NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp > Back From Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 09-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
USNADrs

USNADrs is on a distinguished road
Default Newly Graduated Sailor! Ask Any Questions!

I graduated RTC on September 6th. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask! I will not answer any questions about Battle Stations!
USNADrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
aaaaveee

aaaaveee is on a distinguished road

I just got my braces off last month. Can I bring my retainers to boot camp? Thank you.
aaaaveee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
USNADrs

Yes you can! Plenty of the recruits had retainers.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
Luckiethirteen

Luckiethirteen is on a distinguished road

So what would be your best advice to people about to head off to RTC?
Luckiethirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
Nawwz

Nawwz is on a distinguished road

Congrats, OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaveee View Post
I just got my braces off last month. Can I bring my retainers to boot camp? Thank you.
You beat me to it! I hope we'll have time to rinse them in the morning, otherwise they get nasty.
Nawwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
USNADrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiethirteen View Post
So what would be your best advice to people about to head off to RTC?
Best advice? Shut up and do what you're told. Also wake up one hour before REV so your DIV can get into the uniform of the day and stick down the compartment.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
phay22HM

phay22HM is on a distinguished road

Do they still cut hair? Your allowed to keep your phones? Do they still "degrade you", ACTUAL cuss words, and Knife hand?
phay22HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
USNADrs

Yes they cut your hair. They cut it 3 times while at bootcamp for males. The RDC's can cuss at you but they cannot degrade you with cuss words. I have no clue what you mean by knife hand? Don't sweat boot camp. It's really easy and time flies by after the 2nd week.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
nick93

nick93 is on a distinguished road

what is the physical exam like when you get there? similar to meps?
nick93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNADrs View Post
I have no clue what you mean by knife hand?
You don't know of knife hands? What the hell are they teaching the blue-ropes up there in Great Lakes these days!?

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
RayGunnersMate

RayGunnersMate is on a distinguished road
Default Hey

Quote:
Best advice? Shut up and do what you're told. Also wake up one hour before REV so your DIV can get into the uniform of the day and stick down the compartment.
How did you get up an hour before? Are you allowed to use an alarm?
RayGunnersMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
phay22HM

phay22HM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes they cut your hair. They cut it 3 times while at bootcamp for males. The RDC's can cuss at you but they cannot degrade you with cuss words. I have no clue what you mean by knife hand? Don't sweat boot camp. It's really easy and time flies by after the 2nd week.
I'm not worried about boot camp at all. That's the sad part. It just has seems to be getting weaker and weaker as the months/years go on. Thanks to the way certain groups want the NAVY to be portrayed. I hope they still do a few things that are intense. I ship out in 8 days and I'm hoping for some type of "excitement"! lol
phay22HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
Kyledmorgan

Kyledmorgan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGunnersMate View Post
We actually talked about this in our DEP meeting tonight. Whomever is on watch will go around and wake everyone up prior to the RDC's coming in for rev
Kyledmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #14
nick93

nick93 is on a distinguished road

ive memorized my general orders, rtc maxim, sailors creed mission of the navy, alphabet, and rank and recognition. is there anything else that is recommended knowing for rtc? if i have to ill memorize the entire start guide, but i know that alot of it is learned in bootcamp.

and how easy is it to get advanced?
nick93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #15
aecfjohnnydep

aecfjohnnydep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick93 View Post
ive memorized my general orders, rtc maxim, sailors creed mission of the navy, alphabet, and rank and recognition. is there anything else that is recommended knowing for rtc? if i have to ill memorize the entire start guide, but i know that alot of it is learned in bootcamp.

and how easy is it to get advanced?
i graduated august 30th. memorize all that and you'll be fine. mission of the navy doesn't matter really. creed, orders, and recognition is the most important. and the better shape you're in the easier the entire experience will be.

if you know that stuff really well you will easily learn the chain of command in p-days, and then you can get to the other stuff like learning about ships and aircraft. you will have plenty of time to study that stuff.
aecfjohnnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #16
Mparker181

Mparker181 is on a distinguished road

How was the gas chamber?
Mparker181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #17
aecfjohnnydep

aecfjohnnydep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick93 View Post
what is the physical exam like when you get there? similar to meps?
we didn't get another physical like at meps (unless you were nuke or aircrew or swcc, i think. in which case they got a pretty thorough exam).
it's pretty much shots and hearing/eye exams. but the flexibility/ range of motion type stuff we didn't do.
aecfjohnnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #18
USNADrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGunnersMate View Post
Tell the recruit on watch at 0400 to 0600 to wake you guys up an hour early before REV.

But yes, bootcamp, battle stations, gas chamber, and hell week was a joke. Pretty much everything you do in boot camp is a joke.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #19
RayGunnersMate

Quote:
Tell the recruit on watch at 0400 to 0600 to wake you guys up an hour early before REV.

But yes, bootcamp, battle stations, gas chamber, and hell week was a joke. Pretty much everything you do in boot camp is a joke.
I heard no gas chamber in the winter
Old 09-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #20
Mparker181

Mparker181 is on a distinguished road

No gas chamber in winter?
Mparker181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #21
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Gas chamber is inside, I don't think the season makes a difference. I did it in March, the rest of my division did in January.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #22
RayGunnersMate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
Gas chamber is inside, I don't think the season makes a difference. I did it in March, the rest of my division did in January.
In dep meeting the told us that forgot the reason why though,I'll ask again and follow up
Old 09-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #23
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

We did it all inside when I went through... during summer months, they let you walk outside to "air out" afterward.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #24
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

Gas chamber is for everyone all seasons. I did mine in November, but instead of airing out outside, we aired out in the classroom.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #25
USNADrs

Everyone will do the gas chamber. You have to know how to deal with a CBR attack. We aired out in the classroom.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #26
socrates

socrates is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Everyone will do the gas chamber. You have to know how to deal with a CBR attack. We aired out in the classroom.
FALSE. This is new, but if heat condition is set to black on the scheduled day for your gas chamber "experience" then you will not have to do it. Lucky or unlucky, depends on your perspective but the sodium in your sweat will react with the tear gas to amplify it's effects.

I graduated 3 weeks ago and was personally very upset that our division was not allowed to preform this right of passage.
socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #27
proudmama

proudmama is on a distinguished road

wow- I also heard the new recruits get sleep on their first night there too now- Not sure how true it is.
proudmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #28
Nawwz

Nawwz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes you can! Plenty of the recruits had retainers.
Sorry to revisit a previous question, but I wanted to know if this has to be a "pre-existing" something-or-another. In other words, would the need for retainers have to be declared in any kind of paperwork (MEPS medical docs or otherwise) before leaving for bootcamp? I remember my recruiter having me make a note on one of the first documents I filled out, but haven't been asked about it or seen anything regarding that since.

There's something else that's been bothering me as well. Is it true that it only takes the Navy 1-2 weeks to have all your past medical documents? The reason I ask is, I recently recalled a visit to the doctor in my freshman year of high school (which has been over 5 years) in order to get a physical done; it was part of the admission process. Then I also remembered that before I got my braces on, I had to visit an oral surgeon to get a tooth taken out of my gums.

Should I be worried about that surfacing any time in the future? My recruiter says no, but I figured I should look for a second opinion. I just don't want to be discharged for fraudulent enlistment later on.
Nawwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #29
FinnTheHuman

FinnTheHuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawwz View Post
Sorry to revisit a previous question, but I wanted to know if this has to be a "pre-existing" something-or-another. In other words, would the need for retainers have to be declared in any kind of paperwork (MEPS medical docs or otherwise) before leaving for bootcamp? I remember my recruiter having me make a note on one of the first documents I filled out, but haven't been asked about it or seen anything regarding that since.

