NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp > Back From Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 10-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
RCCIV

RCCIV is on a distinguished road
Default Graduated oct 4th, now in pcola

Yup, like the title says, I graduate october 4th. I was division 376 and bootcamp was a great experience even on the hard day. The good days start after week 3, forget about being an individual and work as a team and you will be okay. ***IF you are not in shape before bootcamp, get in shape now instead of slowing down your division once you get there***

Ask any questions you have. Easiest job to get in the division is the Mail P.O. and I was that... So much fun haha.

AME Chatfield
RCCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
bronxCTM

bronxCTM is on a distinguished road

Congratulations!

Do you get any perks for being recruit POs? I was looking through the START guide and the damage control RPO and mail RPO looked the easiest.

And since I will be in Pensacola for my "A" School, ugh how's is the hurricane weather holding up for ya?
bronxCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
gman022601

gman022601 is on a distinguished road

Were there any older people in your division and how was it for them? I ship 20131104 and am 32. I am in shape, and have a very disciplined paramilitary career that depends on teamwork. I would like to think I'd be just fine, just wanted another opinion from a recent graduate. Btw Congratulations!
gman022601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
RockyFin

RockyFin is on a distinguished road

I currently don't ship out till April of 2014 and i've heard and read a lot about the PT and i just wanted to know What should i do to prepare for PT. I currenly got to the gym for an hour or 2 everyday but mostly just work on running and swimming.
RockyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyFin View Post
I currently don't ship out till April of 2014 and i've heard and read a lot about the PT and i just wanted to know What should i do to prepare for PT. I currenly got to the gym for an hour or 2 everyday but mostly just work on running and swimming.
CE is a Seabee rating, right? Forget RTC PT... prep for Seabee PT! I've got a buddy who got dropped from Aircrew and re-rated into a Seabee rating; their A School PT was a lot of long-distance running... upwards to 6 miles on some days.

In general, I've found that core and upper body strength can be improved easily if given the proper motivation... but if you're not a good runner, and you're thrown into a running-intensive regiment, then you're likely going to end up with injuries as a result. I've never seen someone who's bad at push-ups get injured trying to do push-ups... but I've seen numerous people who were bad at running get injured trying to run more.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
tiffanynacole

tiffanynacole is on a distinguished road

i work on a seabee base right now and these poor guys run like crazy. three days a week and 5-6 miles every time. ive never dreamed of running that far. i thought a mile and a half was long lol
Old 10-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
RockyFin

RockyFin is on a distinguished road

Well i use to run 10 miles a day but that was about 6 years ago hehe. I still do 3-4 daily right now
RockyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
USNADrs

USNADrs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxCTM View Post
Congratulations!

Do you get any perks for being recruit POs? I was looking through the START guide and the damage control RPO and mail RPO looked the easiest.

And since I will be in Pensacola for my "A" School, ugh how's is the hurricane weather holding up for ya?
We only got 5 minutes of hard rain last Sunday when the hurricane was suppose to hit.
RCCIV, which barracks are you in? I'm in Alpha...the best barracks on base!
USNADrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #9
RCCIV

I'm in Gduuuuuub!

AME Chatfield
Old 10-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
RCCIV

I didn't find that being a Mail PO got me any "real" perks like promotion or anything, I just got to leave around 1700-1900 to sort the mail which was nice sometimes. In my division there were no "damage control" PO's.... there was just RPOC,AROC,RMAA(fem),RMAA(male), Section leaders(folding clothes PO) and starboard/port watch. If you have good attention to detail and are looking for a promotion but don't want to take as much heat as the RPOC/AROC take, try to be starboard watch or a top notch section leader. My buddy was starboard watch and he started out boot as an e-1 and left as an e-3. Passed the 1st test (which is a jooooooke) and then got a promotion for having a really on spot deck log

For the old guy: yes, there was a 29 year old and no doubt about it he was old, but he kept up. During the PFA you will be running at your own age related times, which is like 14:30 mile and a half. You'll be fine

General tips for bootcamp: Dont be the know it all, Don't be a dick to your shipmates and just take it one day at a time. It's not super hard.

AME Chatfield
Old 10-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCIV View Post
I'm in Gduuuuuub!
You just got there and are already in GW? Are you just that awesome, or did they finally turn it back into regular barracks?

