NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp > Back From Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Bingle

Bingle is on a distinguished road
Default Any AVs with questions, I can try to answer them.

Just wanting to offer my help to all avs leaving for boot camp/ coming to a school. I'm about to graduate A school and just want to offer some help. Just ask, I promise I don't bite....
Bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
colabottles

colabottles is on a distinguished road

How difficult do you think it'd be to DEP in as an AV? I've heard mixed things about availability. I graduate this year and wanted to leave any time after July.

How is A School and how was boot camp? How fit were you when you left compared to when you left? Any things to avoid doing in A School/Boot Camp?

Also, what happens after A School?

That's about all I can think of. Thank you for offering advice!
colabottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Bingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by colabottles View Post
How difficult do you think it'd be to DEP in as an AV? I've heard mixed things about availability. I graduate this year and wanted to leave any time after July.

How is A School and how was boot camp? How fit were you when you left compared to when you left? Any things to avoid doing in A School/Boot Camp?

Also, what happens after A School?

That's about all I can think of. Thank you for offering advice!
1. Well it all depends on your ASVAB score, the AV community has the second hardest A school (AT and ET are second hardest, right after Nuke). I got an 83 personally, the lowest I know of in my class is a 7x got about half of the class with a 90+ two with 98's.

2. Boot camp is easy, as long as you keep your mouth shut and pay attention to detail. If you can pay attention to detail and learn not to open your mouth you will do fine. A school is so much more relaxed than boot camp, as long as you pay attention in school you will do fine, the only school I see being a struggle would but AT I level. They have the hardest school out of the three possible for AV. I am O level so I'm not too sure, from what I heard it's pre-calc/calc.

Things to avoid in A school, eh. If you are underage don't drink, I know plenty of guys that do and last weekend alone we had two Navy get caught and a couple marines. Just don't do it, it's not worth the risk, you will regret it.

3. Close to the end of A school you get your orders (I'm close to getting mine actually YAY), when you get your orders you will find out if you have a C school (most likely you will). The C school will be based on the platform (type of Air Craft), you will be working on. The C schools are all over the US, p3/p8 is in Jacksonville, f/a 18 is in Cali (forget where), and so on. Once you complete your C school you will go to the fleet (You can go to fleet before hand, if there is a long time before you start classes at your C school, not very likely though).

As for how fit I was, I went into boot camp at 115 lbs, I'm 5'9" (69"). I was underweight by every standard in the book, shouldn't have been allowed to go actually xD. I was out of shape as well, couldn't pass the physical tests, by the end I was able to with no problem. I'm currently running at 10:15 mile and half without much effort (well was until I got really bad shin splints). I can do 80ish pushups without too much effort and same for sit ups. Once you get to A school, and into your strand class (there are three classes in A school, ATT, AWATT, and your stand. AWATT and strand are put together though), if you go O strand you will be beat. We have the hardest PT on this base,right up there with Air Crew. I have seen Marines fall out of our PT.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
AnnaGB

AnnaGB is on a distinguished road

Wow! Cool I haven't heard from any other AV's yet. I hope I will get AT, but obviously I won't know that for a while. I ship March 5th. I'm 68.5" and weigh 124 so I'm not so far off from where you were haha. I still got 3 months though so I'm going to work my ass off between now and then to get in better shape.

So most AT's get sent to a C-school afterward?
AnnaGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
colabottles

Haha you are the opposite of me. I am currently under my max weight by 4 lbs, so hardly at all! I have made progress though, and have lost almost 25 lbs since the summer to be able to DEP in. I recently hit the 3 mile mark while running. I am hoping to DEP in this month.

I haven't been to MEPS yet, but I did the test in the recruiter's office and got an 83 on it (weird!) and my recruiter assured me I would be fine on the real one since most people tend to score higher.

Is it true that there is a high chance of being able to switch jobs if AV is not available at MEPS the day I go? My recruiter assured me but I can't help but take everything said with a grain of salt.

