NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Advanced Electronics Computer Field

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 09-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Kelvinli

Kelvinli is on a distinguished road
Default NEC and picking orders

Hi I know I should have asked this a long time ago but here it go goes. So aside from gpa in school, if you have the chance to pick orders for the NEC you want for c school, will they give a list that describes all of them, including if its secret or top secret and all that good stuff? Oh and I assume that almost all of the people in AECF get orders for c school, correct me of I'm wrong. Thanks
Kelvinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvinli View Post
Hi I know I should have asked this a long time ago but here it go goes. So aside from gpa in school, if you have the chance to pick orders for the NEC you want for c school, will they give a list that describes all of them, including if its secret or top secret and all that good stuff? Oh and I assume that almost all of the people in AECF get orders for c school, correct me of I'm wrong. Thanks
ET you won't get to pick. FC maybe you'll get to pick. And yes both get C schools.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Kelvinli

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
ET you won't get to pick. FC maybe you'll get to pick. And yes both get C schools.
But based on where they need people right? And if you are qualified up front?
Old 09-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
kforbs126

Quote:
But based on where they need people right? And if you are qualified up front?
It's where the navy needs you. If you can't qualify for top secret you most likely won't get those orders.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
calie89

calie89 is on a distinguished road

For FC's, it's really just the luck of the draw based on the orders you have to pick from. The group that picked right before me only had conventional NECs, and my group had a pretty nice mix.

However, as a female, I was pretty limited when it came to schools that had follow on orders, like FCS or Tomahawk. There was only 1-2 Tomahawk for females, and I think 4-5 FCS. It was irrelevant to me, as I wanted Spy, which did not have follow ons, but when I pick in C school, I will be more limited than the males in my class.

But, the better you do in A school, the higher you pick, so you have a better chance of getting what you want out of the group you have to pick from.

Again, all of this is only for FC's.
calie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
Kelvinli

Quote:
Originally Posted by calie89 View Post
For FC's, it's really just the luck of the draw based on the orders you have to pick from. The group that picked right before me only had conventional NECs, and my group had a pretty nice mix.

However, as a female, I was pretty limited when it came to schools that had follow on orders, like FCS or Tomahawk. There was only 1-2 Tomahawk for females, and I think 4-5 FCS. It was irrelevant to me, as I wanted Spy, which did not have follow ons, but when I pick in C school, I will be more limited than the males in my class.

But, the better you do in A school, the higher you pick, so you have a better chance of getting what you want out of the group you have to pick from.

Again, all of this is only for FC's.
Haha yeah I really don't know what kind of NEC I want though but if I can't qualify or don't get get a top secret NEC, will that affect my chances of applying for STA 21 later on?
Old 09-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
kforbs126

Quote:
Haha yeah I really don't know what kind of NEC I want though but if I can't qualify or don't get get a top secret NEC, will that affect my chances of applying for STA 21 later on?
It could possibly limit you as an officer if you can't qualify for Top Secret. Though guppy is probably better to answer on that. I know my divo's always had TS clearance.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
It could possibly limit you as an officer if you can't qualify for Top Secret. Though guppy is probably better to answer on that. I know my divo's always had TS clearance.
Officers have to have a Secret clearance. Some divos will get TS depending on what division they get.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:25 AM   #9
Tootsieroll7

Tootsieroll7 is on a distinguished road

Just curious, how competitive was GPA for your graduating group? I hear 94% may not get SPY. :/
Tootsieroll7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
calie89

calie89 is on a distinguished road

Surprisingly, a lot of people did not want SPY, so people were still picking it towards the end of our group. And there were also spots left over, so people who had to get new orders for whatever reason were put in.

People tend to avoid it because they hear that it is a lot of work and can be hard, but I was ok with that.
calie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
military bratt

military bratt is on a distinguished road

What do all of the NEC do? I know they are specialty's but what exactly does each one do?
Old 12-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
kforbs126

Quote:
Originally Posted by military bratt View Post
What do all of the NEC do? I know they are specialty's but what exactly does each one do?
There is too many to list and describe. Best to wait to see if you get ET or FC. ET's are broken down into comms and radar techs and a few other small specialties. FC's will be AEGIS, Tomahawk, CWIS, and a few others.