NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp > Back From Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 09-13-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
rouhanashi

rouhanashi is on a distinguished road
Default 900 divisions

Hey everyone! I just graduated September 4th in a triple threat division and I thought I'd provide some information on 900 divisions.

So first of all, 900 divisions are performing divisions. There are 3 types of 900 divisions which I'll explain in depth a little further down; staff, state flags, and triple threat. We PT less and have much less slack for people who can't pass their PFA or their swim qual, not because we're assholes, but because our "free time" is spent at the drill hall.

Staff divisions, which are all male, run graduation. Their division provides the reviewing commander, master-at-arms, and adjutant for the graduation ceremony. Basically those are the guys that stand right in front of where the CO is sitting and issue commands to the divisions, etc. Their division also has an honor guard that gets inspected by the reviewing officer and/or commanding officer (not 100% sure on who performs the inspection lol). Other than that, they have door openers, bell strikers, bodysnatchers, etc. They go off of very specific cues that help graduation run smoothly.

Next is state flags, which is an integrated division. Obviously they carry state flags, along with U.S. territory flags, and they're kind of like one giant color guard. Their division also provides the actual 5-man color guard (2 rifles, U.S. flag, Navy flag, POW flag) and the drum line.

Last, but not least, is triple threat, which is also an integrated division. They have a band, a choir, an armed exhibition drill team, and non-performers if you don't make the cut or get cut from one of those three. Not sure if all MUs have to be in a triple threat, but I know if you are an MU in a triple threat division you will be performing a solo while the band is playing. The Navy band plays at the beginning of graduation and provides the music you hear in the drill tape during the ceremony, but the triple threat band plays a few songs by themselves and with the choir. I wasn't in band, but I heard the music was prettyyy easy. As for the choir, most of our non-performers came from not making the cut for choir. If you've never done armed exhibition and only have experience in band color guard or armed regulation, you can still do triple threat drill team. For the band people, the rifles are a lot heavier, but you'll get used to it pretty quickly. For armed reg. people, most drill teams do simple, clean moves and save the cool fancy spinning for the RPCO or ARCPO, so as put in the work you're fine.

If you're interested in being in one of these divisions, be aware that only one 900 division is formed per week, but not all week. For example, I arrived on a Tuesday which happened to be the first day they were screening for triple threat. We got a majority of our division strength on Wednesday, with a few stragglers on Thursday. We're housed in ship 02, the USS Reuben James, which is the closest ship to pretty much everything. Only 900 divisions live in ship 02, and when you first get there you'll be sharing a compartment with a senior division that's about to graduate.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Graduation Date: 20150904
rouhanashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
jeannesarah

jeannesarah is on a distinguished road

My son is in a triple threat division right now. He had no intention of volunteering based on what he had read here suggesting it was a lot of extra work with no corresponding reward. After a few days in a division filled with very immature individuals (go figure), when they came back through a second time he raised his hand - he said he figured it couldn't be any worse.

And now he loves it. In a recent letter he said if the guys could learn to shut up boot camp would actually be fun.

Looking back, I'm not sure any of the previous 'negative' posts were written by someone who was actually in a 900 division. So it was really good to read your post with specifics. And of course I understand that every division is unique and no two SRs will have the same experience.

He did say that his chief told them he would have no problem ASMOing anyone who failed a test or PFA. So the pressure to succeed the first time is there.
jeannesarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #3
Jeff

Jeff is on a distinguished road

This just re-enforces my desire to join a 900 division.... January cant come soon enough!
Old 09-16-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
OKC

OKC is on a distinguished road

I have interest in being part of honor guard and drill team. If it means anything I was in NJROTC unarmed/armed drill team. How many of the 800 division recruits would you say had prior drill experience? Not counting band kids.

Also do you volunteer for drill team and honor guard? Or do they just pick based on their perspective of the individual recruits?

I don't want to miss my chance of being part of the 800 division. I leave for MEPS Tuesday morning, hopefully I'll get there the same day. When did you leave and did you get there the same day?
OKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #5
rouhanashi

rouhanashi is on a distinguished road

800 divisions are specwar, 900 is band camp :P
Knowing your 15/16 count manual of arms is extremely helpful for drill team, honestly if you know that the rest is easy. About 2/3 of the drill team had actual drill experience, and even then some of the armed exhibition guys were pretty bad at unarmed drill.

To get into the division at all, they usually ask who wants to spin a rifle or who has experience. They sometimes ask for a demonstration, but I don't know if they do that anymore. It's not a big deal anyways. After that, you're just on the drill team unless you get cut. Most cuts don't happen until about week 4. As for the honor guard, I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure it's the same way.

I left July 7th and I got there the same evening. Don't quote me on this, but I think this week they're forming a new triple threat division. If I'm wrong, then it'll be a staff division. It's staff -> state flags -> triple threat and then it repeats.

Best of luck to you though!! If you have any questions about bootcamp in general I'm still recently graduated and I'm still at rtc on hold.
Graduation Date: 20150904
rouhanashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #6
Keirstrider

Keirstrider is on a distinguished road
Default 900 Staff Divisions

I shipped last November 2015 and graduated December 31st 2015. I had the opportunity to be in a 900 staff division. Being a staff division is a lot different from being a regular rifle division. In addition to the usual drill and learning that you do in boot camp you are also required to serve at the Ceremonial Drill Hall and practice your assigned positions for the Pass-In-Review Ceremony. Usually the timeframe for learning these positions is fast track, your introduced to your position one week and two weeks later your performing. You will perform 2-3 ceremonies, including your own, and be expected to pass along your knowledge to the junior division that will end up taking your spot when you move onto your next training command.

A lot people refer to 900 divisions as band camp, but it really isn't. There are a lot of extra activities and stuff you end up learning in a shortened amount of time. Staff Divisions run the pass-in-review with many different positions, some on the drill deck and highly visible while others are behind the scenes, but no less important. It was a great opportunity.

Being a 900 division is not easy, and it's not a choice. If you end up serving in a 900 division you've got to have your stuff together and be able to pass your PRT better than at the minimum requirements. You will be hand selected by Drill Hall Staff members during your first night at boot camp.
Keirstrider is offline   Reply With Quote