NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp > Back From Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-25-2018, 07:16 PM   #1
wildermind312

wildermind312 is on a distinguished road
Default New Sailor!

Hey guys!

I just graduated from RTC on November 21st, 2018! I'm still currently in Great Lakes for FC A-School.

Feel free to ask me any questions you guys have about boot camp. I'm happy to help!
wildermind312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:32 PM   #2
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

Congratulations shipmate! So, I’m a recruiter. And I like to give my deppers the cold hard truth about boot camp. It’s been a minute since I was there and I know it’s changed quite a bit. So let me ask you, what are some things you wish you knew before you arrived there? What should I fill my deppers in on?
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #3
wildermind312

wildermind312 is on a distinguished road

Tell them to be more mentally and emotionally prepared. Boot camp for me was 80% mental. If they can push through those mental barriers, they will be able to do anything. As always, pay attention to detail and don't be scared to ask fellow recruits for help. Do not be a snitch for stupid stuff. Basically, don't screw your shipmates over. Listen to your chain of command and use it. Come physically fit enough to at least pass the baseline, and push yourself during the PT if you need to improve. Don't get caught up in the drama and try not to fight with each other (this goes mostly for the females). You will get beat, you will get verbally torn down. It's part of the process. TRUST THE PROCESS. And put your best effort in. Don't try to get on your RDC's "Good side" because they usually don't have one. Mine sure didn't.

The learning has become a lot more hands on. More of a focus on line handling and firefighting and basic seamanship in general. Less classroom time. In fact, I don't remember having any classes after week 3, except for firefighting. I don't know if it's become harder, because I don't have a reference point for that.

That's all I can think of right now, I will post more if I think of more good advice. Feel free to ask me specific questions too.
wildermind312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

Thank you! That’s definitely helpful. I never try to sugarcoat boot camp. I tell students and applicants that boot camp sucks and you’ll hate your life for the first few weeks. Haha!

Did you feel like the DEP program helped prepare you for what you experienced? I’m a part of a pilot program in recruiting where we are completely overhauling the recruiting method. One part of the whole deal that hasn’t really changed is DEP. So I’m looking at ways it can be improved.
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote