NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp > Back From Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
Navy1013
**Active Duty**

Navy1013 will become famous soon enough
Default Fresh Out

I'm fresh out of Bootcamp. I'm at A-School. If you have any questions I have answers. Its a lot different and changes are coming to bootcamp.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:45 PM   #2
Matt

Matt is a jewel in the rough

Hey man, could you expand on the changes that are coming and what's different?

How does the time go by?
Old 03-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #3
Navy1013
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Hey man, could you expand on the changes that are coming and what's different?

How does the time go by?
Some of the changes that are coming is about haircuts. Females do not have to cut their hair, they are going to do the same for males as long as your hair is in regs. Also they are talking about extended boot camp to 12 weeks due to adding hand to hand combat and rifle to what you will learn. Also there is talks about trying a division or two out with ipads or netbooks because the computers there are crap. All this is in the "talking stages".

The time there is simple- The days go by slow but the weeks go by fast. I was there and gone before I knew it. It was crazy how quick the weeks go by so fast but the days creep.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:11 PM   #4
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy1013 View Post
Some of the changes that are coming is about haircuts. Females do not have to cut their hair, they are going to do the same for males as long as your hair is in regs. Also they are talking about extended boot camp to 12 weeks due to adding hand to hand combat and rifle to what you will learn. Also there is talks about trying a division or two out with ipads or netbooks because the computers there are crap. All this is in the "talking stages".

The time there is simple- The days go by slow but the weeks go by fast. I was there and gone before I knew it. It was crazy how quick the weeks go by so fast but the days creep.
Oh the never ending rumor of extending boot camp to 12 weeks. That's been going on forever now. Navy boot camp won't get any longer. Heck it could easily be 2 weeks shorter. They will also never teach hand to hand combat in boot camp.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
Navy1013
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
Oh the never ending rumor of extending boot camp to 12 weeks. That's been going on forever now. Navy boot camp won't get any longer. Heck it could easily be 2 weeks shorter. They will also never teach hand to hand combat in boot camp.
I agree with you. But the RDC's (Chiefs) had a all hands meeting that talked about it, plus it was mentioned at an all hands meeting at my A school.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
Agrias
**Active Duty**

Agrias is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree with you. But the RDC's (Chiefs) had a all hands meeting that talked about it, plus it was mentioned at an all hands meeting at my A school.
Doesn't matter, they'll keep talking about it. They were probably spray talking about it when those chiefs that told you were in boot camp
Old 03-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
Navy1013
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrias View Post
Doesn't matter, they'll keep talking about it. They were probably spray talking about it when those chiefs that told you were in boot camp
My Chief didn't believe it, but he said it wouldn't surprise him. That's why I said "Talking Stages"
Old 03-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #8
kforbs126

Quote:
There is no need for most rates in the Navy for hand to hand combat.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #9
Matt

Matt is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
There is no need for most rates in the Navy for hand to hand combat.
I don't know man, a lot of people hate the US. These sailors got attacked fairly recently: http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/12/politi...s-over-heards/
Old 03-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #10
Agrias
**Active Duty**

Agrias is on a distinguished road

Still won't make any sense. It's one of those things that require constant training and practice to be effective, they won't be able to keep us refreshed on techniques and stuff. They rather torture us with more GQ drills because that's more important for sailors.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:54 PM   #11
gameingkine
**Active Duty**

gameingkine is on a distinguished road

These were all the same rumors when i was there... if they want any of this to happen it comes from a budget. navy doesn't like spending money :/ and honestly if kids are getting ipads but enlistment bonuses arent there then whats the point.. rifle training and hand to hand good luck. you would have to make that not only a bootcamp thing but a navy wide thing and youd have to make the rifle qual the same as the pistol and have everyone do it every so often. hand to hand is pointless.. just join a mma gym on shore. whatcha gunna do fight the swab on the boat :\
Old 03-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #12
kforbs126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I don't know man, a lot of people hate the US. These sailors got attacked fairly recently: http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/12/politi...s-over-heards/
Not a man. I've been in the Navy over 6 years, 2 deployments. Hand to Hand combat is not needed for most Navy rates. The Navy in general is a support force. Most Sailors will never see combat action.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:05 PM   #13
kforbs126

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameingkine View Post
These were all the same rumors when i was there... if they want any of this to happen it comes from a budget. navy doesn't like spending money :/ and honestly if kids are getting ipads but enlistment bonuses arent there then whats the point.. rifle training and hand to hand good luck. you would have to make that not only a bootcamp thing but a navy wide thing and youd have to make the rifle qual the same as the pistol and have everyone do it every so often. hand to hand is pointless.. just join a mma gym on shore. whatcha gunna do fight the swab on the boat :\
It's funny because I don't know how many times gun shoots were delayed or they couldn't take very many personnel because they didn't have money to buy bullets. I know of a few times where they just "automatically" qual'd people who already were qual'd because we just didn't have the funds.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:50 AM   #14
rosch

rosch has a spectacular aura about

All in all, Thank you Navy1013 for giving us an idea what is being talked about. It is things you heard while you was there, and you did the proper thing by telling us when asked. We all greatly appreciate the information you were able to provide to us.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #15
mimi

mimi is on a distinguished road

Do you know if the haircuts are stopping for all females? I know they are testing it right now and it was going to stop at the end of this month. I am leaving next month and would like to know if I have to cut my hair, if so I want to do it before I go. Thank You.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #16
navycatmc

navycatmc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi View Post
Do you know if the haircuts are stopping for all females? I know they are testing it right now and it was going to stop at the end of this month. I am leaving next month and would like to know if I have to cut my hair, if so I want to do it before I go. Thank You.
The testing has been over for weeks now, we do not have to cut our hair. If it's long enough to put in a bun you'll be okay in sure. My hair is sill short, above shoulder level, so I'm going to be safe and have it trimmed.

"To live will be an awfully big adventure." -Peter Pan
Old 03-10-2015, 01:54 AM   #17
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by navycatmc View Post
The testing has been over for weeks now, we do not have to cut our hair. If it's long enough to put in a bun you'll be okay in sure. My hair is sill short, above shoulder level, so I'm going to be safe and have it trimmed.
The test continues through the end of March.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
Old 03-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #18
Navy1013
**Active Duty**

All the females that I talked to love the fact that they didn't have to cut there hair. The female RDC will teach you how to fix your hair, and it will be the same when you get to the fleet.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #19
clk128

clk128 is on a distinguished road

Tablets is a thing. I think all the divisions coming into ship 3 are getting them now. Haircuts for females aren't mandatory and a lot of RDC's really don't make it a priority. One girl in my division had an undercut and didn't get it fixed until week 3. I knew one girl who had blue streaks in her blonde hair and never got it fixed.
Closed Thread