NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp > Back From Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
nick93

nick93 is on a distinguished road
Default Here to help

Hey guys I used this site ALOT before I left for the navy. I graduated this past January and haven't had Much time to get back on here. I have graduated a school and have been in the fleet for a few months. If anyone has any questions about bootcamp a school or the fleet don't hesitate to ask. I really want to help out like everyone else did for me before I left. I'll try and get on here as much as I can to answer some questions give advice etc...
nick93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
nick93

Btw I am udesignated airman (a-pact). So if you have questions about any pact jobs I can deff help you since I am going thru it right now. I know a lot about aviation jobs and have a few friends in other depts. like I said ask anything.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
ILR316

ILR316

Hi, im reporting to san diego next tuesday, can you tell me what happens when you arrive to you report to your first command? Thanks
ILR316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
nick93

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILR316 View Post
Hi, im reporting to san diego next tuesday, can you tell me what happens when you arrive to you report to your first command? Thanks
Hey I just got back from San Diego a few weeks ago. Which ship are you on?

As far as reporting. You show up in your dress whites and go to the quarterdeck. You will most likely get picked up at the main gate by the duty driver and brought to the boat. Someone from your division (usually a first class) will meet you at the quarterdeck and take you where you need to go. You will probably be going to drop your stuff in the berthing and get assigned a rack. Then you will go to your division office and check in and they will explain everything to you as far as your ships check in policy. Hopefully you have talked to your sponsor. If not you will meet him there or be assigned a new one.

San Diego is beautiful. I was just there a few weeks ago and spent the whole time at the beach
Old 05-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
ILR316

ILR316

Im on the USS Ship. Do you know anything about finding a place to stay because im married and was told i can move my wife out there when i find an apartment. I was married after bc which is why shes not moving with me at first.Also, im very nervous about this big change, is everyone helpful towards you while your learning to adjust?

Last edited by LT Guppy; 05-30-2014 at 06:49 PM. Reason: PERSEC/OPSEC
ILR316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
Nicknyte
**Active Duty**

Nicknyte is a name known to allNicknyte is a name known to allNicknyte is a name known to all

Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but please keep responses on which ships sailors are on to an OPSEC level. I am hardcore about my OPSEC. :D

EDIT: Thank you Guppy.

NUKE WAIVER SIGNED: 20140904
SHIPDATE: 20150128
GRADUATION: 20150206
ASCHOOL GRADUATION: 20150925

Let me know if you have any questions on the pipeline! -ETN3 Nicknyte

Last edited by Nicknyte; 05-30-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Nicknyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicknyte View Post
Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but please keep responses on which ships sailors are on to an OPSEC level. I am hardcore about my OPSEC. :D

EDIT: Thank you Guppy.
If you ever see anything like that, please don't hesitate to report the post. That way I'm less likely to miss it.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #8
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
If you ever see anything like that, please don't hesitate to report the post. That way I'm less likely to miss it.
I was like "USS Ship" what the hell is that, then I noticed it was edited for OPSEC. y'all totally threw me off for a minute.. Welcome back nick93! How was liberty weekend when you graduated boot? What day did you fly to you a school? How much time did you have in the city?
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:45 AM   #9
NewAdventures

NewAdventures is on a distinguished road

For the swim test at basic is it looked down upon if you dont swim the 500? My recruiter told me that I could do something else for twelve minutes but im scared that it will look bad. Also did you practice a prone float? I cant seem to hold my breathe under water, are you allowed to hold your head up?
NewAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #10
nick93

Quote:
Im on the USS Ship. Do you know anything about finding a place to stay because im married and was told i can move my wife out there when i find an apartment. I was married after bc which is why shes not moving with me at first.Also, im very nervous about this big change, is everyone helpful towards you while your learning to adjust?
hey sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

as far as moving your wife out there you can bring her out. my advice would be report to the ship by yourself and get your check in stuff done. then take some time after work and go look at a few apartment places in the area. when you do find a place and get the keys have her fly out and you and her can live in the apartment. its that easy. i recently just got an apartment with a friend of mine. we signed the lease and his wife flew out a week after that. my wife will be coming out here in september.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #11
nick93

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAdventures View Post
For the swim test at basic is it looked down upon if you dont swim the 500? My recruiter told me that I could do something else for twelve minutes but im scared that it will look bad. Also did you practice a prone float? I cant seem to hold my breathe under water, are you allowed to hold your head up?

the biggest problem i had with the swim test was jumping off the platform. its maybe 10 feet up but im scared of hieghts lol i got over that fast. they are gonna have you line up and two at a time stand on the edge of the platform with your toes right on the edge. you cross your arms and they count to 3 and give a little push and you jump in. all you have to do is make it to the other side of the pool and you pass. you can do pretty much any stroke you want as long as you dont go under the water. youll be suprised how may people join the navy and cant swim. if for whatever reason you dont pass you will be able to go to try it again until you pass. if you dont youll be held back from your division. we lost one guy due to that. everyone else that couldnt swim was able to pass eventually.

for the prone float this i just floated and counted to 10 and picked my head up for a few minutes and did it again until they told me to get out. again if you have problems they will being you back almost everyday to teach you and make sure you pass. just give it your best shot. i dont think that youll have anything to worry about. they will make sure you get the help you need and pass.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
nick93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom_breaker View Post
I was like "USS Ship" what the hell is that, then I noticed it was edited for OPSEC. y'all totally threw me off for a minute.. Welcome back nick93! How was liberty weekend when you graduated boot? What day did you fly to you a school? How much time did you have in the city?
thanks. its kinda nice to be back too!!

i flew to a school at about 3 am saturday morning. so i got a few hours after graduation to spend with my fiance and family and then i met them at the airport. you will only get the whole weekend if your a school is in great lakes. for everyone who is not going to great lakes youll leave bootcamp that night at a completely random hour. i left at 3 am and my flight wasnt until 130 the next day lol.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #13
nick93

Quote:
and yes just talk to your lpo and the sailors you are with will have lots of good ideas and information about the area. the navy housing office and fleet and family center are awsome tools to help both you and your wife make the move and adjust to the new area. they will get help her with employment and everything. please use them they are the best.