanks,"
I truly do hope we get there and it still stands, I'd hate for us females not cut our hair, then they tell us they've changed it and butcher our hair. Mine takes forever to grow back, even when it's healthy.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #24
sweetmtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
You go through NACCS and get a lot of time around Marines, and you'll learn to hate the look... lol.
'
Not nice! lol....my boys both had high and tights all their lives, and still do...well my oldest is still in the army and has to. But my youngest that was in the navy always had his high and tight, even now out he still keeps it high and tight, but he added a beard!

Old 01-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #25
nast

nast is on a distinguished road

Sorry to be negative but I have to be.
So, I had my own haircut before left to the bootcamp. I had nice long hair.
In the bootcamp I saw afroamericans (the girls) don't have to cut their hair. They were even allowed to have WIG on the top of their hair so no one really saw how their own hair long. They don't even washed their head regurarly and they had a terrible smell. (we were required to shower every single day, etc so the Navy put attention for that)
I think it's a positive discrimination for them. Can't believe it
(other thing that few of them had their nature look fake nail during all the time, no one asked them to remove it.)
nast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #26
chemelle1

chemelle1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast View Post
Sorry to be negative but I have to be.
So, I had my own haircut before left to the bootcamp. I had nice long hair.
In the bootcamp I saw afroamericans (the girls) don't have to cut their hair. They were even allowed to have WIG on the top of their hair so no one really saw how their own hair long. They don't even washed their head regurarly and they had a terrible smell. (we were required to shower every single day, etc so the Navy put attention for that)
I think it's a positive discrimination for them. Can't believe it
(other thing that few of them had their nature look fake nail during all the time, no one asked them to remove it.)
1st: AfroAmerican is not the term. It's African American. It's not hard to remember.
2nd: African American women (probably) aren't required to cut their afro's because our hair grows up instead of down. An afro would have to be pretty large in order to break the "no hair below the collar" rule. That being said, Afro's can't be longer that two inches from the scalp. So if I showed up to RTC with an afro longer than that, I'd have to cut it.

I realize that it's at the discretion of the RDC's to determine the actual length of the afro, but African American women still have their own hair rules to adhere to at RTC.

As for wigs/sew-ins, I'm pretty sure they still have to adhere to the regular standard of cut above the collar. Anyone can wear a wig and hide their hair length, so I'm not sure how that's "positive discrimination"

I am sorry that you had to deal with a "terrible smell". African American women generally don't wash their hair as much as women from other ethnicities. So I'm sure that, coupled with sweat from working out only exacerbated the problem.
chemelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:01 AM   #27
nast

nast is on a distinguished road

Don't want to hurt your feelings.
nast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:09 AM   #28
NavyKitten

NavyKitten is on a distinguished road

I heard that the pilot program for new RTC hair regs for females is ending March 31, and I leave April 1. Does anyone know how true this is? I don't want to not cut my hair and then have them give me a haircut when I get there. I would rather just cut my hair if I have to before I get there.
NavyKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:15 PM   #29
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyKitten View Post
I heard that the pilot program for new RTC hair regs for females is ending March 31, and I leave April 1. Does anyone know how true this is? I don't want to not cut my hair and then have them give me a haircut when I get there. I would rather just cut my hair if I have to before I get there.
That's what all the announcements I've read have indicated. Sounds like they're doing it for one training group, then they're going to evaluate the results and decide whether to adopt the program as-is, modify, or abandon it all-together.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #30
MarchSailor

MarchSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyKitten View Post
I've been hearing that it's only from January to March and then after that they'll decide if it'll be extended or not.
MarchSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #31
WarriorQueen

WarriorQueen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
Hey Guppy, maybe you can make a video of you getting your hair in regs for these girls to practice with!
I second this!! I would LOVE to be able to practice before I leave. If no one can make a video, links to videos that have already been made would be appreciated a lot!
Old 03-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #32
LT Guppy

I completely forgot sweet to asked me to do that, sorry. I'll try to put something together this weekend.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #33
WarriorQueen

WarriorQueen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I completely forgot sweet to asked me to do that, sorry. I'll try to put something together this weekend.
Awesome! Much appreciated!
Old 08-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #34
Ashlm

Ashlm is on a distinguished road
Default Grooming

So I'm in the process of joining the navy and I got to MEPS in a couple days. I had a question about grooming matters. I like to dye my hair. It's naturally a really light brown but I like to dye it blonde (I think it's more flattering for me) my question is, will I still be able to dye it while I'm in the navy?
Ashlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:12 AM   #35
Raca1234
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlm View Post
So I'm in the process of joining the navy and I got to MEPS in a couple days. I had a question about grooming matters. I like to dye my hair. It's naturally a really light brown but I like to dye it blonde (I think it's more flattering for me) my question is, will I still be able to dye it while I'm in the navy?
So you won't be able to dye it in bootcamp, unless your rdc makes you, so if you want to dye it I would wait until after. As long as it looks natural and not bleached or anything you'll be fine.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #36
Ashlm

Ashlm is on a distinguished road

It's already dyed, that was my whole thing. It's all blonde, like a golden blonde. So should I go to a stylist and have them put some brown in it to make it look more natural?
Ashlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #37
Raca1234
**Active Duty**

Have your recruiter look at it and see what they say. One of the girls that was with me when I went had her hair dyed, then halfway through they made her dye it dark brown because her blonde started fading. So if you keep it dyed, just make sure you get it dyed again right before you leave. You won't have enough space to keep good shampoo and conditioner, I used dove two in one, or just got travel sized all throughout boot.