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
bronxCTM

bronxCTM is on a distinguished road

5 minutes hard rain...that's about what I get when hurricanes creep up to where I am in central VA.

So really only starboard/port leaders get promoted (and I guess the RCPO and RPO would too)? Well I wouldn't mind being a PO for some of those positions.

Also...Happy Birthday Navy!!
bronxCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxCTM View Post
5 minutes hard rain...that's about what I get when hurricanes creep up to where I am in central VA.

So really only starboard/port leaders get promoted (and I guess the RCPO and RPO would too)? Well I wouldn't mind being a PO for some of those positions.

Also...Happy Birthday Navy!!
Nah, not just them, I've heard of yeomans and LPOs/HPOs too. And even some who didn't have a leadership position at all. The RDCs will promote the people that they think do the best job, are the most motivated/capable etc. Being in a position like RCPO, yeoman or Starboard watch (not so much Port, they're generally secondary) simply gives more opportunities for the RDCs to see your merit. If you get one of those jobs and are decent but not outstanding you'll still get passed over.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:37 AM   #14
Temen
**Active Duty**

Temen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
You just got there and are already in GW? Are you just that awesome, or did they finally turn it back into regular barracks?
Which one is the GW? I was in Foxtrot, I can't remember it's ship name for the life of me. If it's Foxtrot though, I know they really changed it at the end of February 2012 when I left. It turned into more like a C-School barracks. So I wouldn't doubt if someone messed that up and it's now back to a regular barracks.

Congrats jzhaun and welcome to Naval Aviation! AMEs for F-18s are much needed in these parts of California. I hope you enjoy Pensacola while you can.

In my experience, anyone can be promoted. I was the Dental Yeoman, and I got promoted. Being part of the division staff has it's benefits because you have more attention. When you do good it's more noticeable, but when you mess up (or the recruits you are supposed to be in charge of mess up) you really are in the spot light.

As long as you shut up, follow orders AS GIVEN, and be a TEAM player, you should be fine. Study hard and get the most out of the PT sessions as you can. You're there to learn military discipline and how to work as a team. Your career will see that you are in the middle of the ocean, stuck on a metal island. The only people you have around you are fellow sailors, you have to be able to work as a team with people you absolutely hate being around.
Temen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
John213AV

John213AV is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCIV View Post
I'm in Gduuuuuub!

Dude I'm in G DUUUB too lol. Room 295 give it a knock
John213AV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #16
military bratt

military bratt is on a distinguished road

So I'm not the greatest with running since I smoke and all I'm trying to quit before I leave because I know it will be hell but I know I have almost perfect pft scores other than that I have heard two things about this... If you show enough effort they will hold you if you don't make the run by the last pft or they just kick you out... I am trying to run more but does your running get a lot better when your there? Is it easier to run with other ppl so you know what pace to run at. Any advice on this subject by any one would be much appreciated. That is the biggest stress I have I know what I need to know I'm good at being a sheep (shutting up and listening to who I need to) And I was raised in a strict environment so I have no other worries I just am scared to get kicked for that.
military bratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #17
John213AV

John213AV is on a distinguished road

The only PFT that counts is the last one...however if you guys get like over a 90% pass rating on the second PFT then you get an athletic flag, so DONT BE that guy who fails and u loose the flag!

Back to your original question.

When running, everyone wears a lil tracker on their ankle. The timer starts for you when you pass the line that picks up the tracker. There is a TV at the start line so each time you pass you can see how many laps you have run and your pace. Theres a big digital clock to so you can tell what your time is about. Your Petty Officer may decide to run an Alpha male pace and keep you guys from stopping, however thats about all they can do. If you fail your last PFA for whatever reason ( The Run ) You will be on hold. They will not kick you out, but you won't graduate and you will have to do the whole thing over again situps, pushups and run until you pass it. One kid from our division missed the run by 13 seconds. He got sent to another compartment. He didn't graduate with us.

If you get sent away, you basically PT a lot until you pass. You have like a few MONTHS to finally pass it, so don't sweat it.
John213AV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #18
military bratt

military bratt is on a distinguished road

Thank you So much that's exactly what I wanted tO know. Although I'll do everything to not be put in that situation
military bratt is offline   Reply With Quote