Once again, thank you for putting this thread up!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
Bingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGB View Post
Wow! Cool I haven't heard from any other AV's yet. I hope I will get AT, but obviously I won't know that for a while. I ship March 5th. I'm 68.5" and weigh 124 so I'm not so far off from where you were haha. I still got 3 months though so I'm going to work my ass off between now and then to get in better shape.

So most AT's get sent to a C-school afterward?
Everyone I've known that had graduated has been sent to C school. I honestly can't think of any platform that wouldn't need a C school. A school is just basic overall knowledge of aircraft and their operations. Then course it base on the f-99 (it's really a f-18 but hey just changed it for training purposes).

Quote:
Haha you are the opposite of me. I am currently under my max weight by 4 lbs, so hardly at all! I have made progress though, and have lost almost 25 lbs since the summer to be able to DEP in. I recently hit the 3 mile mark while running. I am hoping to DEP in this month.

I haven't been to MEPS yet, but I did the test in the recruiter's office and got an 83 on it (weird!) and my recruiter assured me I would be fine on the real one since most people tend to score higher.

Is it true that there is a high chance of being able to switch jobs if AV is not available at MEPS the day I go? My recruiter assured me but I can't help but take everything said with a grain of salt.

Once again, thank you for putting this thread up!
There are going to be many jobs offered to you if you get an 80+ on the real test, and you should. They classifier is prob going to try to get you to go nuke, because they need people in that field. I was going to go nuke at first, took the nuke test and passed it and everything. You are not locked into a job until you leave for boot camp, although once you sign on the dotted line (er put your finger print on the scanner is actually what happens now) it's hard to change your rate. Not sure if I answered your question if not let me know.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
colabottles

I saw some messages on this forum regarding high school transcripts making them ineligible for nuke, so that could be why I've never heard about nukes thus far. I had a rocky year sophomore year, but my GPA is about a 3.1 so it's not stellar but not awful either.

Well my recruiter said if I go to MEPS and the classifier tells me there is only, for example, BM, AD, and CS, I should take one and then he will get it switched to AV before my ship date. But I've also seen conflicting reports about this, with some getting stuck with rates they didn't want. With 6 1/2 months before I'm even eligible to go to boot camp, would this be a likely problem?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
Bingle

Quote:
I saw some messages on this forum regarding high school transcripts making them ineligible for nuke, so that could be why I've never heard about nukes thus far. I had a rocky year sophomore year, but my GPA is about a 3.1 so it's not stellar but not awful either.

Well my recruiter said if I go to MEPS and the classifier tells me there is only, for example, BM, AD, and CS, I should take one and then he will get it switched to AV before my ship date. But I've also seen conflicting reports about this, with some getting stuck with rates they didn't want. With 6 1/2 months before I'm even eligible to go to boot camp, would this be a likely problem?
I actually tried to switch to ET/SS. Mostly because a friend wanted me to, he it a ET/SS. Didn't work out, now may have not been open, or could have been my recruiter....not really sure. I know a few people who did switch while I was in DEP though. I would only take the job if it is something you wouldn't mind doing if you weren't able to switch, say a second choice or something along those lines. Your recruiter might be able to get it changed for you, but I doubt you want to be locked in doing something you don't like for two years if he/she can't.

In the end it's up to you, I've seen it work out good, I've seen it work out bad. I was in dep for around 7 months.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:23 AM   #9
AnnaGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingle View Post
I actually tried to switch to ET/SS. Mostly because a friend wanted me to, he it a ET/SS. Didn't work out, now may have not been open, or could have been my recruiter....not really sure. I know a few people who did switch while I was in DEP though. I would only take the job if it is something you wouldn't mind doing if you weren't able to switch, say a second choice or something along those lines. Your recruiter might be able to get it changed for you, but I doubt you want to be locked in doing something you don't like for two years if he/she can't.

