NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Advanced Electronics Computer Field

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
notcoreyclark

notcoreyclark is on a distinguished road
Default NEC options for ET or FC

I was just wondering what the possible NECs are in the AECF field. I like to learn as much as I can and want to know the possibilities.

Ship 15jul14 AECF
Div 284 pir 12sep14

ETSA Clark
notcoreyclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by notcoreyclark View Post
I was just wondering what the possible NECs are in the AECF field. I like to learn as much as I can and want to know the possibilities.
There are a lot of options. I know I've posted a link on here with the official NEC booklet. You can use the about.com links which are probably missing some but you'll get the idea.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navynecs/a/et.-urm.htm

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navynecs/a/fcm.htm
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
notcoreyclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
There are a lot of options. I know I've posted a link on here with the official NEC booklet. You can use the about.com links which are probably missing some but you'll get the idea.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navynecs/a/et.-urm.htm

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navynecs/a/fcm.htm
Thanks!

Ship 15jul14 AECF
Div 284 pir 12sep14

ETSA Clark
Old 02-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
Rogers784

Rogers784 is on a distinguished road

Its always a good idea to research the NEC's that are out there because when you get to A school, you will pick your orders towards the end of your schooling and depending on the needs of the Navy, there may only be a few NEC's available. You will also pick depending on your GPA standing and you may be picking with one or two other FC classes depending on the circumstances. Whatever you pick though, you can plan on being at TSC Great Lakes for a while (months) after you graduate.
Rogers784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
Bahrke

Bahrke is on a distinguished road

I can definitely break down FC for you, since I'm in that field. You have 2 different sides of FC world, Aegis and Conventional. I am on the Aegis side so I will go throught that first.

FCS (Fire Control System)
-Deals basically with all aspects of the SM2/3 missiles.. lots of gear associated with it. Everything from old school computers to newer baselines that have blade servers and touch screens.
-Theres 2 types of FCS nec's COTS, AND MILSPEC
-COTS deals with Baseline 7+ basically just newer gear that is a bit easier to deal with and troubleshoot.
-MILSPEC (MilitarySpecific) Has older computers from the 60's 70's but pertains to most of todays DDG'S and CG's

SPY
-Deals with the Spy radar. The eyes of Aegis and the ship as a whole. Has incredible range and can simultaneously find and track 100+ targets.
-There are a bunch of different versions (tracks) of Spy and depending on the track you'll be put on a different ship. I believe the newest version is the Spy-1D/V .. It will be on the newest DDGS.
-Lots of work in this field, long hours, but you get recognized a lot because the Spy is one of the most important pieces of gear on the ship.

Computer
-Deals with the computers that talk to all the FCS gear. Glorified IT's here. Don't work much with weapons or radars. To my knowledge the computers you'll be working on are the UYK-43. A very old tanky computer that is quite reliable. Also believe computer techs are on the less modern ships as well alongside the FCS Milspec techs.
-Pretty easy job from what I've been told. Mostly on call waiting for things to break down.

ACNT (Aegis Computer Networking Tech)
-On more modern gear. Like the Computer techs a glorified IT. A lot of work on routers, Linux, and all kinds of computers. Don't know much more about this one but hear it's a pretty good gig.

DISPLAY
-Work on the CRT displays that reside in all of our work centers/CIC/CSMC. On call like the computer techs mostly. Not much work with weapons or radars like ACNT and Computer.

Thats all of Aegis. Just remember, within each of the different jobs there are multiple "tracks" meaning the newer the gear, the higher the track. So most people shoot for the newest gear. If you want this, work hard for a good GPA in A-School. You pick your C-School orders based on GPA rank.

Now, for the conventional world. I don't know a whole lot, beings I'm Aegis but i'll give it a whirl

CIWS
(Close In Weapon System)
-Of course, the always popular CIWS. Awesome machine. Shoots 20mm rounds 4500 rounds/minute. Includes its own FC radar also .. so it's a pretty demanding /rewarding job. Theres schools in both San Diego and Norfolk. CIWS is on almost every ship we use today. From Carriers, LHDS, Cruisers, Destroyers.. So there's tons of oppuritunites.

Tomahawk
-I'm sure you'll hear a lot about Tomahawk tech going through ATT/A-school. They get a rep for being the laziest and doing the least amount of work. It helps that there really isn't much to their gear.
-Used to require a Top-Secret clearance but from what I've heard doesn't anymore.
-Missiles that were used in Gulf war, Libya, Syria were all Tomahawk. Pretty frequently used system.

