NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Advanced Electronics Computer Field

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 10-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
Jazzy

Jazzy is on a distinguished road
Default Marriage

Would it mess up anything or cause problems if we were to get married after A school but before C school?
Jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

It shouldn't be a problem.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
Jazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
It shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks good to know
Old 10-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
calie89

calie89 is on a distinguished road

I just checked in to C school a few days ago, and they even included instructions for what to do if you got married en route, so I assume lots of people do that.
calie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
NavyBrat

NavyBrat is on a distinguished road

I have a question on this topic as well. My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 7 years and we have started talking about when to get married. Now that I'm joining the Navy when would the best time be? Before bootcamp, in between bootcamp and A school (if possible), or after A school? If I get my rate changed to Nuke I will be in school for a couple years so that's why I'm wanting to know if it can be done before I leave. If we do get married, will he live with me during A school or does he have to live off base?
Old 10-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
asailorswife

asailorswife is on a distinguished road

Getting married after he's been through bootcamp doesn't make a difference anymore. A lot try to get married the weekend they have after they graduate, but that's really tough to do. If you're serious about getting married, honestly, do it before he leaves..

NavyBrat - if y'all get married, as a Nuke, he'll be able to join you during school. Be forewarned though - that school is TOUGH, and you'll want to put as much attention on school as you can. Maintaining a household on top of that adds a little more stress..

Sarah

asailorswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
calie89

calie89 is on a distinguished road

Also, keep in mind, if you get married after you arrive at your A school (or even the weekend after boot) you will not have a dependent on your orders to A school, so the Navy will not pay to move them to wherever you are. (Not saying they cannot live there, but they will not move on the Navy's dime)

The only way they will pay to move them to your A school is if they are on your orders beforehand (while they are issued at boot) I know Nuke school has 3 phases, so I don't know if they cut new orders for each phase, If they do and you acquire a dependent on one phase, they will be on your next set of orders.

My husband and I were also considering the same thing you are. We ended up getting married before I left, and it made everything so much easier. As said above, if you are serious about getting married, it makes everything so much easier if you can do it before.

Also, you may have to be prepared to wait a long time for a Nuke contract as a female. I signed for AECF in April 2012, and was supposed to leave in Oct 2012. I too was waiting on a Nuke contract. I did finally get offered one, but it wouldn't have left until June 2013, so I opted to keep my current contract and leave in October.
calie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
NavyBrat

NavyBrat is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the advice and experiences. I will keep these in mind when we talk about it more.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
Seth_Breen_CTT

Seth_Breen_CTT is on a distinguished road

Just throwing in my experience with it all, I found that getting married before hand is the best route. For one, their medical insurance kicks in after Bootcamp, so that is a plus. While you are in A school...etc. and your spouse decides to either stay where they live (for instance my wife is a teacher so she will finish out her school year before moving) so she will receive a portion of the "with dependents" housing allowance while I am at school living in the barracks. I am glad my wife actually found this sight because she has SO many questions and it is hard to find the answers to certain things.
Seth_Breen_CTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
Direland

Direland is on a distinguished road

Get married before. I'm trying to piece together a way to marry my fiancé now, while I'm at A school. It just becomes harder if you wait.
Direland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
Jazzy

My boyfriends leaves Monday the 4th. He's very old fashion and is still to getting married after A school. This is fine with me. If its meant to be everything will pull together. He has about two years worth of schooling so after we get married he will still have about a year left.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #12
asailorswife

asailorswife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth_Breen_CTT View Post
Just throwing in my experience with it all, I found that getting married before hand is the best route. For one, their medical insurance kicks in after Bootcamp, so that is a plus. While you are in A school...etc. and your spouse decides to either stay where they live (for instance my wife is a teacher so she will finish out her school year before moving) so she will receive a portion of the "with dependents" housing allowance while I am at school living in the barracks. I am glad my wife actually found this sight because she has SO many questions and it is hard to find the answers to certain things.
EVERYTHING kicks in the minute they are entered into DEERS and enrolled in tricare. This WILL happen DURING Boot - not after. Your spouse will also receive FULL BAH (or with dependents BAH) for where they are during boot camp and a-school. It's usually back paid, and received about halfway through boot.

FYI though - if your school is shorter than 6 months, or you have less than 6 months left by time she finishes her school year, she won't be joining you at a-school. She'll have to wait until you have PCS orders. (I don't know what your rate is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
My boyfriends leaves Monday the 4th. He's very old fashion and is still to getting married after A school. This is fine with me. If its meant to be everything will pull together. He has about two years worth of schooling so after we get married he will still have about a year left.
It means that you won't be on his orders for a-school at all. You will be able to move to his school, BUT you probably won't be moved by the Navy.. Meaning, moving is on your own dime and time.

Sarah

asailorswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #13
Jazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by asailorswife View Post
It means that you won't be on his orders for a-school at all. You will be able to move to his school, BUT you probably won't be moved by the Navy.. Meaning, moving is on your own dime and time.
Yeah we understand that. We just going to not rush into things because it will make navy life easier. He left today so we are sticking with getting married after A school. Moving ourselves to C school is ok it's just that it wouldn't be cool to the first duty station. Especially of out was out of the US.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #14
navycatmc

navycatmc will become famous soon enough

Glad I found this post, my recruiters been telling me I can't get married until after A School because I signed up as single. I'm not leaving until April so I have plenty of time!
navycatmc is offline   Reply With Quote