There's something else that's been bothering me as well. Is it true that it only takes the Navy 1-2 weeks to have all your past medical documents? The reason I ask is, I recently recalled a visit to the doctor in my freshman year of high school (which has been over 5 years) in order to get a physical done; it was part of the admission process. Then I also remembered that before I got my braces on, I had to visit an oral surgeon to get a tooth taken out of my gums.

Should I be worried about that surfacing any time in the future? My recruiter says no, but I figured I should look for a second opinion. I just don't want to be discharged for fraudulent enlistment later on.
First question is a maybe, I have a perm-retainer on my bottom teeth and I know didn't need to be listed but "temporary" retainers might.

As for the second part, to my knowledge they don't get all your medical history. They pull medical docs based on the info you provided them but getting every bit of medical history on you would take a lot of time and money for what in most cases would end up giving no useful information (plus lots of medical documents are lost/destroyed/otherwise unobtainable). I may be wrong on this though.

I think I've heard of the military looking into any possible med docs if you ever get injured. Say you hurt you knee, they might skim for medical history, for anything related to said knee.... Whole Fraudulent Enlistment situation.
FinnTheHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #30
socrates

socrates is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
wow- I also heard the new recruits get sleep on their first night there too now- Not sure how true it is.
We were not allowed to sleep the first night. And many of us (myself included) had watch the second night.
socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #31
RockyFin

RockyFin is on a distinguished road

I currently don't ship out till April of 2014 and i've heard and read a lot about the PT and i just wanted to know What should i do to prepare for PT. I currenly got to the gym for an hour or 2 everyday but mostly just work on running and swimming.
RockyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #32
JeniYrttima

JeniYrttima is on a distinguished road

Everybody wants to know what all the physcially d3emanding things are. What I want to know is: how do you overcome the missing home, how do you get over the irritaion when they yell at you, how often do they let you call, how it is when you are being isssued your gear, how it is like going to the NEX for the first time. Small things like that, Boot camp is just the beginning. It isnt to make people frightened, but to weed out the people who are not meant for the United States Navy.
JeniYrttima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #33
coddington

coddington is on a distinguished road

Is getting a leadership position the best way to get advanced in basic? I'm going in as a E-1.
coddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #34
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by coddington View Post
Is getting a leadership position the best way to get advanced in basic? I'm going in as a E-1.
That is no guarantee at all..the best way is to pass your first tests when you first get to boot. (ie, book knowledge and physical)

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #35
Mrs_Breen

Mrs_Breen is on a distinguished road

Do you get the weekend off after graduation to spend with family if your "A' school is out of the Great Lakes area?
Mrs_Breen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #36
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Depending on where they are going (and how lucky they are) they get a couple hours or the whole weekend off before reporting to their next command.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #37
Kyledmorgan

So since I will repot to San Antonio for HM school there is a good chance I will fly there Friday afternoon?
Old 10-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #38
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Breen View Post
Do you get the weekend off after graduation to spend with family if your "A' school is out of the Great Lakes area?
He'll graduate at 10am on Friday and be released on liberty around 11am and have until ~7:30pm that night before he has to be back... he'll then leave RTC for the airport between midnight and 6am Saturday morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyledmorgan View Post
So since I will repot to San Antonio for HM school there is a good chance I will fly there Friday afternoon?
Nobody flies out Friday afternoon... all divisions are on Grad Liberty with family until ~1930.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #39
Kyledmorgan

Thanks man, I appreciate all of the info.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #40
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post

Nobody flies out Friday afternoon... all divisions are on Grad Liberty with family until ~1930.
Just curious, do you know when they changed that?

Old 10-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #41
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
Just curious, do you know when they changed that?
It was like that for a while before I went through... and as budget cuts closed ships and reduced staffing, the ability to keep graduates through the weekend went away as well.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #42
Gizmo007

Gizmo007 is on a distinguished road

What ribbons can you get while in basic? What's the most you can get?
Gizmo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #43
LT Guppy

Everyone gets the National Defense Ribbon.
You also have an opportunity to get a Pistol (Marksman, Sharpshooter, or Expert) Ribbon.