In the end it's up to you, I've seen it work out good, I've seen it work out bad. I was in dep for around 7 months.
By the end I will also have been in DEP for about 7 months. AV was in my like, top 5, but after reading more about it when it was offered and thinking about, I am really happy with my choice. How long is your contract for? Mine's only 4 years. For some reason I thought people who go to C school had longer contracts.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
Bingle

Quote:
By the end I will also have been in DEP for about 7 months. AV was in my like, top 5, but after reading more about it when it was offered and thinking about, I am really happy with my choice. How long is your contract for? Mine's only 4 years. For some reason I thought people who go to C school had longer contracts.
My contract is also 4 years long. Everyone I know here is only on a 4 year contract. I know a few ITs on the other base that are 6 year contacts.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
AnnaGB

Quote:
My contract is also 4 years long. Everyone I know here is only on a 4 year contract. I know a few ITs on the other base that are 6 year contacts.
Cool. Good to know! It would be cool to go to C school in my opinion. The more knowledge the better!
Old 12-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
Bingle

Quote:
Cool. Good to know! It would be cool to go to C school in my opinion. The more knowledge the better!
Yeah it should be nice, I want to get out of pensacola already.....5 months will be just over 6 months when I leave.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
AnnaGB

Quote:
Yeah it should be nice, I want to get out of pensacola already.....5 months will be just over 6 months when I leave.
Does Pensacola suck or are you just over it by now?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
Bingle

Quote:
Does Pensacola suck or are you just over it by now?
It just got old. Didn't expect to be here for 5 months. It's a big drinking town and I'm only 19 so it limits what you can do. There is still plenty to do but got old for me haha.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
AnnaGB

Quote:
It just got old. Didn't expect to be here for 5 months. It's a big drinking town and I'm only 19 so it limits what you can do. There is still plenty to do but got old for me haha.
That sounds like my hometown lol. Not a damn thing to do if you're not 21.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #16
Bingle

Quote:
That sounds like my hometown lol. Not a damn thing to do if you're not 21.
Yeah, kinda sucks. I know plenty of people risking it, but this is a huge military town, never know who they guy next to you could be or could be related to. Was at bath a body works, the girl who worked there, started talking to her. Found out her dad was a Marine Capt. >_>
Old 12-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #17
itsmoogle

itsmoogle is on a distinguished road

I came here in Pensacola Sept. 29 as an AT-O. I just recently classed up for ATT (ATT > AWAT > STRAND) and it involves a shit ton of math. Hope you took physics and other math classes. Everything is taught on the computer, which sort of disappoints me. It's a shitty ass program, too.

Anyway, yeah I heard that strand PT is...deadly. I over exaggerate. lol. I'm sure you'll do fine as an AT/AE. I didn't even know I was an AT-O til I came here.

By the way, your rate is considered as an AIRMAN. Not seaman. Pensacola is a big drinking town. Just don't drink please. It's not worth being separated or whatever. It does get boring here after a while. Been here almost three months... Kind of sucks.
itsmoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #18
AnnaGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmoogle View Post
I came here in Pensacola Sept. 29 as an AT-O. I just recently classed up for ATT (ATT > AWAT > STRAND) and it involves a shit ton of math. Hope you took physics and other math classes. Everything is taught on the computer, which sort of disappoints me. It's a shitty ass program, too.

Anyway, yeah I heard that strand PT is...deadly. I over exaggerate. lol. I'm sure you'll do fine as an AT/AE. I didn't even know I was an AT-O til I came here.

By the way, your rate is considered as an AIRMAN. Not seaman. Pensacola is a big drinking town. Just don't drink please. It's not worth being separated or whatever. It does get boring here after a while. Been here almost three months... Kind of sucks.
What is STRAND? ATT? AWAT? All I know about is the becoming AT or AE which I won't know until later.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #19
Bingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmoogle View Post

O stand PT isn't that that bad, it's not what most people make it out to be at least. It is harder than ATT PT but yeah. You should make it just fine.

