NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Advanced Electronics Computer Field

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 09-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Jazzy

Jazzy is on a distinguished road
Default Rank

My boyfriend is going in as an E3. I was wondering after basics would he be an E4 and how long before he can be an E5 or 6?
Jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Right after bootcamp no, he wouldn't be eligible yet. I take it your boyfriend's an AECF since you're posting in this thread?

In that case: AECF is one of the rates that does automatic promotion to E4 but only after completion of A school and time in rate. So that's at least 6 months after his first day of active duty, but if his A school isn't done he may not get it right at the six month mark. (This is the case for me, I've been an E3 for 10 months already, but I'm not eligible to advance until I graduate. A petty officer has to have a rating!)

After he gets E4, it's generally one year before you can test for E5 - although I think you can test after six months if you get an EP (early promotion) on your eval. The tests are given twice a year. Passing the test doesn't guarantee that you'll advance though - they only take a certain percentage, and there's a few other things besides the test that go into the determination of who gets promoted.

After that E6 is the same thing, but it's 3 years after getting E5 (once again I think EP will reduce the time somewhat).

P.S. It's rate/rating for enlisted. Rank refers to officers.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

If he is going AECF, he will be an ET or FC. Since he is going in as an E3 he can put on E4 immediately after finishing A school. He can also take the E5 exam without waiting since push button E4 gets paid and advanced immediately. But do not expect him to make E5 for at least a year after he puts on E4 and that's on the low side. ET's advance really slow, it took me 4 tests to make E5 and that's considered faster than normal. Usually takes 5 or 6 tests for ET's. FC's it all depends on the type of FC he would get. They have better advancement then ET's but you are still looking at, at least 2 tests or more to make it.

Now for E6 it's 3 years after you make E5, you would have to get back to back EP evals to cut time off the 3 year wait.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Jazzy

Thanks for the info. Yes he is in AECF program and leaves Nov 4th. I'm just studying as much info as I can. Can't wait until he graduates and find out if he's an ET or FC. Is there a better of the two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
Right after bootcamp no, he wouldn't be eligible yet. I take it your boyfriend's an AECF since you're posting in this thread?

In that case: AECF is one of the rates that does automatic promotion to E4 but only after completion of A school and time in rate. So that's at least 6 months after his first day of active duty, but if his A school isn't done he may not get it right at the six month mark. (This is the case for me, I've been an E3 for 10 months already, but I'm not eligible to advance until I graduate. A petty officer has to have a rating!)

After he gets E4, it's generally one year before you can test for E5 - although I think you can test after six months if you get an EP (early promotion) on your eval. The tests are given twice a year. Passing the test doesn't guarantee that you'll advance though - they only take a certain percentage, and there's a few other things besides the test that go into the determination of who gets promoted.

After that E6 is the same thing, but it's 3 years after getting E5 (once again I think EP will reduce the time somewhat).

P.S. It's rate/rating for enlisted. Rank refers to officers.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Jazzy

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping he gets E4 sooner than later. We will take one step at a time. Once he gets E4 then he will focus on E5. I worry more than he does lol. Once he finishes basic I will see how everything folds out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
If he is going AECF, he will be an ET or FC. Since he is going in as an E3 he can put on E4 immediately after finishing A school. He can also take the E5 exam without waiting since push button E4 gets paid and advanced immediately. But do not expect him to make E5 for at least a year after he puts on E4 and that's on the low side. ET's advance really slow, it took me 4 tests to make E5 and that's considered faster than normal. Usually takes 5 or 6 tests for ET's. FC's it all depends on the type of FC he would get. They have better advancement then ET's but you are still looking at, at least 2 tests or more to make it.

Now for E6 it's 3 years after you make E5, you would have to get back to back EP evals to cut time off the 3 year wait.