RAM/SEA SPARROW
-Kinda gets foggy at this point. On the orders we picked from I believe these were grouped together as SSDS (Ships self defense system) Basically more missiles that protect the ship. We rarely test them from what I've heard. Only met a couple techs that worked on this system.

MK160 (5 inch Cannon)
-Very well-known gun. Most frequently fired beside the CIWS. Glorified Gunners Mates.
-Work a lot w/ the Gunners Mates and sometimes get their work loads.

That hits the majority of NEC's that I've seen given out from A-School. There are a couple more, like MK-92 (3 inch frigate version of MK160) but all frigates are being decommisioned. And a couple other jobs that work on ET type gear such as FC radars on carriers. (48E). I might have forgot a few others, but that is basically the FC world for you out of A-school.
As for ET's its mostly Communications and non-FC radars. Maybe an ET can come on and give me their version of this breakdown.

Any questions e-mail me at cody.bahrke@gmail.com

FC3 Bahrke
Bahrke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 AM   #6
bellhead

bellhead is on a distinguished road
Default ET NEC's

I'll post my review of ET NEC's...

After A school your orders will determine your initial NEC's.... I picked a Comsec school as I didn't like working on radars, and the advice from our Sea Daddy was to get a crypto nec and we would avoid radars for the rest of our careers unless we requested it. This is due to you needed a TS/SCI clearance for the access for the spaces the crypto gear is stored in. Which is the tech control or ships messaging "radio room". Also almost all comm ET's will get a TS/SCI as they work will work in the tech control facility where all comms and message traffic are at. Also you will have SAP clearances you will need to have also depending on how much your comm site works with CT's.

ET's work primarily on Search Radars, weather radars, and approach radars for planes, or communication systems. You can go to about.com and find out more about specific NEC's, for these.

As for the comms, you have shored based comms primarily Satcom and HF coms, also you have vhf and ufh radios for the airplanes, telephone systems, wan and lan circuits, routers, switches, multiplexers, and optical tranmission equipment.

If you go comm you have a good chance of being stationed overseas as opposed to being on a ship. Comm ET's spend about 40% of there time on ships, with 40% US, and 20% overseas shore duty, there are trade offs here, my shore based nec locations where Adak Alaska, Guam, Diego Garcia, and Spain. You'll be praying for a ship after a month at Adak.
bellhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #7
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
I'll post my review of ET NEC's...

After A school your orders will determine your initial NEC's.... I picked a Comsec school as I didn't like working on radars, and the advice from our Sea Daddy was to get a crypto nec and we would avoid radars for the rest of our careers unless we requested it. This is due to you needed a TS/SCI clearance for the access for the spaces the crypto gear is stored in. Which is the tech control or ships messaging "radio room". Also almost all comm ET's will get a TS/SCI as they work will work in the tech control facility where all comms and message traffic are at. Also you will have SAP clearances you will need to have also depending on how much your comm site works with CT's.

ET's work primarily on Search Radars, weather radars, and approach radars for planes, or communication systems. You can go to about.com and find out more about specific NEC's, for these.

As for the comms, you have shored based comms primarily Satcom and HF coms, also you have vhf and ufh radios for the airplanes, telephone systems, wan and lan circuits, routers, switches, multiplexers, and optical tranmission equipment.

If you go comm you have a good chance of being stationed overseas as opposed to being on a ship. Comm ET's spend about 40% of there time on ships, with 40% US, and 20% overseas shore duty, there are trade offs here, my shore based nec locations where Adak Alaska, Guam, Diego Garcia, and Spain. You'll be praying for a ship after a month at Adak.
ET's don't get NEC locked anymore. Most ET's I know have a comms and radar NEC, it's actually better to be more well rounded for the advancement exam. You also don't need a Top Secret to be in the radio room. They just kick you out if they need to load crypto.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
bellhead

bellhead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
ET's don't get NEC locked anymore. Most ET's I know have a comms and radar NEC, it's actually better to be more well rounded for the advancement exam. You also don't need a Top Secret to be in the radio room. They just kick you out if they need to load crypto.
I was in 20 years ago so the NEC thing has changed, the reason was back then it was much harder to get a TS clearance with Crypto due to the Walker event. Also I worked in a tech control facility, and to work in the facility as I was at you needed a TS/SCI. Also one thing we were required to do was qualify as a RM watch stander and supervisor of the watch.
bellhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #9
notcoreyclark

Thanks for all the info! All of it is really helpful.

Ship 15jul14 AECF
Div 284 pir 12sep14

ETSA Clark