Quote:
What is STRAND? ATT? AWAT? All I know about is the becoming AT or AE which I won't know until later.
ATT, AWATT, and strand are all different classes you will take while in a school. I'm uploading a packet with more info on them and more info on AT O level. It should be attached to this message.

Edit it won't upload to the site, uploading it to an external site for you to see it. http://view.samurajdata.se/psview.ph...ge=1&size=full

if you can't see it just let me know.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #20
AnnaGB

oh cooool. thanks, I can see it.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #21
Bingle

Quote:
oh cooool. thanks, I can see it.
No problem.

Bumping the thread for any possible questions out there.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
Bingle

Saw someone asking questions on the chat, haven't been on that much. Any AV/AT questions can be asked here.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #23
Bingle

Bump. If anyone has questions ask away :D. Not doing anything this weekend.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #24
John213AV

John213AV is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bump. If anyone has questions ask away :D. Not doing anything this weekend.
school not so busy ;)

I am in DEP right now as an AV. Looking like I will like to lean towards ATO, but we shall see what happens.

Lots of math? Hmm..., hope I do well! How are the sleeping arrangements at A-school? Do you actually get your own room or share? Like a dorm room? Whats the base and campus like? Hopefully the town is cool too!?
John213AV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #25
Bingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John213AV View Post
school not so busy ;)

I am in DEP right now as an AV. Looking like I will like to lean towards ATO, but we shall see what happens.

Lots of math? Hmm..., hope I do well! How are the sleeping arrangements at A-school? Do you actually get your own room or share? Like a dorm room? Whats the base and campus like? Hopefully the town is cool too!?
For AT-O the math isn't anywhere as bad as for I level. JUst the basic math that all the AT-O/I and AE have to all take.

Sleep arrangements, it's 2-3 to a room. There is one bunk bed and one single bed. Two desks. There are a maximum of 5 to a head, so one room will have 2 people, the other will have 3. Now that's if the barracks are getting full. When I first got there every room was 2 people. The base is big, but for the most part you will be only on the school part of it. Has two stores, a enlisted club that includes a bar, gaming room, tv/computer room and a few food places to eat.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #26
bhr07

bhr07 is on a distinguished road

Hope you are still answering questions?

Just finished MEPS, went Thursday for ASVAB (got an 89) and then did my Medical the next day and was offered AV (and I ship this July).

So I have been out of college for 3 years now and the last Maths class I took was AB Calc. during my junior year and I am looking toward AT-I. How difficult is the material Maths-wise and in general?

As for PT, any tips on what I should do before Basic so that I don't feel overwhelmed when I go?

And lastly, do you have any info about the Aircrew Program? I know you have to do 4 years and re-enlist for 24 months (or something like that), but I am getting mixed views that if I volunteer for it, I will most likely cross-rate?
bhr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #27
John213AV

BHR I don't think we can go and volunteer Aircrew at bootcamp anymore. From what I know from other guys who are Aircrew, it must be guaranteed in your contract at MEPS.

Take it with a grain of salt, but if you don't have it guaranteed now, you won't be flying in any planes.

Im an AV awaiting bootcamp too
Old 03-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #28
bhr07

I didn't know that, but I hadn't planned on gunning for Aircrew at bootcamp though I will try after my 4 years as an AT or AE (whichever I get) and re-enlist for that extra 24 months which sounds just a little more possible.

Do you have any info on what we learn at A school? I don't know much about aircrafts and all that technical stuff so I want to get a a quick look on the material.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #29
John213AV

best bet would be to PM Bingle about that!

When it comes to aircraft, your more than likely going to C school after A-school. A-school essentially your learning about electronics, all that fun stuff me and you have no clue about lol, troubleshooting and I believe you work on this stuff with a Mock aircraft which is essentially an F-18.

Lets say after A school you get assigned to some type of Fixed wing aircraft, your going to C-school to learn all about working with that specific vehicle. Your not going to learn about helo's, and fixed wings, or other types of aircrafts at A school...thats what C school is for!

