NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Advanced Electronics Computer Field

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-23-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
Cadlac

Cadlac is on a distinguished road
Default FCs working with GMs

Hello y’all I am new to this so bare with me.

I have already been to meps, I got my Job going into AECF and hoping to be a FC (gunners mate was not available so I choose the next best thing). I know that general FCs work on missle launch systems and larger weapons but I have also herd that FCs get lumped together with GM sometimes and actually work on small arms which is something I am super excited about. My questions are 1) is there any validity to FCs working on small arms and 2) if the training for FCs is much more technical, do they get any training in small arms maintenance

Thanks
Future sailor Boudreau
Cadlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadlac View Post
Hello y’all I am new to this so bare with me.

I have already been to meps, I got my Job going into AECF and hoping to be a FC (gunners mate was not available so I choose the next best thing). I know that general FCs work on missle launch systems and larger weapons but I have also herd that FCs get lumped together with GM sometimes and actually work on small arms which is something I am super excited about. My questions are 1) is there any validity to FCs working on small arms and 2) if the training for FCs is much more technical, do they get any training in small arms maintenance

Thanks
Future sailor Boudreau
1) A lot of FCs are involved with ATFP (Anti-Terrorism Force Protection), which means they do get involved with small arms. It can be anything from helping the armory to actually being a VBSS team member. It can vary depending on where you're at.

2) You will almost certainly not be doing much maintenance on small arms as part of your actual duties; that's the GMs job. You can certainly always volunteer to come down and help though. I don't see any GM turning you down haha

/r
CTT1
Old 11-25-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
Cadlac

Cadlac is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Hey thanks man for replying, when I was at meps they told me GM was not available but apparently AECF was (surprisingly). My Recruter was telling me about him being an FC and still working on small arms and in a armory , so I am optimistic that I will still get to do that work while also performing my other duties. (On a side note) I herd that AECF is a difficult rate to get into, surprised the hell out of me when I saw I had that as an option and not GM
Cadlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadlac View Post
Hey thanks man for replying, when I was at meps they told me GM was not available but apparently AECF was (surprisingly). My Recruter was telling me about him being an FC and still working on small arms and in a armory , so I am optimistic that I will still get to do that work while also performing my other duties. (On a side note) I herd that AECF is a difficult rate to get into, surprised the hell out of me when I saw I had that as an option and not GM
Availability just comes down to manning levels. So we just have enough GMs in your year group is all.

And like I said, it just depends on where you're stationed. It's not out of the realm of possibility at all that you can get into that as an FC. Just depends what command you're at.

/r
CTT1

Tags
aecf work