Again, I am just a Depper like yourself who is gaining knowledge through asking questions and learning on the board so don't take what I saw for exactly what schooling is!
Old 03-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #30
bhr07

Well, thank you for answering anyways. I do appreciate it.

When do you leave for Basic? Is the date I was assigned subject to change or is it a sturdy fixture? As a girl, should I cut my hair before Basic or let them cut it for me?

And I have to admit, I try to be an overachiever hence I feel the need to know what material we are in for since I despise being in the dark about it (especially when it concerns my future).

Also, the more I read about AV the more I like it, but at the same time, I feel wary putting myself in a situation I know nothing of.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:44 AM   #31
Bingle

So sorry about not replying. Working a side job and the navy takes up a lot of my time. As far as working out goes, check the threads on here already I don't know much about physical fitness so I'm not going to try and act like I do.

In A school you'll learn a bunch of pointless stuff, unless you go I level. Then you'll actually have to remember a lot of it lol. As long as you pay attention in class you should have no problem getting through the class. Never be afraid to ask for help or go to the extra class time after everyone is out. Yeah, you might miss a little liberty, but knowing your stuff can pay off with possible E-4 if you finish top of you strand class (that means more money $$$$$xD).

As far as being wary of putting yourself in a situation you know nothing of.....don't expect A school to help you with that. I went from A school to working on my plane (I have a 3 month hold before I start class). You will be greatly messed with by the petty officers in the shop. They will try to get you to fall for so many jokes. Just put yourself out there and try to learn everything. That's what I did, and I get more respect from them then the other airman that has been there 4x as long as I have.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #32
bhr07

One question: do many AV's honestly love their field of work (considering if some of them never even thought about being one before they signed up for it)?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #33
Bingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhr07 View Post
One question: do many AV's honestly love their field of work (considering if some of them never even thought about being one before they signed up for it)?
Eh it's going to be a two part answer.

Part 1: The actually AT part of it, I do like, and so do others in my shop. I'm a electronic/computer nerd so that's why. I get to play with expensive electronics without paying for them, and if they break, then I get another. I also get free schooling on electronics. Every geak/nerd (or whatever word you want to call us), always wants to learn more about electronics.

Part 2: The bull shit, like replacing carpet (I work on a big boeing 707 with carpet on the floor panels) sucks ass. As I've found out AT stands for All Things, at least here in TACAMO.

With this being said, I wouldn't change my job. I might take a chance to go to the I level school just to get more schooling, but I would stay AT. ( I guess ET wouldn't really be bad, it's the same job just not on airplanes.)
Old 03-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #34
John213AV

Ha! I like that...AL THINGS.

So essentially the AT may troubleshoot electronics, and install it if they can fix it.

The AE is taking a part that needs more in depth work, and giving it back to the AT, so the AT can take it back to its vehicle and install it...right?
Old 03-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #35
Bingle

Quote:
Ha! I like that...AL THINGS.

So essentially the AT may troubleshoot electronics, and install it if they can fix it.

The AE is taking a part that needs more in depth work, and giving it back to the AT, so the AT can take it back to its vehicle and install it...right?
No....AT-O level takes the part from the plane (trouble shoots) and installs a new one if needed. Sends it to AT-I to more in depth work to be done, then they most likely send it to civilians because they can only do so much.

AE work on the wiring in the plane. I forget what all for, sorry.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #36
Iamchriswest

Iamchriswest is on a distinguished road

Hey do you get to make a dream sheet on what aircraft you would like?? I would love helo's or maybe f18s and I would definitely love to be in San diego
Iamchriswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #37
John213AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamchriswest View Post
Hey do you get to make a dream sheet on what aircraft you would like?? I would love helo's or maybe f18s and I would definitely love to be in San diego
From what I understand from a friend who just went through A school as an AT, you do get a dream sheet. If your the top of your class you will get to pick what u want for orders. So you wil see that if you want to be in San Diego and work on a helo, then pick that order.

If your not at the top ( I think top 1-3 get to pick) then you will get out into whatever is available that closest fits what you wanted.

Make sense?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #38
Iamchriswest

Iamchriswest is on a distinguished road

Oh alright, makes sense. Ima try my hardest to be in the too cause i dont want to end up with something i dont like. I really dont want to get fixed wing but if it happens it happens.
Iamchriswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:46 AM   #39
Bingle

Quote:
From what I understand from a friend who just went through A school as an AT, you do get a dream sheet. If your the top of your class you will get to pick what u want for orders. So you wil see that if you want to be in San Diego and work on a helo, then pick that order.

If your not at the top ( I think top 1-3 get to pick) then you will get out into whatever is available that closest fits what you wanted.

Make sense?
This is basically how it works, but it's still needs of the Navy. Not all orders will be available when you finish class. When I finished it was mostly hawkeyes and f18 that were open.... I got lucky and got the e-6b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamchriswest View Post
Oh alright, makes sense. Ima try my hardest to be in the too cause i dont want to end up with something i dont like. I really dont want to get fixed wing but if it happens it happens.
Sorry for slow reply, I haven't been on here in a while. haha..
Well as far as getting what you want....getting even 1st place in the class doesn't even mean you will for sure. There are only so many orders to each place and most of the time they good ones are gone haha.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:26 AM   #40
John213AV

Bingle what makes it a "good one" vs. a "crap one"

F18'a sound pretty sweet no?

Is it the location that sucks a big one? You say your lucky to get on the E-6b but why would you say thats better than a Hawkeye? No deployment? Just curious!

I have thought San Diego would be a great place to be stationed and would still probably be my number one pick, however i am a northeast guy and have all my family here and have been thinking recently somewhere in the Virginia wouldn't be terrible either.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #41
JaxSailor22

JaxSailor22 is on a distinguished road

Good and bad orders is all just a perception thing. It's all what you think you'll like and where you think you might like to be. I was top in my class and my first two choices weren't available to select. I ended up west coast when I had wanted east, and got rotary when I thought I wanted fixed wing- and I could not be happier with how things turned out.
JaxSailor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:43 AM   #42
fellawip

fellawip is on a distinguished road

How long is A school for AE or AT? And I know what the sheet says but I'm looking for someone who has actually been there or know someone.
fellawip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #43
collacor

collacor is on a distinguished road
Smile

all the questions I have are here and you have answered
collacor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:54 PM   #44
Agrias
**Active Duty**

Agrias is on a distinguished road

AT right now is looking at being in Pensacola for 6-7 months, AEs is around the same. AE schooling is shorter, they just spent more time on hold.
Agrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #45
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a little late to the gate here, but just to provide current info...

Quote:
And lastly, do you have any info about the Aircrew Program? I know you have to do 4 years and re-enlist for 24 months (or something like that), but I am getting mixed views that if I volunteer for it, I will most likely cross-rate?
Yes, you would have to cross-rate since all Aircrew duties are under the umbrella of the AW[x] series ratings now... but see below for more on cross-rating.

Quote:
BHR I don't think we can go and volunteer Aircrew at bootcamp anymore. From what I know from other guys who are Aircrew, it must be guaranteed in your contract at MEPS.
^ Correct. There are still a few Cryptologic Technician ratings who can volunteer out of A School... but everyone else must be an AW.

Quote:
I didn't know that, but I hadn't planned on gunning for Aircrew at bootcamp though I will try after my 4 years as an AT or AE (whichever I get) and re-enlist for that extra 24 months which sounds just a little more possible.
As of now, Aircrew is closed to all cross-rating except for AWF and AWV Flight Engineer and In-Flight Technician billets wishing to transition to AWO. This is expected to carry through until the completion of fleet transition from the P-3 Orion to P-8 Poseidon patrol aircraft in 2023. There's always the chance for this to change as we expand the maritime patrol community to counter the returning Russian threat... but for the foreseeable future, this is the policy.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote